Should I Start Collecting G1 Figures or 2007 Movie Figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Nov 26, 2016.

1. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

I know most people are gonna say "Its personal preference" blah blah blah, but that doesn't help. I already have a bit of a collection going, but I want a focus. Both G1 and the 2007 movie are dear to me. The 2007 movie is what got me into Transformers when I was 5 (Im 14 now) but the G1 cartoons is what got me from a casual Transformers fan to the point when I invite girls over im like "Hey babe, im about to show you something big, real big. MY TRANSFORMERS COLLECTION!" So i love them both. What would be the pros and cons about both 2007 movie and G1? Remember im 14, so price is a factor. Thanks!

2. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    G1 of course!! Do yourself the favor and start with these Titan returns deluxe figures! At $10 a pop even a fetus such as yourself can afford them, and they're awesome!! Walmart.com(get mom or dads permission, and their credit card) and they are all there for $10 free shipping to the store for pickup.

3. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

Lol i meant original G1 figures.

4. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

Well, the "pros" of G1 is that the figures all have a rich history, from being former Diaclone, Microchange, and other Japanese toys from way back. Have some fun figuring out why the Dinobots and Insecticons have pilot seats.;)  You can also decorate them up with stickers which adds more enjoyment. They have diecast metal parts in some of the figures which should astonish a young man like yourself. :p  Simple transformations for fun playabilty, no complicated stuff. You gotta go G1 dude!:thumb  They're a true pleasure that last a lifetime.

5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Hey I too started with the 2007 movie but the G1 cartoon is what pushed me forward as the HUGE Transformers fan I am today.

From my experience I'd go with the 2007 figures, the G1 figures are bricks, metal, and some like Ironhide and Ratchet are not very good representations of their on screen counterparts. The opposite can be said of the movie figures, but the only con i can think of for the 07 figures is their complicated transformations which is why I love modern TFs and can appreciate the originals for and that is simple transformations. Then again I am a guy who prefers my figure to have all the articulation a modern Hasbro release can give and so the G1 figures are not fun for me to look at on my shelf or fiddle with in my hand. That is why I collect CHUG for my G1 need.

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    07 is cheaper but the figures aren't that good.
    If you go movie start at Rotf.

7. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Given that you are 14 and that the 2007 movie is what got you into Transformers. I would suggest focusing on the 2007 movie line.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Neither. A fair amount of vintages are hitting their degradation point, and the 2007 movie is probably getting anniversary merchandise next year.

9. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Lmao @ I'm gonna show you somethin big!!! If that gets you laid then I applaud you.

If I was 14 I'd stick to what you grew up with. Leave the G1 vintage to the old school cats! Plus they typically cost more than the pos bayformer crap anyways

• Like Like x 2
  10. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I guess just get what appeals to you, but don't feel "obligated" to be interested in the G1 toys just because they were the original. I'd say maybe get one of each and see which you like better.

11. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    using transformers to get girls? is this a spam thread? LOL

12. Big Bronze Rim

Big Bronze Rim Moderator

Personally in your position I wouldn't go in on either G1 or bayverse. At this stage both of those lines are going to (likely) be harder to acquire for someone your age. You're better off with something you can currently buy at the store like Titans Return. It is a nice G1 alternative that will get you the decently articulated characters that look close to the G1 cartoon, while being affordable. While you have a connection with the movie, tracking the figures down will likely require eBay or trips to toy conventions or the like. If your parents are supportive of this then great. As for original G1 toys, you better be ready to spend some money on clean versions of what you want. Also as mentioned, many of the toys really aren't the best representation of the toon models. If that's what you really want then go for it, but it's not what I'd recommend.

13. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    G1 figures? Ugh, how droll. Generations are great homages to the great G1 that are cheap, fun, and easy to get.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

Unless you're into them for the novelty of it, I wouldn't bother with G1 figures. They're expensive, often difficult to find complete, and are ultimately not terribly impressive once you get them. Most modern figures are going to be a lot more fun to have and mess around with, so out of those two I'd definitely go with '07 Movie. There are some really great gems of engineering in that line, especially as it evolves into ROTF and DOTM.

That being said, if you're willing to branch out of those choices, I think the current lines (Combiner Wars, Titans Return, etc.) are some of the most fun and well-designed Transformers toys since Animated (which would also be a great line to collect, and the only line I've ever gone near-completion on).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kirby0189

Kirby0189 Soundpost

G1 figures have not aged well, and getting 2007 figures might be hard at this point in time (actually, the same goes for G1 toys). If I were you, I would buy more recent toys.

16. LSyd

LSyd Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i recommend you go movie line, maybe with a focus on the upcoming 10th anniversary series. at this point you could probably pick and choose the best movie figures from all of the Bayverse lines.
    if you go G1, you should focus on the platinum reissues and commemorative series for a start, then branch out into the wider scope of vintage G1.

-

17. WheelWave140

WheelWave140 Hate's not cool, dudes!

News Credits:
    Agreed. I don't think I've ever had anybody list my transformer collection as a positive in our relationship. If it doesn't work for a girl, it sure as hell won't work for a guy

18. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm going to pull an Uncle Tresob and throw a wet blanket:
    If you are 14, skip collecting and save your money. You will thank me in ten years when you have to buy a car or an engagement ring...and then again in another twenty years when you have to put a down payment on a house.

If you refuse that advice, I offer a merely damp shawl: buy the new generations stuff. They are the figures us old people wish we had when we were kids.

Now for the moist handkerchief: buy the new generations stuff as an ongoing thing, but hunt down the core cast of the 2007 movie for nostalgia purposes. For instance, I have the core cast in Legends/Legion scale as a kind of Bayverse tribute corner.

But, honestly, although you might only spend a little bit of money here and there now...it will add up over time.

• Like Like x 3
  19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    If you need to ask others what you want to collect/own, best not even start. Wait til you actually find something you are passionate about, something you are willing to mark your body permanently over. I'd get an Autobot symbol tattoo easily, and already have a Crimson Fists Space Marines symbol on my arm. I am several several several mounds of money deep in both TFs and Warhammer/40K, with no regrets. If you can't say that about what you want to collect, then collecting isn't for you. Unless you go for shot glasses or something like Pokemon cards.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey man you should see the looks on the girls' faces when I whip out my "Devastator"

• Like Like x 3