Should I sell my TFC Hercules and replace with Unite Warriors Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Megatronus 1981, Dec 17, 2015.

1. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    i only have room for one and that def won't be the one

2. PedrOptimusPrime

PedrOptimusPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Yeah I got rid of my combiner wars devy, while it was neat, it did not hold up at all during play time and posing was almost pointless as the joints in the arms were far too weak and the legs were mediocre at best....really only looks good in a regular stance, any type of posing outside a standard a stance is out the window. Hercules is pretty great especially for custom work as he's fairly cheap these days and holds up great for posing. Honestly I'd hold off to see how generation toys turns out or maybe even Toyworlds devy altho TW has been lacking in the combiner department as of late....and if their dino combiner is any indication of how their devy is gonna turn out I wouldn't expect too much from tw's offering to be REAL honest without having to modify the figure a fair amount and add future floor polish to reinforce combiner joint connections...

3. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I'm really not the biggest fan of Devastator, so Hercules works just fine for me. He's actually my least favorite combiner, so Hercules fills the Classics Devastator role nicely for me.

4. 18inchcombiner

18inchcombiner Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    God yes & save yourself 200 bucks. Plus as least you have a legit voyager scale at 18" with a great proportioned chest. The head is too small but that gets a pass bc it's not MP but a nice stand in to put next to your MP's. TIGHT JOINTs, everything locks in place, easy weight & you can display it with his legs standing upright.

HERCULES is way outdated now in every way & so is this scale that fits no LEGIT scale except being undersized CHUG. I take this seriously bc Transformers are suppose to be giant robots so combiners should be bigger. I never liked Hercules but was good for it's time when there where NO combiners except vintage. I don't get how people can HANDCUFF themselves to a toy & not see the possibility of bigger & better.

5. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's what I did.

6. Megatronus 1981

Megatronus 1981 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I finally caved in and brought the Unite warriors Devy, he is great and not without a few flaws but the closest the MP we have yet IMO. Still kept my Herc figure and kept him as my Devy Trion and the unite figures in robot form, love Bonecrusher!
    Thank for your advice on here

7. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    Yep. He's my IDW/Chug Devy also. My Herc + upgrades aren't going anywhere. Especially not being sold for the terrible HasTak one.

Very much disagree. HasTaks is an extremely hollow, drunkin' mess. And the individual figures are are even worse. I have never seen something so gaudy, ugly, and downright despicable - you say the price is good but I say it's NOT considering it's still $100.00+ and you're getting such shit quality.

At least *most* 3P stuff is a bang for your buck (with some shitty e-tailer mark up). I would rather pay $65.00 for a solid amazing single Transformer, rather than pay $25.00 for a hollow POS.

Lastly, I know you're all about combiners being large and in charge, but I don't care. The extreme laziness of the animators and the mentality of "let's make them actually become BIGGER THAN NORMAL in combined mode because RAWR!" is quite frankly absurd (but it's a children's show, soooo...)

I think it's been mentioned before by quite a lot of fine individuals that a combiner should only be as large as the sum of its parts. Mass Shifting is the most ridiculous thing EVER. I don't care how much I love TF, I will never, ever be a fan of Mass Shifting.

And finally, to the OP:

I'm glad you kept your Herc as the prices you would sell him for just wouldn't be worth it. Keep them as individual bots or something, or just something to mess around with outside of a display case.

Happy to hear you're good with HasTak's as well. I may personally dislike it, but it's awesome to have choices and always cool to see a fellow collector happy with their purchases.

I love my Herc (+upgrades) though. He will always be my CHUG/IDW-collection Devy.

Attached Files:

8. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    I got the unite warriors devy last week sometime, I also have herc. I feel a bit odd that he doesnt scale with the other combiners I have (TFC, Warbo) but I always disliked how little the individual modes resembled the characters they represented....I know modern updated yada yada. The takara devy was the combiner I really wanted yes its not as hefty but pics dont do them justice. If you have a friend with them take the time to go see them.

I kinda feel herc is one of those pieces of history ( i know weird) and it ushered in the original combiner wars. Not that anyone else has this view. If it wasnt for that Id probably sell him

9. murphytronus

murphytronus Im not Shardimus

Hercules and green giant were definitely the first combiner war.. Both still hold the test of time in many people's hearts and collections

10. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Personally I find Herc the best in terms of size and style fitting with the standard CW/UW combiners. CW/UW Devi really is an odd ball, not a bad figure but its to large for chug, to basic for MP, nice toy but it just doesn't fit anywhere for me.

11. Dev1160

Dev1160 A.K.A. DevastaTTor

I'm looking forward to picking up Unite Warrior Devastator at some point soon and will be keeping him in combined mode. When I get him, I'm going to break down my green Giant into the individual bot modes, and keep my original G1 figures as the alt modes. I also have the B&A Engineer to represent the toon version.

12. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I finally retired TFC's Devastator from my Classics/Generations collection in favor of the UW Devastator with half of the PE upgrades.

Here's why:
    TFC's Devastator has always bothered me in terms of its A-stance. If the hips had been more structured like UT's Abominus or Warbo's Bruticus, I'd be less inclined to move him on. Further, TFC's Bonecrusher and Mixmaster have always been substandard in my opinion. Bonecrusher looks nothing like his source material and Mixmaster's barrel management is lame. Lastly, TFC's Devastator is now just a bit small compared to other combiners. I've rationalized it as much as I can, but he's just a bit undersized.

UW Devastator nails the bot modes dead to rights excluding Long Haul's new size. The combined mode is stable, if not a little bland. Ultimately there's just more "Devastatory" aspects to him.

I've had Herc so long and it was a cornerstone for my collection for a long time. It wasn't easy to say, "This isn't the best representation of this character anymore."

But yeah, there it is.

(I wish Reprolabels would do a striped down version of their CW Dev set for the UW version. Too many of those labels are now undesirable on this version for the price tag.)

13. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    i perfer herc to UW.

herc has better individual modes and also is more in scale as hes only about a head bigger than the CW combiners. whereas UW is just too big.

14. Lodril

Lodril Poet of Destruction

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'm in the camp that prefers Herc just for scale. He's as big as will fit on the shelves I have, and I feel he looks the most correctly proportioned amongst CHUG figures. I like his integrated forearms and his comparatively smoother look when combined... enough to overlook that his individual alt-modes are less than ideal. I definitely like the individual bots way more than the UW version.

Toyworld's looks amazing. If I were going to ditch Herc for something bigger, that's what I'd go with rather than the UW one. UW is cheaper, but the figures aren't quite extravagant enough in design to fit with a MP collection, and yet are too big to really make sense among a CHUG group either. As a less expensive centerpiece for a more casual collector, or one obsessed with his 'official' status, I think it works just fine, but otherwise I think there are better choices.

15. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If I were you sell TFC Hercules and just wait for a new 3rd party Devastator to come out.

16. unicronic

unicronic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hasbro/TT Devastator may not have the heft of third party figures but each individual bot looks like they've stepped out of the tv screen they're that closely resembling the cartoon characters.

Also despite not being MP quality the official Devastator is actually pretty well scaled for MP.

If visual resemblance to the TV show is important then there isn't another Devastator offering that comes close to this.

If you're looking for something heavy, chunky and so on the third parties have got you covered.

17. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

Hercules if I'm not mistaken scales with the CW line okay. Assuming one cares about that. Otherwise I'd say Unicronic's got it down pretty well. UW Devastar and the individual Constructicons are all pretty close to the animation (some liberties taken; many with Longhaul.) The scale's also pretty decent with Masterpieces in the individual modes.

18. Uninvited Ghost

Uninvited Ghost Well-Known Member

I own Green Giant... but am retiring him for Hasbro Devy (or rather, their individual bot modes). I have never been as happy with a first or third party purchase as I am with CW Devastator.