Should I really buy Sentinel?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OptimusTron97, May 29, 2011.

1. OptimusTron97

OptimusTron97 I like the red water

I've been thinking that with the 75 dollars I have from my birthday, I want to splurge and buy the leader Sentinel Prime figure. But, I'm also thinking that if I wait and spend it in smaller increments, I can get more deluxes and maybe a voyager. I've heard Sentinel is really nice and all, but I'm low on cash, and I don't know if I should buy it or not.

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Aren't we getting a TakaraTOMY "Masterpiece" Sentinel Prime at some point? If so, I'm waiting to see if it'll sport some better paint apps and colors. Either way, I'm playing the waiting game on SP, too.

3. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    You shouldn't have much trouble picking it up at a substantial discount later on.

Actually that probably applies to most of the toys from the first three waves.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

If you really want Sentinel -- as in, you're dying to have him in your hands -- then I say go ahead and buy him.

However, if you think you can wait awhile before obtaining him, then I would definitely work on collecting other DOTM toys that you want first.

5. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sentinel is an awesome dude, but if you want a more robust lineup you could go with some of the better deluxes, Voyagers, and HA figures.

If I had to choose for instance, I would personally go with two Voyagers (Megatron and Shockwave) even though there is a risk of them getting leaders somewhere down the line.

6. Grim Wanderer

Grim Wanderer Well-Known Member

I was a little let down by Sentinel. He's worth getting, but I'd wait till you see him drop to the $30 range.

7. OptimusTron97

Thanks! I've made my decision to buy Shockwave and other deluxes until the next line comes out and Sentinel drops down to the 20-30 Dollar range.

8. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is really good. Complex transformation but a good one, providing you take your time. Chest transformation is class.

Vehicle mode is decent, could've done with a tinted windshield to hide the robot bits within but it's hardly a deal breaker.

Robot mode screams authority and power. Good articulation, bit back heavy but with a bit of fiddling and understanding of how to balance his weight you can get some great poses from him.

Good use of electronics, various sayings and sound effects triggered in the Mech Tech port.

He has a beard.

9. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

I honestly never get these type of threads. It's as if people just want some one else to make a decision for them.

OP seems to know enough about the fig (if he doesn't that's what the feedback thread is for). Yet, OP decides to ask for others (who don't know his personal tastes) to think for him.

Q. "I like steaks and I like hamburgers. Should I buy 1 good steak or 3 good hamburgers?"

A. "How should the friggin' internet know?! Buy which ever you feel like."

If a person has a specific question, e.g., is Sentinel's paint job a match for Figure X, or how is his size compared to Figure Y, those are great questions that people can help with. This? Not so much.

10. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

Personally I'd wait for Sentinel's price to go down, but instead of putting money towards smaller/cheaper figures I'd get Leader Class IronHide. :D 

I plan on getting Sentinel, but I'll wait to see Takara's version like Superquad7 said.

I honestly never get these types of responses. It's as if people think they're being forced to read and respond to these threads at gunpoint.

Why bother posting in this thread if you're not even contributing to the conversation? The OP just wanted a recommendation on what to do, relax will ya? :) 

11. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Honestly, you're still a kid and money to you really honestly isn't something you need to worry about, just do what you want with it while you can, whatever you decide isn't some big deal right now.

12. OptimusTron97

Calm your ponies man. I was just asking if it was a better value to buy sentinel or more of other figures. Every single time I make a thread with a question there is always some butthurt answer.

13. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Trust me Tron97,you are way better off waiting to get Sentinel,as I bought him a few weeks ago before the release,and the thing had so many problems I took him back,mainly it was panels would not line up properly and if you manged to get them lined up the stupid thing wouldn't stay together in alt mode.Granted he does look nice but thats the only thing.

So I say wait and get a bunch of other stuff like the Cyberverse Commanders,I got Powerglide,Prime,Megs,and the ones with there trailers,and I say they are pretty awesome despite there size.Oh and also the deluxe figures of Topspin and Roadbuster are sure as he** worth picking up too.

Edit: Hey Tron don't worry about it,these trolls just come here to cause trouble,and its perfectly okay for you to ask an opinion,but these people just rant to get
    attention cause they just don't have any braincells left,IDIOTS.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  14. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    ^u mad?

15. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:

That was apparently second hand info from Hasbro reps at Toy Fair.

IIRC, Takara did solicit an 'Ultimate Ironhide' but that could by anything deco wise.

Sentinel Prime, i think Takara just solicited it as Leader Sentinel Prime, which would make me skeptical about a movie masterpiece deco later?

16. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I bought SP and had him sitting on my kitchen table for a week. I really can't describe why, but I decided to return him yesterday. I dunno - I just wasn't feeling him...like "$40" feeling him.

17. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    ... I'll take this one guys.
    Ahem.
    Welcome to the internet!

18. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had him in my shopping cart a few times in stores, but I always put him back. I'll just get the voyager one.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    That's cool. :) 

Also, I think having $75 and asking for advice on how to spend it is pretty mature. I can understand some being upset if someone asked whether or not they should spend $3 on a Scout on clearance, but one can do quite a bit with $75.

:thumb 

20. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

yes but get em when the price goes down.