Should I give up trying to complete G1?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by danny boy, Nov 26, 2012.

1. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Looking at my G1 collection, I've purchased all the re-issue transformer collector series and encores, but it got me thinking if I should give up on trying to complete the series.

Will we ever see re-issues of;
    Mirage
    Wheeljack
    Sunstreaker
    Dinobots
    Stunticons
    Aerialbots
    Shockwave
    Cyclonus
    Scourge

KO's are an option but I'd rather not. Which leads me to another question, how are these KO producers able to make these rare re-issues?

Are the rumors of molds lost or broken true?

At this stage it's looking more likely we are getting masterpiece versions of these characters than we are G1.

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    It seems you are trying to complete it fast and unless you have a hugh wallet it wont go fast.

G1 is expensiv. You never know what TT reissues but to think all of them will be reissued is wishfull thinking at best.

Save up and buy a minty original, or just skip it and wait and see if TT does a reissue.

3. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

You should give up. I know they're important to you but you need money.

4. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Goodluck with that!!!

5. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just don't understand how they can't just make another mold, whoever does the KO's can make one, why can't the original manufactures?

6. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    This:
    Patience is a virtue... Now Encore Fort Max is coming, and some said there will never be a re-issue.

7. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    Because it isn't worth it to them.

The biggest expense in the toy process is the creation of the industrial molds for the figure (which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, and more parts mean more molds). New figure or remade concept, the cost to make the molds is basically the same.
    On Hasbro's end, remaking the Dinobots doesn't make sense because the market for G1 reissues is VERY small compared to the market for whatever the current media is, or even classics (which carries a lot of cross market appeal).

Remember, even if the KO guys are remaking molds, they don't have anywhere near the overhead guys like Tomy and Hasbro have to deal with to make the effort profitable.

8. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Old School Snarkster

News Credits:
    If limited to only what Takara reissues...you are pretty much NEVER going to complete that kind of collection. Most of those are confirmed "lost molds", and most of what Takara has pushed in the reissues are things they have most, if not all, the toolings for.

That isn't to say they might no splurge every now and then (I'm sure they had to remake parts to Fortress Maximus, and probably the Constructicons), but by and large, the only times they've really put in the money to remake an old mold is on guys like Optimus Prime, Soundwave, Megatron, Jazz, guys that are "sure sellers".

Unless you want to roll the dice (it DID take them almost 10 years to do a Fort Max reissue), you might want to look at original G1 stuff or the high end KOs (which cover pretty much your entire spectrum)

9. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    why not get originals, it's not like those go for crazy amounts of money anyways

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I would not give up if I was you. I was going to give up, then I changed my mind and good thing that I did.

Switch from Reissues to the G1 molds. If you are patient you can land all of those figures for about $50 a pop.

I have waited and been patient and so far I am complete through season 2 and I am like 4 or so figures away from completing season 3.

Next year will be Season 4 for me. Those get more expensive ranging between $60-100 a pop.

11. wheeljack359

wheeljack359 Master Technician

Ebay:
    Start to get the originals, I like the Idea of getting the original ones that are slightly broken (repairable or screws missing type thing) or are Incomplete. And slowly repairing and completing them, that way your are collecing on the cheap and restoring otherwise wastable figures, also by doing this each figure you can have multiple "hunts" for different parts and such, and isnt the hunt what it is all about anyway?

12. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for the answers guys, very informative. Forgot to mention I also bought the hasbro re-issues.

I don't know, I guess I look at my lineup of autobot cars and all I can think about is what I am missing, not what I have. Most collectors probably do the same.

If most of that list are confirmed lost I have no option than to buy mint originals or KO's.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    How are you collecting G1? After you answer that question, answer what are you seeing that's so crazy expensive? A tendency among many collectors is to simply collect G1 toys from the shows. If you go this route, you can basically bypass some of 1987 and 1988-1990 altogether for the most part. Much of the more expensive figures are from 1987-1990 (Action Masters are still relatively inexpensive except for Prime, Megatron, and Gutcruncher). Also, pre-1987 figures are in more abundance, too.

Patience is the virtue that a G1 collector needs as well. Even the rarest of pieces eventually turn up for sale. Also, if you wait around for a deal, you're sure to find one. brr-icy is a master of this (just ask him!). It may take a little while to assemble your collection, but it's certainly doable.

14. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

Hell, I have quite a few G1's but what bugs me is that I don't have too many 84-85 must haves. No loose Megs, Shockwave or Starscream. Don't even have a loose Prime besides Powermaster Prime. I collect original stuff loose and Encore/Hasbro/Takara reissue misb. Sometimes it just kills me to spend a ton of $ on a small figure. That's probably why I don't have swoop yet.