Should I get RID Scourge?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nerdling, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yeah, get it!

Wow, not a single word of dissent in this thread... impressive!

I have a Korean Black Convoy that I got new, I think from Toyarena on Ebay (but on sale, so I didn't pay as much as he's going for now), and I have a RID Scourge I picked up second hand... though only the cab (no trailer :(  ).

He's all sorts of awesome. Just a great, solid figure. Oldschool styling, a good size, nice articulation in all the important spots, credible vehicle mode, classy colour scheme, gimmick-laden trailer, and a transformation that is simple, but satisfying. He's fun to switch between modes... it doesn't take 15 minutes to transform, and he's tough enough that I actually let my 4 year old nephew play with him when he comes over.

The only thing he's missing is the light-up electronics that Laser OP had... though I've heard that some enterprising kitbashers have accomplished transplants. I have a beat up Laser OP, but I haven't had the courage to try it.

AGREED... I LOVE the upside down Autobot symbols (though I wish they were G1, not G2), and the overall styling of Black Convoy with his silver and errr... "light red" is a bit more striking than RID Scourge.

The pink stands out better than the red, and would probably work better if someone ever did put the light-up electronics in a Black Convoy.

But for the record, I have the Korean version of Black Convoy (I'm pretty sure it is), and he doesn't seem to have any differences from the Takara one from what I can tell.

zmog

2. Black Convoy

Black Convoy Proudly Peruvian Transfan Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    You mst get Black Convoy-sama and build a shrine for him! :bowdown: 

He he he...

What can I say? Black Convoy was one of the figures I got really obsessed with. I simply love the mold, colors, style, alt mode, everything!

I have the oportunity to have RID Scourge and Black Convoy-sama on my hands once so I can re-list the differences and add a few more:

- Black Convoy has got like chrome/metallized stickers with Combatron (G2 upside down) insignias. RID Scouge has got paper sticker with Decepticon insignias.

- RID Scourge has got Decepticon insignias on the truck doors. Black Convoy-sama doesn´t.

- RID Scourge is missing a painted line in both sides of the truck, by the cover of the wheels. Look carefully, Black Convoy-same looks better with this detail in vehicle mode!

- RID Scourge color lines are darker than Black Convoy's.

- As we know, Black Convoy-sama has got all the clear plastic parts in kind of "pink-energon" Style. RID Scourge has them in red.

- RID Sourge has got a rounded sword point.

- Black Convoy-sama's stacks are LONGER than Scourge's!

- Black Convoy-sama's discs have a molded Combatron logo. Scourge's discs don't have any insignias, they look like pizzas.

- Black Convoy has got a black tape on the back of the truck so it hides the cover for the batteries, that we know it doesn't use on this mold. Srouge doesn't have this tape.

- An very important difference for me are the small missiles that come with the trailer. On Black Convoy-same, they are solid, but in Scourge they have holes along all of them. It seems hasbro wanted to save some plastic here.

In other words... you should get Black Convoy! :dj 

3. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll see how I feel about it when I get back from my trip to the Carribean. If I'm itching for a new TF I might drop the $50 bones, we'll see.

4. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    Bro you can get it for 32, the Takara version. Pm me for details.

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Consider yourself PMed. Po' man needs a Black Convoy!

6. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I'm just gonna bite and get one of the Takara versions from eBay, unless Archatron has more than one... ;) 

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YES! :wink: 

. . . and he makes the best usage of the G2 Laser Op electronics imo. :) 

8. JetBrawn

JetBrawn Intergalactic SUV

Twee, the Takara version's pink clear plastic for the "Sword of Fury" and light-piped eyes is a neon pink - the sword edges seem to glow like G1 energon cubes. RID Scourge has a very dark red clear plastic.

9. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Should I really care about that? I don't know, I've seen pics of both and the difference isn't enough for me to pay twice as much for a Hasbro version.

10. SMOG

While aesthetically, I would normally prefer a dark blood-red plastic to pink, in the case of the piping and weapons for Black Convoy, the pink really does convey a stronger sense of "energy glow" that stands out against the black of the figure. Much nicer.

All around, I think Black Convoy is nicer than Scourge, though sometimes I think the Decep symbols work better than the upside-down Bot symbols (though I love the idea of inverted Bot symbols conceptually).

zmog

11. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah. Good to know, since I just bought Black Convoy instead of Scourge. :) 

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hehe, I put Decepticon symbols on my RiD Scourge. I didn't like the white border on the symbols and the symbols are a bit wider.

Also, I'm pretty sure that no one has posted about the lack of batter cover on the Black Convoy . . .

13. SMOG

Er... mine has a battery cover.

At least, I think it does. What do you mean exactly?

zmog

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    IRRC, Black Convoy (not RiD Scourge) had no cover on the back of the cab where the batteries would have been installed. My Black Convoy did not have it and had a small piece of cardboard in its place. I also read of others back in the day . . .

Perhaps it was just mine and a handful of others (?)

15. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My Black Convoy has what looks like a thick, electrical tape-like sticker covering the battery compartment.

16. SMOG

I think mine HAD a black sticker, but I pulled it off to see what it was covering. But underneath, there's a battery cover just like the one on my RID Scourge and my Laser OP.

Maybe the Black Convoy was notable for having the sticker to cover the batter cover and thus erase evidence of electronics?

zmog

17. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Yeah... the end of the RiD line was marked with a few great unearthed moulds that were previously lost to history. The Laser Cycle reissue was also an exciting moment.

Scourge is one of the gems of my collection. Back in the day, I drove all over trying to find that damned thing. Well worth it.

18. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

[​IMG]

19. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Some more old pics

[​IMG]

back of RID trailer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scourge freeing his overseas brah
    [​IMG]

OH NOE itz a fyte
    [​IMG]

20. twee

twee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Like what else? Looking to beef up my collection with such great molds that I've been previously unaware of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.