Should Hot Rod have been terminated for costing the Autobots their leader?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TeamOptimus, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Grimlock King

Grimlock King ME KING!

Ebay:

It's an 80's kids cartoon. Last I remember 30 years ago on TV he didn't "kill" anyone but when the 86 movie came out a lot of us 80's kids had an oh shit moment when our autobots and deceptions were killing off each other. I remember why I went on hiatus now from boards, largely because adults can't get past their childhood heroes. Look, Optimus Prime is like Batman - he's a badass but refuses to just kill off the Joker or any other Gotham villain because Batman believes in reform. Optimus is no different. Soon as he landed from Moon Base1, he said "Megatron must be stopped" and proceeded to mow down as many Decepticons in his path to get to Megatron. He wounded them but needed to stop Megatron. He wasn't going to waste time on Soundwave, Dirge, one of the Insectons, etc. and kill them off one at a time. That's time consuming. Megatron is the head of the snake and if you cut him off, the rest will follow. Optimus fought Megatron valiantly BUT as soon as Megatron asked for "mercy", rather than continue onward with his "Megatron must be stopped" mentally, he decides to proceed with a speech instead of offing Megatron right there. So to all who view Hot Rod to blame because he got in the way?! Blame Optimus for being a sucker! And as I said previously, as I'm taught - he shoots first, wins (the battle).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Your misremembering 1 thing

Not one Decepticon was killed by an autobot in the film
    i don’t disagree with any of this

But your still pretty much fooling yourself on one bit.....

And there it is.....the blindfold most fans put up

Some one else did a great breakdown of the fight scene on an other thread .......which I’m not going to rehash but I’ll make a point of one thing

Optimus got the upper hand in the right right after Megatron said “I’ll rip out your obtics”

Optimus lifted him and threw him over head into the ground where Megatron slides to a halt

From that point Optimus took his sweet ass time , nearly 15 seconds, to walk over to his gun and pick it up , walk back to A position near megatron and take aim.....

ALL BEFORE MEGATRON EVER EVEN LIFTED HIS HEAD FROM THE GROUND

17 seconds before Megatron noticed the gun, almost 20 seconds before Megatron saw the gun and pleaded for mercy

For someone with a “kill switch” on, that’s a lot of time he wasted not killing his target

All that time he didn’t kill him before he was asked for mercy

Seems to me he never going to pull that trigger

Agreed here

• Like Like x 4
  3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    "You're forgetting one thing."

Oh shit when did Grammarly hack my account?

Just kidding, but I agree with what you said. People make up any excuse for why Optimus suddenly doesn't have the energy or will to finish Megatron when he was fighting all out and finishing him was only a single trigger pull away.

Hell, Optimus didn't even have to kill Megs. Guns are rarely lethal in TFs like real guns. Megatron had to shoot Optimus like five or six times in an open wound and he still didn't die right away, he could've just shot Megatron in the side or shoulder and taken him out of commission.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Primeultra

I’ve gotten lazy lately, I’m always using voice text and I don’t always review before I post

5. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

It's amazing how many people still hold a seemingly personal grudge against Hot Rod for making them cry when they saw Optimus Prime die as little kids...

• Like Like x 4
  6. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Hot Rod killed Optimus Prime, kicked their puppy, and vandalized public property in their area, all while twirling a moustache like a cartoon supervillain. True story.

• Like Like x 9
  7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

There is something funny about Sky Lynx snatching up Hotrod right after and saying "Cmon dipshit we're going on a flight"

8. JonnyBravo808

JonnyBravo808 G1 Transformers/1980s Marvel...'nuff said!

No way. I must admit, I had harsh feelings after seeing the movie for the first time, but no way should Hot Rod have paid with his life. I'll admit, I wanted Ultra Magnus to be leader instead of Hot Rod. In the end Hot Rod ended up being a fine leader.

9. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Ahehm....Virtually all of the Decepticon casualties were of Optimus doing minus the insecticons....True they were not killed outright, but the only one to shoot them was he....

10. Primeultra

Your conclusion can’t really be proven, and that’s not to say I think your are wrong, but there’s no way all the ones Optimus engages remained 100% un-injured after almost a full day of fighting

So just how much of their “fatal injuries” can be attributed to solely Optimus is debatable

And let’s not neglect to mention that of all the Decepticons Optimus fought with, only Megatron wasn’t able to reach Astrotrain in his own

All the rest that we saw Optimus fire on, were able to reach Astrotrain on their own 2 feet.......and it really didn’t seem that it was all that hard an effort for them either.......so I’m of the thinking that if not for them being too heavy for Astrotrain to carry home (won’t touch that one) their injuries wouldn’t have been too hard to repair

• Like Like x 2
  11. pilot00

The only one of those been shot who suffered no ill effects was Soundwave. All the others are the ones we see in the reformating of Megatron scene, every single one of them (except Soundwave and I dont remember if he shot Dirge as well and the bugs who are Kups/Roddys/Blitzwings handywork...). Its....too convinient no? I mean there is no other scene where they were injured. Plus injury if critical can degenerate and become fatal over time. The seekers might have been able to reach Astro alone, but there is no telling how their health deteriorated over time.

Megatron is shown to be in pristine condition after receiving a Megaton punch from Optimus and litteraly one seconds later his entire frame is cracked and leaking energon....See my previous comment on what I mean. There is rationalising stuff, and there is a kids show. The truth is always in the middle.

12. Primeultra

No
    Honestly i would say the opposite
    I would think it would be far “too convenient” if after a full day of fighting, it was only Optimus that caused the only serious/fatal danger to more then one combatant
    Good points, and I’m not telling you they are wrong, I just don’t find it likely
    I think just say pristine condition in a bit of an exaggeration

And while I can see what you mean by this being a kids show and where the truth lies.....my comment earlier still stands

• Like Like x 1
  13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    So, then like he said, no Autobot killed a Decepticon?

Optimus shot Ramjet, Thrust, Soundwave, Kickback, and Thundercracker. (and otehrs off-screen we didn't see) Of those five shown only two ended up being kicked out later on, and they sustained no more severe damage from Prime as the others. So either they're exceptionally weak, or they were damaged during the rest of the battle/retreat.

Like Prime was clearly trying to at least disable if not outright kill them, since he lit those fuckers up, but they didn't die and given the fact that he damaged everyone about equally it's hard to pin the blame square on him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Primeultra

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  15. pilot00

Its not convenient at all...Its truthful. The autobots were caught with their pants down and even the turrets of the transformed city were standing there useless...Only one was seen operational and this has a...dark story behind it. Add to this that the autobots stationed in the city were not warriors to begin with (with a couple exceptions) and you can easily understand why they were mowed down, with little retaliation.

Not at all. Watch it again. He has not a single dent on him.

Which one and how?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. pilot00

Did you see any Autobots do kill anyone? They only thing we do know from sources outside the movie is the seperation of Devastator and thats up to debate because, as I said happened outside the movie.

Do you even know what Optimus Primes weapon does? Its the most powerful weapon in the franchise, easily on par with Megatrons fusion cannon. One single shot from that thing is enough.

But barring this: What makes you believe they sustained no more damage? They dont need to get shot to be damaged. A machine (and flesh for that matter but thats another discussion) if it suffers critical damage in sections just by operating (let alone walking/dragging itself in a hurry) can suffer even worse damage.

Also did you see any 'rest of the battle'? When Megs and Prime were fighting the battlefield was literally silenced and the moment Megatron fell, the Decepticons packed up and left. You can see a couple stray shots (most of them even blind ones if Arcee is any indication) but none of them connected.

Also none of the dead Decepticons were known to be particularly strong powerful or physically fit. Two of them were Seekers, know for their skill and agility not Strength or hardiness, and the Insecticons, which powerful in their own right due to their abilities, were neither physically strong or durable.

17. Primeultra

Truthful?
    Truthfully that’s s claim that can not really be proven

Like I said , the idea that all those decepticons, the ones Optimus fired on, were 100% un-injured after almost a full day of fighting is just ridiculous

Just as we saw autobots that were inflicted with injuries or even possibly died off screen likewise many if not all of the decepticons would have been inflicted with injuries before Optimis arrived
    I’ve no need, you might want to
    By the 2nd time they connected, Megatrons back canon was knocked off

That’s no longer Pristine
    you are exaggerating
    No autobot killed a decepticon
    outside sources don’t account for much
    One single shot is enough.....Ha
    Common now bud

The cartoon never depicted their weapons as the tech specs described, you can’t go and try to site what the weapons should be able to do what throughout the entire series we never saw any evidence of it

He might as well been shitting a Bebe gun with all the damage we saw him inflicted
    When Hotrod said “I got to help prime” you can see the area light up with either explosions or weapons fire......so the others continued fighting for at least some of that fight

• Like Like x 1
  18. ThrustJan

ThrustJan Well-Known Member

I agree,Soundwave was heavily blasted by Optimus rifle ,and despite this, still was perfectly cured/healed on Astrotrain, and also Thundercracker could be one of them that was just damaged in same scenes but in worst case,he would have survived if they had reached Cybertron even 2 days later so there was time enough ,he met Megatran's fate just as excuse for coward Starscream plan. Megatron substained a lot of damage by Optimus instead, it's different from 2 Decepticons and also other ones that, with Optimus and Dinobots missing could have been smart enough to avoid a lot of dangerous situations in the first phases of battle.

19. pilot00

Did you see any wounds on them? Did you see them getting fired upon?

Just because you drop a arm mounted weapon doesnt mean you are wounded. And yes you do need...you are just turning a convinient blind eye.

Yes and no, but in this instance we agree.

Prowl and Brawn called, they want to renegotiate their contract.....

I can sort of agree to that.

Dont know whats that supposed to mean sorry.

Still as you say "Thats no evidence" that a single Decepticon was harmed durring that fighting.

20. pilot00

Thundercrackers and Megatrons constitutions and will are radically different. Let alone bodily consturction. Again from scenes Thundercracker was able to walk back into the Shuttle with no visible damage, yet he a wreck when ejected from Astrotrain and by the time he reached Unicron by all accounts dead (or in stasis lock take your pick). Megatron was unable to move (physically because apparently whatever propulsion he has did work in the vaccum of space) yet he was pretty much alive and coherent mentally. And this is my arguement: You all (without realising perhaps) forget that wounds sustained in battle are not superficial things that happen once and stay there. A single wound might cause death and health degeneration for a very long time....