Should Hot Rod have been terminated for costing the Autobots their leader?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TeamOptimus, Apr 16, 2019.

1. DOTM Bumblebee

DOTM Bumblebee Funny Little Man

Absolutely not. Hot Rod's actions were impulsive and stupid, even if the best of intentions motivated them, but I personally don't think the Autobots should do battlefield executions period. Say what you will about realism and justice and whatnot, but somehow I don't think Optimus Prime would be okay with Hot Rod being killed for recklessness. I mean, when Ironhide recklessly chased after the retreating Decepticons in the pilot three-parter, Prime laughed it off afterwards. I don't know that Hot Rod deserved to become Prime, though, but that's a different discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. LiquidEnergon

LiquidEnergon Well-Known Member

This is just about the most entertaining thread I've ever come across on the internet, haha. Great early morning read.

I love me some OP, but yes, he was totally milking the moment he had Megs on the ropes. That end of things was definitely his own doing.

Regarding HR...and I don't believe this was mentioned by anyone yet...what the heck was he doing in the moments after Megatron released/tossed him from his chokehold? Cause Megatron was also milking the moment after he shot OP. It seemed like there was enough time for him to recover/bounce back and make another jump towards Megatron (or just shoot him) during his "eternity" rant.

Another alternative scenario is that HR just transforms into alt mode and just rams Megatron out of the way to begin with. I'd imagine it's harder to put a car in a chokehold, haha.

And to address the initial question...no...execution is not a very Autobot-y way to manage things.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Reminds me of this terribadgodawful IDW "What if" fanfic published not so long ago...

4. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tell that to Galvatron. (at 1:40)

• Like Like x 1
  5. LiquidEnergon

LiquidEnergon Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah not sure why he transformed from alt mode there only to be choked immediately. I guess he did end up with the matrix, so all is well!

6. Swindlerfan

Swindlerfan Well-Known Member

themovie1_page16.jpg

In the original Marvel Comics adaptation (which is based on some early storyboards for the movie) Megatron still shoots Optimus regardless of Hot Rod's interference.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Not only, he also shoots Optimus a lot quicker, immediately after getting the gun, showing that thanks to Hot Rod's interference, Optimus lived a couple of seconds longer in the movie.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Grimlock King

Grimlock King ME KING!

Ebay:
    I disagree on this whole thing. I watched this as a kid over and over again and now near in my 40's I had to take a step back on that. A LOT of people blame Hot Rod for Optimus Prime's demise in the '86 movie and we know the real reason why Optimus and so many others were killed off - to make more toys. But to answer your question - Hot Rod did the noble thing and wanted to help Prime by pointing out to Megatron had a gun. Now Prime IF he wanted shoot he could have shot Megatron soon as he picked up his weapon but instead gave a speech. Therefore Hot Rod intervened to give him the heads but Megatron got the better of him. So if anyone is really to blame, it's Optimus!

• Like Like x 2
  9. JazzIsBack

JazzIsBack Well-Known Member

what I want to know is why none of the other Autobots thought to help Prime? Kup has time to tell Prime to finish him but that’s it?

Bay Prime obviously saw the film that’s what he knows what to expect!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Grimlock King

Grimlock King ME KING!

Ebay:
    As the saying goes... "he who shoots first, WINS".

11. NaCl

NaCl Fry cook

I don't think you understand the Autobots. Executions are more of a Decepticon thing.

• Like Like x 2
  12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    If I were Hot Rod I'd be pissed about my legacy.

"So I'm the only 'Bot with brass balls big enough to try and back Prime up during the definitive final fight of the war and because I couldn't wrestle God-damn Megatron one-on-one I'm somehow the bad guy? Prime could've helped me, or got to cover or SOMETHING other than stand there and tell me to "get out of the way!" Sonofabitch Prime I threw myself in the line of fire for you and you just let him shoot you? Then everyone's up my ass despite the fact that I'm the motherfuckin' chosen one here. I don't need a God damn medal but a little respect for being the only dude with more than one brain cell to actually go for the guy wouldn't be bad. Plus I had to go be leader by myself without anyone to show me how it's done, and I managed to re-establish Autobot rule on Cybertron- reminder of which I saved. So, y'know, you're welcome."

• Like Like x 9
  13. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

A lot of things.... lol

• Like Like x 2
  14. Grimlock King

Grimlock King ME KING!

Ebay:
    Tell that to Cliffjumper or Bluestreak. For some autobots the don’t have issues of pulling triggers. Optimus didn’t have a problem in the 86 movie when he cut through the Decepticons to get to Megatron. But as soon as Megatron asked for mercy, Optimus turned the kill switch off and gave a speech

15. Primeultra

I know it was a wonderful heroic looking scene......But Optimus didn’t kill a single one of those guys either

They were all seen on their feet during the escape

16. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Blaming Hot Rod is the ridiculous thing kids do when they need someone to blame for something that was inevitable and they can't handle it. Like one parent dies and they start hating the other because they did not prevent it. Probably something to channel their feelings.

Can't believe 33 years later people still hold on to that thought. Can't believe people started to blame hot rod in first place.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    They would likely be even worse off if it wasn't for Hotrod. He and Daniel spotted the hole in the shuttle. If he hadn't broke protocol and taken Daniel to lookout mountain the Decepticons would have made it into the heart of autobot city and started killing unsuspecting autobots before they even knew they were there. Hot rod stopped them before they entered the city. So the autobots had some time to prepare and set up the defenses before the majority of the decepticons reached the city. It went from an unsuspecting slaughter to desperate fight.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Grimlock King

Grimlock King ME KING!

Ebay:
    When Optimus said "Megatron must be stopped" his kill switch turned on and didn't hesitate to lay waste. Now whether or not the Decepticons died during the scene where he kept shooting is up for debate on another thread.

I agree which leads me back to my first reply on this post, if anyone is to blame it's Optimus! Hot Rod tried to save him but soon as Megatron begged for mercy, Optimus' kill switch turned off and gave a speech. Optimus had the change to "stop Megatron" as he intended to do but he balked.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Driskull98

Driskull98 Evil is as evil do.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Tumblr:
    Hot Rod didn't screw Optimus, Optimus screwed Optimus.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Primeultra

Really?
    So how many Decepticons did he kill again?

Oh yeah....a big fat ZERO

All he did was shoot and wound
    No different then he did the entire series

Sorry, I call bs in the “kill switch” being on

Fool yourself into believing it was ever on if you must, but don’t try to fool me