Should Hot Rod have been terminated for costing the Autobots their leader?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TeamOptimus, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Weezie

Weezie COVID SUCKS TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No. I realise that Hot Rod being executed would be a wet dream for Hot Rod haters who still haven gotten over Prime's death, but that is not the way Autobots were written. It would be really out of character for them. The G1 Autoboobs were pretty much wholesome good guys.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Honorbound

Honorbound Bayverse Optimus was in the right.

Ebay:
    As everybody else has been saying, no, Hot Rod shouldn't have been executed for it - he made an impulsive mistake in an effort to help his boss, knowing that Megatron was going for a gun that Optimus didn't see. If anything, Hot Rod was doing the right thing, as @SplitLip pointed out. It just went badly. Shit happens. Hot Rod's only mistake was in trying to tackle Megatron instead of shooting him in the back. Nobody knows that more than Hot Rod himself, and to execute him for a bad tactical call would be absolutely monstrous.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy There's no power, greater than X.

Kup: "Stay back kid, this is Prime's fight!"

Yeah.

4. Ambrojh

Ambrojh Well-Known Member

Megatron should of just killed Hot Rod in front of Prime.

5. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    It's a thread suggesting that a 34 year old childrens movie should've executed the protagonist. I'm not taking this very seriously.

• Like Like x 12
  6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot In Danmei Hell

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    33, omg, don't rush it.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Good point

8. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

Honestly I wouldn’t have been opposed to that. Would’ve been a dramatic scene where there were consequences for Hot Rod, but tragedy for Optimus as he watches an Autobot die in front of him. It would’ve pushed him into taking forceful action against Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  9. XternalPrime

XternalPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Just adding my two cents, but I have to admit, I would have liked Hot Rod to get some sort of an earful for trying to help prime. But then, after reading over this thread, I can see that, from the major and logical perspective, a perspective that wasn't written with the death of Optimus in mind, where the movie wasn't motivated to help sell new toys? Yeah, Hot Rod was doing a smarter thing trying to help Prime than the others were. Still doesn't change the fact that I think his rise and role as the new prime was handled pretty poorly, in comparison to Armada Hot Shot's steady development into a competent leader, if not a prime himself. What I'm trying to say is, yes, I dislike Hot Rod, a lot. But do I think he should be killed? For trying to do the right thing? Hell to the Fucking A NO.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    This is what happens when Hot Rod doesn’t interfere...

676BDE03-62C2-4777-9C4C-777AE99F9B70.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    ...I...just...what the...

OK, look, y'all, it's time for some truth, and I want you to know I say this with love: Y'all take G1 canon ENTIRELY too seriously. Like, some of you still tear up when Optimus dies? Hot Rod should be terminated? I totally get that the movie scarred you, but FFS, get some therapy or Xanax or learn yoga or something and move on.

I've found legal substance abuse helps, but I'm high functioning - I don't recommend it for everyone.

XOXOXO,
    Your Concerned Friend,
    -CountDrunkula

• Like Like x 5
  12. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Like other people have said, Hot Rod absolutely made the right call when he interfered in the fight. The only bad decision he made was trying to grapple with Megatron when he was really better off shooting him from a distance-- he's got arm blasters, he should put them to use. That way he and Optimus could have taken him down in unison. Day's saved, Optimus walks away triumphant, Hot Rod gets a pat on the back, Galvatron never comes to exist and the Autobots might be better prepared to handle the impending threat of Unicron.

...He's put into a shoddily written comic where everyone hates him for no discernible reason?

• Like Like x 10
  13. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

As foolish as the topic is it is also funny when you compare it to some other 'That's Prime's fight' moments in Transformers. In Headmasters no one helped Rodimus and he could have been killed by Galvatron had Soundwave not called him away. Although Kup did belatedly suggest that Blur go help but Blur was too afraid to get involved. In the movie Revenge of the Fallen Optimus basically went at it like he did in the cartoon movie but no one else who tagged along helped him out and he got killed.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    No. Prime and Megs were in a fight, Roddy got screwed over trying to help Prime and Prime got mortally wounded.

If you were working as a cop, or in the military, or in the fire department and failed trying to save a life, you wouldn't be executed. So why should Hot Rod?

It's not like he handed Megatron the gun and started yelling Shoot him!

Hell, Screamer willingly tries to commit treason every other episode and not even he got executed.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
  15. Tetratron

Tetratron Well-Known Member

Don't think we should have the Autobots doing stuff the Decepticons would happily do.

• Like Like x 3
  16. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

What the hell? I seriously dislike Rodimus (not because he killed Optimus though) but thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy beyond Autobot standards....Especially G1 Autobots(then again if your Autobots are IDW autobots....)......OFC NOT!

17. lordsmurf

lordsmurf Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    What a warped topic. :eek: 

But, sure I'll play along...

Let's have a bot blood oil bath. Don't stop at Hot Rod. Let's make Prime the Dear Leader, and the protagonists (Autobots) can be just as evil as the antagonists (Decepticons).

Since bot-on-bot violence isn't regulated by MPAA, it's still G rated, right? :p 

I think the movie soundtrack should be tunes from Metallica's Kill 'Em All -- after all, it was an 80s album! Fits the time period perfectly! The most bloody oily scenes, when they massacre Hot Rod and other bots/cons, should most definitely use Seek & Destroy. Especially that riff at 3:15 can be full of bot death money shots.

If I had time, I'd so make a Transformers music video, altering the footage in After Effects to make it look like complete death and destruction.

Again, insane/asinine topic, but one I can have fun with. :cool: 

18. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Of course not. He wasn’t even responsible, Megatron pulled the trigger. Even if he was, I don’t think the G1 Autobots did executions.

• Like Like x 2
  19. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Treason is more than simply not following orders. It means you're intentionally helping the enemy. Hot Rod was intending to help Optimus Prime not Megatron.

Also if the Autobots executed their own troops simply for being impulsive and reckless then they'd be worse than the Decepticons. Starscream was constantly and openly trying to overthrow Megatron and he was still kept around for millions of years before Galvatron finally killed him. You're asking to execute Hot Rod for much less. Every Autobot would be executed by their own people, the Decepticons wouldn't even have to do anything but sit back and watch the Autobots destroy themselves if they did what you're asking.

And finally, executing Hot Rod would be a disgrace to Optimus Prime's memory. If Optimus wanted him dead he wouldn't of hesitated when Megatron used him a shield. He basically died trying to save Hot Rod from Megatron. Sure he wouldn't of needed saving if he hadn't of gotten in the way in the first place but still Optimus would never sacrifice one of his own troops like that.

And let's not forget Optimus himself... after his death... even approved of Rodimus Prime as his replacement... Sure he chose Ultra Magnus originally but he didn't seem to care after he was brought back that the Matrix chose someone else instead. So again, executing Hot Rod would of been a total disgrace to everything Optimus Prime stood for and would mean that his death was for nothing.

• Like Like x 6
  20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Everybody's still like "Hot Rod was an idiot for not shooting Megatron" but again, Prime's the bigger idiot for not shooting Megs first, or jumping in to help Hot Rod as he clearly struggled against Megatron. He just stood there like a lump.

How about this for an alternate universe scenario? Hot Rod tackles Megs, who clearly has a gun. Instead of standing still and telling him to get out of the way, Optimus seizes the moment to charge in at Megatron just as he gets Hot Rod in a hold. Optimus slugs him good, Hot Rod grabs the gun, and they both kick the ever loving shit out of Megs. Then, their leader defeated, the Decepticons are quickly rounded up by the renewed valor of the troops who just watched their leader and a gutsy rookie curb-stomp space-Hitler. Hot Rod gets a brief chewing out for risking his life followed by commendation for his bravery and quick action, and a personal thanks from Optimus. The Decepticons never even make it to space because they're all locked up, and the Autobots rally their forces to retake Cybertron. The planet is reclaimed just as Unicron shows up, and Optimus bestows the matrix onto Hot Rod who destroys Unicron and succeeds him as leader. Cybertron finally enters an age of true peace, and the Autobots are stronger than ever.

All because Optimus didn't choke under pressure.

That comic was, and I don't use this term lightly, cringey as fuck.

I think it says a lot that they never did another TF "deviations" again.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 10