Should Gender and Sexuality be introduced into Transformers?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bass X0, Jan 9, 2016.

?

Should GENDER and SEXUALITY be introduce into Transformers

1. Yes

103 vote(s)
    46.0%
  2. No

121 vote(s)
    54.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. signals3

signals3 Frightfully Important

News Credits:
    Well, gender has been here since the first Auto-girls were introduced.

But, not if the whole thing is going to turn into this whole "gender is a social construct" mess that's going on...do we really need to get into all of that in a toyline? I mean, are the robots going to ask each other what their "pronouns" are on every panel? Ridiculous.

Transformers started out as a toyline aimed at boys. Girls like it too, thats fantastic, but getting so far down the rabbit hole of current social fads....I don't think its a good idea. What has been done in the comics so far has been fine...but to really start to introduce "rules" as far as robosex is concerned would be a mistake. Plus, Hasbro would probably be a little wary if they did.

2. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    You say that like its a bad thing. XD

3. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They can be amusing at times I'll admit.

4. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

Yes, gender and romance should be in Transformers.

The female Autobots of Generation One show that it has been established since the beginning, not to mention just about every continuity having male and female Transformers. It is kind of part of the franchise at this point in time, but aside from removing gender from the mix essentially being forcefully removing something from the franchise, there are other reasons.

I will say here that I didn't always know that there were female Transformers, mostly because I started at a very young age. I had called Optimus by male pronouns many times before I first came across a female Transformer. My little boy self wasn't repelled at all by this revelation, instead I thought it was one of the coolest discoveries I had ever found. I have several sisters wnd of course a mother, now these robots had girls around just like me. Essentially, it brought a whole new shade of relatability to them, and it helped engross me more.

Then there was the discovery of romance in them, which opened up a new set of storytelling possibilities. A well written romance can be very compelling. In an action franchise that might seem iffy, but a compelling romance doesn't have to get in the way of the rest of the series and can even enhance it.

Homosexual, heterosexual, doesn't really matter to me.

Naturally, gender is related to reproduction. I'm wary of it, but I think even "sexual" reproduction can work (gets put on ignore list.) I don't mean fan fiction erotica or something like that, but something alien and G-rated. Like the male and female holding hands at Vector Sigma and a new Cybertronian appearing or some shit like that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    I'm just going to say that since we already have gender in Transformers I am happy but now I want romance, the closes is the interaction between Chromedome & Rewind but can we actually get some actual romance whether between two male bots, two fembots, or between a male and fembot?

Action, Violence, Romance, Politics, Some Darkness, & Humor is all I want in fiction.

6. ShanLan

ShanLan I is a WerWilf

This sums it up. We don't always need everything dissected and spelled out for us. There are females. Do with it what you will.

What is wrong with using our own reasoning skills and imagination sometimes?

7. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    :D  Well what about the Yuri fans?

8. MixtapeSuperion

MixtapeSuperion Made of Kibble

[​IMG]

9. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 Also known as Cheese House

News Credits:
    I don't mind that transformers have "sexuality" but I think they should stay far away from any form of romance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Golobulus

Golobulus heh heh heh

no. end of story.

not needed, not wanted

11. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sure, knock yourself out. I'd rather the main canon is just kept ambigious or hinted at, however. Let people think whatever they want :)  I'm not interested in that kind of thing, personally, but if other people want to do that then it's no skin off my nose.

12. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

It never ceases to amuse me that there still exists a mindset where the ONLY sentient beings that can feel, love, reproduce, have sex, express themselves emotionally, have personal and religious beliefs......are soley HUMAN. Newsflash: Humans are not the only Sentient beings on the planet, nor the galaxy (If YOU were an extra terrestrial being, would YOU want humans to know of your existance? lol). Hell, I have my doubts we're even the most intelligent with our penchant for violence, discrimination, pollution and general wanton destruction of Earth's other sentient beings, as well as the Earth herself.

I digress. I would think it odd if Transformers didn't have gender, emotion, independence, individual beliefs, desire, love, the need/want to reproduce and have families. Since I consider sexuality a natural thing, I don't believe in labeling (If Sunny is attracted to other Mechs, so what?).

Bring on Femmes, Mechs, Sparklings, Younglings, Cybertronians in love and having families with other Cybertronians, etc.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well Wheelie having parents and the child Lithones was cute :) 

"Sparkling" is now a canon word btw (albeit in a different context).

• Like Like x 4
  14. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    You do realize they don't reproduce sexually, right?

Screw that, I don't want my Transformers sexualized at all - and that goes for anything between romance to flat out rule 34 - I react to all of it with equal amount of disgust.

Why? Can't I have just one franchise - one, that's all I ask - to be free from this bullshit?

15. SunSwipe5

SunSwipe5 Twin Hellion Masters Of Jet Judo

Like many other franchises, Transformers is multi-universal (or multi-dimensional, if you like). Just as there can be universes where it's more sentient based (gender,procreation, ect), there can also be universes where it's semi-sentient based (living and reactionary sans all other sentient attributes). A franchise like this doesn't have to be and shouldn't be soley one way or the other. That's part of the beauty of multiple universes. As for reproduction, again, it all depends on the universe. Hell, even in Bayverse, Bee is considered one of the last known Younglings, and Prime references "whole generations" of Cybertronians. Both are left open for individual interpretation.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Yeah well go interpret some other comic then. Preferrably one I don't read.

Which, considering how terrible the state of modern comics is, leaves you with a lot of options.

17. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    It already has been.
    Was a huge part of Beast Wars, once the writers ran out of original ideas!

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm taking about the fangirls, different subject.

Also why do you have that saved?

19. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Wow, this poll is neck and neck.

Gender I don't mind because the characters and toys have usually been designed with that in mind since Generation One. Even GoBots has female robot characters.

Sexuality I think should only belong in the comics because I think that's the only real part they've been in. Comics always try to push the envelope and do things most other forms of media would avoid.

Love should be okay for anything. Pretty much every show has had couples in love, even Gen.1, beast wars, and animated.

The movies do have baby protoforms and other series have had protoforms so there is a form a reproduction, but it is not by means of intercourse but my means of devices or allspark energy creating life.

20. Mr Megatron

Mr Megatron Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    Gender is fine, not big on sexuality. I have no interest in a transformers love story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.