Should Decepticons be more scary and brutal?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Makai Lung, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Makai Lung

Makai Lung Banned

When I think of how terrifying the decepticons could be; I'm thinking of inhumane ghouls with no "light-up" eyes and uses cannibalism to kill their autobot adversaries sometimes. In a terrifying way, They can still see you but they'll just have pitch black eye sockets and sharp teeths. This would basically bring their evilness to a new level, one where even bumblebee wouldn't DARE to go near.

2. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Likes Alpha Bravo

Nah. I like it more when their character is scary. Shockwave can be pretty scary when they really focus on his logical mind and cold indifference to all else. A calculating eye that shows no emotion, but you know is observing, planning something sinister. TFP Soundwave was downright terrifying with his faceless, silent design. The eyes and ears of the Decepticons, he stalks and watches from afar, his unexpressiveness making him unpredictable and mysterious. Much more Lovecraftian intimidation than edgy monsters like most Bayverse Decepticons.

• Like Like x 14
  3. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

Well being that the media is based on a toy line I think there is only so far they can go. As an example my 6 year old daughter likes the Bumblebee movie but the 2007 movie's Megatron really scared her.

• Like Like x 1
  4. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    Decepticons? No. Certain characters, yes. Soundwave for instance shouldn't seem scary; he's just a communications officer. But, say, Thundercracker and Skywarp should seem more terrifying and threatening against enemy aircraft because of their sonic boom and teleportation abilities. But let's not limit the terror to just Decepticons. The Dinobots & Monsterbots could be presented in the way described, as could other ruthless & imposing Autobots.

But yes, there are tons of Decepticons that could be more "threatening and brutal" as well. Preferably in-character, but there are so many possibilities. Get creative with them. A great opportunity for body horror(at least Cybertronian-wise) is with Shockwave, as he's essentially a robotic mad scientist. In another flavor of brutality, the Combaticons seem like a group that the Decepticon army would hold up as ruthlessly efficient nigh-invincible-in-battle soldiers that overcome enemies by almost Batman-level tactics & prep. Or the Insecticons... they'd be pretty gruesome if depicted properly; use your imagination there. I'd even go as far as to say, even if depicted in-character, a lot of characters could potentially reach DJD levels of brutality.

But please, nothing stupid like giving characters like Starscream sharp teeth or a taste for Cybertronian flesh. His bayformer self already looks like he eats babies.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No

6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    No. Why would you even ask this?

7. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was that one time when Reflektor pulled apart a bunch of humans before realizing they couldn’t be put back together.

And that other time the ‘cons were eating little manga girls for lunch.

No one really liked those stories.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

You mean a faction hell bent on scavenging or enslaving the entire universe isn't already scary?

• Like Like x 6
  9. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Yeah, no. You're asking for something that better fits an adult horror movie, not a kids' TV and toy franchise.

• Like Like x 3
  10. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Nah. Having the Decepticons just be evil monsters for the sake of it doesn't really appeal to me.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime You shall not pass!

News Credits:
    Wait a minnit...

Your six-year-old daughter watched the 2007 movie with you?

Seriously? You've got to be kidding me.

12. Rewind Eject

Rewind Eject Did somebody say Avatar?

I recognize that the Autobots and Decepticons were effectively different races in Sunbow, but that never sat right with me. The two factions should be separated by ideology not biology. The Decepticons should be scary, but not in superficial ways you are suggesting.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    Maybe not the Decepticons as a whole but perhaps this could be used in conjunction with an element that was introduced in the G2 comics, continuous / unchecked reproduction / budding lead to generations of Cybes that became less and less like people and more like lifeless killing machines. It was believed that each following generation had less and less of Primus within them because his 'essence' was being spread far too thin. Putting it simply: if a method of reproduction is abused it leads to problems with the spawn.

Maybe if budding is abused the subsequent generations become more prone to mental / physical defects until they start to behave more like animals than people.

Inbred hoards of cannibalistic Insecticons like the Swarm from IDW.

• Like Like x 1
  14. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    They can't be made to be too scary. DOTM was maybe as far as it could go, with a Decepticon army massacring a city and Laserbeak acting creepy to a child.

Anyway, I enjoy it when (a few) Decepticons get to show a bit of character and aren't just snarling monsters.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Makai Lung

Makai Lung Banned

Guys, I want the decepticons to be nightmare fuel for all sentient beings. They're giant evil robots who's bloodthirsty lust rivals the likes of bayformer optimus.

Besides, Megatron had a robo-smasher in g1 that permanently turned any cybertronian into a decepticon. Imagine that idea being utilized into a virus that can reanimate any living or dead being into a con by a mere bite or stab. The infection would be irreversible.

17. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

Yup. She wanted to watch another movie with BB in it. I warned her it was scarier but she insisted it wouldn't scare her. It did. TBH, it's been so long since I watched it I forgot ho intense certain parts were.

• Like Like x 2
  18. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Why though? This is just restating your original wish. Why is this a good idea?

19. Makai Lung

Makai Lung Banned

Because this franchise can get a darker tone and attract more fans like Mad max did.

20. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

News Credits:
    The argument is easily made that Transformers has a much larger fanbase and franchise than Mad Max has ever gotten close to. So that's kind of just a non-point.

Beyond that, Decepticons are the same race as the Autobots. Why would they be exclusively scary? Why wouldn't the Autobots, and what sense does it make to have one be a horror movie monster and the other not?

• Like Like x 1