Should cops wear cameras?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bonewire, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've never actually had a positive experience with a law enforcement officer since I was a child and I have never been arrested or committed a crime.

I don't think cameras will even fix anything.

2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Won't be blinded by tear gas if I don't put myself in a position to be gassed. :) 

3. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    Hope you don't like exercising your constitutional rights.

4. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

sounds good to me

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I find hilarious how things are here compared to this debate. I just heard of a new summer fad here. Basically people are taking bets to see who has the guts to go out and randomly assault cops. With no reason, just for the hell of it.

And people say the cops have too much power on their hands.

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hrm. For those people saying camera's would 'make no difference, because Cops are all bad' without Police society would degenerate into... well Missouri.

Law Enforcement isn't perfect by any means, but the world without it would be a terrible terrible place. So any attempt to improve accountabilty must be welcomed and encouraged.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Q: Why are cops assholes?

A: With John Q. Public being who they are, do you blame them?

8. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    Hahahahaha, you just expressed support for excessive use of force.

9. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

Pretty much.

Honestly, like Tikgnat said, this is a step towards a more accountable, and hopefully less corrupt police force, and people seem to be against it because the police force is unaccountable and untrustworthy. Hmmmm...

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

It would violate way too many privacy laws

11. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    What some don't get are that there are multiple ways of exercising one's own constitutional rights. I guess not everyone's gotten the clue that always acting based upon your emotions isn't a good thing. Knowingly putting yourself in a position of getting gassed....well....I guess you can say that you're not going to be seen as the sharpest tool in the shed. But hey...Darwin needs to give awards away yearly and have that website updated so I can laugh.

After all, what else are stupid people good for?

It can be. And that's the intent of using the cameras, but as it's been highlighted, people will do what they will. It's like I said earlier, when we forget that we're dealing with fellow human beings, we're turning a blind eye to how this can fail miserably, or in a disastrous way. But hey....if people want to be naive. *shrugs* Ok. If people don't want to think things through...even better.

Hahahahahha, you also just expressed your approval for someone to randomly assault a law enforcement officer :lol  Oh man...you must like laughing at the stupid mofos that end up on the Darwin Award nominations just like I do :lol 

12. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    I can see those news stories ending real well :lol  Oh man.....Darwin must be rolling in his grave.

13. TheDemonDzko

TheDemonDzko Some Internet Guy

Yes, and anytime a suspect is analyzed? Camera goes on.

14. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can you tell me of an interaction one would reasonably have with an officer while maintaining an expectation of privacy?

There are no privacy laws that this would violate. Cops do not have a right to privacy while on the clock. Citizens interacting with cops don't have a right to privacy as they're interacting with other people. That's not private, you don't have a reasonable expectation to it, privacy laws do not apply.

Cameras would solve a lot of problems. I'm all for it. If we can spend a billion dollars on a joint strike fighter that still doesn't work, we can afford cameras for cops.

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I know right?

What I learned from all of this is this:

Everybody did everything wrong.

16. bacon4e

bacon4e Resident Cheesehead

And expressing one's beliefs in a completely legal format is...Darwin award worthy? Like underwater Beej is?

Right, so maybe we should put some planning into it, instead of pushing away ideas and turning a blind eye towards the problem. Maybe cameras aren't the solution. Maybe cops are just people, after all. But hardly does that mean that anything proposed involving trust get immediately pushed aside. I dunno, it seems a little ignorant on the opposer's part.

17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Which somehow include breaking into stores, looting, setting fires, etc? They've gone way past their constitutional rights in that regard, and that is typically when shit gets shut down. There is a difference between freedom of assembly and rioting, and more often than not it starts in the right and ends in the wrong in cases like this.

As for privacy violations with the cameras, I think it's a privacy violation to be profiled too. So why not stop that then too?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  18. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Speaking of Cameras and how video can change the situation - Here are some of the witness reports that the man charged the officer. The man did NOT surrender with his hands up.

Mulitple autopsies confirm he was NOT shot in the back. He was shot multiple times in the torso ( center mass) and the head. The forensics match up with someone charging at someone.

Again perfect situation for a camera as the mom is still stating to the press that her son was "murdered" by being shot 10 times in the back.

A Witness Conversation Unknowingly Captured at the Scene of the Ferguson Shooting is a Game-Changer

19. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Well let's see. If you know others around you are going to be irrational and violent. If you know others around you would commit acts that would force a reaction, knowing that in history it will....then yes. It has a potential to be Darwin Award worthy. Especially if you still chose to be within that crowd expecting local law enforcement to be able to single you out in a crowd that's now seen as an angry mob in their eyes. Seriously, just because you want to express yourself, it doesn't mean you should throw away any semblance of having common sense.

But if you think it should, then let me come at you while I'm in that angry mob. Let me be one who isn't doing anything while others are shooting at you, throwing molotov cocktails at you, looting stores, etc. Let's see just how you're able to react when you're made to feel your life may be on the line. I promise you, things tend to change in terms of perspective when you're on the other side of the field.

That was my whole point all along. We need to consider that we're dealing with fellow humans. Just as you say we shouldn't blindly dismiss it, we shouldn't blindly accept it either.

20. Triceradon

Triceradon Sunbow Delenda Est

Can we have a source that isn't so blatantly biased?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.