Should Bumblebee be Mute?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Arkimus Prime, Nov 21, 2019.

?

Should Bumblebee be Mute?

1. Yeah, I guess...

8.8%
  2. No, no, no , no, NO!

91.3%
  1. Arkimus Prime

Arkimus Prime Shutting up is an important part of listening.

News Credits:
    Should he?

2. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

No. It was cute for about 5 minutes. Give it a rest and let the little guy talk. It never made much sense to me.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Reygn

Reygn Banned

How I think it should play out. I prefer Prime's version, in which Megatron played a part in it's loss, and reaquirment.
    First Movie - Voice
    First Season - Voice
    Second Movie - Mute - Lost at start by Megatron
    Second Season - Mute
    Third Movie - Mute
    Third Season - Mute
    Forth Movie - Mute
    Forth Season - Mute
    Fifth Movie - Voice - Regained at end with Megatron's death
    Fifth Season - Voice

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    At least somebody knows the right answer. Honestly, I couldn't stand it in Cyberverse. He sounds like an idiot.

In what media? G1? Bayformers?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2019
  5. Reygn

Reygn Banned

If we to have a new continuity, this would be my prefered lay out.

6. Arkimus Prime

News Credits:
    So a new continuity with movies and television?

7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    The Bayverse is my favorite fictional franchise but this is a change I definitely would have liked to see. Bumblebee should haves kept his voice from the end of the first movie for the rest of the series.

• Like Like x 2
  8. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    What's the point of losing and gaining it over and over? That would get old faster than it already has seeing it play out across multiple existing continuities.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Reygn

Reygn Banned

What do you mean over and over ? He'd have it at the beginning of the series, then he'd lose it, and by the end of the series regain it.

10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    We've had R2B2 for over a decade. It was a breath of fresh air when he actually TALKED at the beginning of Bumblebee.

Let's retire radio voice, it's had its day.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    I'd prefer Bumblebee to talk but as long as he's small and friendly I'm good. I'm not a huge fan of the "warrior" Bumblebee.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Reygn

Reygn Banned

I prefer Bumblebee to start out as a competent scout, then evolve in a masterful warrior. Not a warrior in the Bay sense of tearing apart his enemies, but in the sense that he could easily take out someone twice his size. My perfect Bee would be -
    Orion Pax 20' - Optimus Prime 30'
    Scout BB 15' - Warrior BB 20'
    - so he gets larger when he becomes a warrior, not due to becoming a prime, but due to him being upgraded over time, then earing an upgrade the increases his strength, speed, and size.
    20191121_202442.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sometimes

• Like Like x 1
  14. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde シン・ブリュンヒルド

News Credits:
    No.

Have Windblade be mute instead.

• Like Like x 3
  15. orangeitis

orangeitis All orange, all the time. Looks infectious.

News Credits:
    G1er here. If Hasbro decided to continue the Sunbow series where Rebirth left off and took Goldbug's voice away for a few seasons, I'd be okay with it.

That said, he shouldn't be permanently mute.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Absolutely not! It's so annoying.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Yeah, NO. Bumble-mute has very much overstayed it's welcome. It doesn't even make any sense for Bumblebee to have that as a defining character trait; it would work better for someone like Blaster or Soundwave.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Bumblebee should be mute, blind, have no wheels, no legs, no arms, oh and no head. Bumblebee has lost his everything. And is just now a torso on the ground. Everyone keeps bumping their toes into him. He's become quite the hazard, especially to Megatron.

In all seriousness though, yea, no give him back his voice. If you are going to make a character talk like R-2 Radio-man, at least make it a new character.

• Like Like x 5
  19. stephen

stephen Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    It was a neat way to re-invent the character, but it gets tiring after a season. I am not saying that when rebooting a show they shouldn't have him mute, but he has to get his voice back at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

You forgot the third option of maybe and the fourth option of I don't care either way.

Personally I think it matters more about how he's portrayed than if he can talk or not. There's been three types of mute Bumblebees so far.

1. Talks through the radio Bumblebee. This one I think works the best because it allows him to still be expressive even when he can't talk and has that ugly ass face.

2. Beeping sounds. This one didn't work at all because all the beeps sounded exactly the same. This generally works for R2-D2 in Star Wars because again even though he can't talk and really has no face the beeps in Star Wars are very expressive sounding. Prime Bumblebee however all his beeps sounded exactly the same so even though he had a more expressive face and other more humanoid features the thing that looks like a trash can was still portrayed much better than Bumblebee was. They did this character so badly that even in a two parter that was literally named after him it still felt like he was taking a back seat in the story to other characters that could actually talk. He was just there and didn't really contribute to the story in any meaningful way. I mean part 1 was more about Ratchet and his feelings of failure than it was about Bumblebee himself and part two seemed to focus mostly on Starscream. There was never a time where I felt like Bumblebee was the focus of the story until he started talking at the end of the series.

3. Cyberverse Bumblebee and they seem to have done away with the mute thing rather quickly. There's actually not much difference between mute Bumblebee and talking Bumblebee here. Mainly because it seems like the same actor who does Bumblebee's speaking voice was also doing all the radio voices as well. The end result is pretty much a Bumblebee who was never actually mute despite the show claiming he could only talk via the radio. I kinda understand it. The movies have a bigger budget to pull up real clips whenever they need it while Cyberverse is made on the cheap and has to just make up fake radio boardcasts... but it really doesn't work when every voice on the radio sounds like Bumblebee's normal speaking voice.

All that said there's another mute character who worked really well... Soundwave. That dude had an intimidating presence that made his character work despite not making a sound and barely doing anything. They also some how managed to make him expressive with no voice or face. It was kind of the same reason the Ghost of Christmas Future from A Chrismas Carol works. All the expression is in how the body moves. I'm not sure if that would work for Bumblebee, it works when you want a mute character to come off as creepy but that's not generally how you want a kid friendly character to come across.

Anyway Bumblebee talking hasn't always worked either. Animated was sort of annoying at times. The same actor also did Blitzwing among other characters that I really liked just the Bumblebee voice specifically was kind of high pitched and nasally.

Basically all that really matters is portraying the character well and not can he talk. There are examples where Bumblebee has been portrayed well talking and not talking and examples where he wasn't portrayed well both talking and not talking. The most important thing is character not muteness.

• Like Like x 2