Should Brave join the IDW verse?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    People I was thinking and what you think is one of the colonies had characters of Brave franchise?

2. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Don't think it's possible. Sunrise owns the characters while Hasbro owns the designs...kind of the opposite of the Go Bots problem. I mean, you could have fellas who vaguely look like some of the Brave guys but they'd have completely different names and personalities to avoid infringement. Which kind of makes the exercise pointless, at least in my opinion.

You COULD sneak in a cameo somewhere, though...but they wouldn't be able to be the focus. Say, like, a colony gets blown up in a flash back and you see some vaguely looking bits of Brave guys strewn all over the ground.

3. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    Does Hasbro own any part of the Brave franchise? I thought it was Takara-Tomy that owned the designs.

4. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You're right. I stand corrected, it's TT not Hasbro. Had GoBots on the brain when I posted that. Which makes it even MORE difficult since you'd have to deal with TT on that and not Hasbro at all.

On a side-note, Hasbro DID inquire to Brave mold usage during the 2001 RiD line, but decided it wasn't worth the effort of licensing.

5. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Absolutely not. I don't want to see Megatron get taken out by some Scottish archer with frizzy hair.

6. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    :lol  Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought that at first!

7. MrByatis

MrByatis Questioning Rumble

News Credits:
    That's interesting, I never heard of that before, do we know which molds were being considered?

8. WishfulThinking

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    They didn't say. It was at Botcon that it was mentioned by Hasbro sometime this past decade. Exactly which Botcon it was mentioned, I don't recall. But I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the Takara-sole designed ones, like Deathgarry or Ultra Raker.

9. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exkaiser/Figh Bird are probably the only ones that would fit, as the rest are either man-made or of Earth. But, then again, it's IDW and they'd probably make them all unlikable, evil religious zealots, or just not get their characters whatsoever. Or perhaps they'll be killed off because the artist doesn't like that character.

(That said, I'm sure the triggerhappy, shotgun-toting pacifist McCrane from Brave Police would fit in on the...whatever comic it is with the ship)

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Do you wanna talk about it?

You know it doesn't make your argument come across as sound or rooted in examples when you take a single instance of a character being altered and try and apply it as a pattern.

11. NotRamjet97

News Credits:
    Last I checked.

Megatron's an Autobot
    Swerve's not a metallurgist
    Rewind is not associated with Blaster (last I checked)
    Hot Shot is a city speaker
    Blurr is completely different
    Tailgate's...a loli.
    Optimus Prime broods a ton.

12. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    And I yet on your profile you list the Unicron Trilogy as your favourite series, which quality aside, changed way more characters than MTMTE ever did.

Also, none of those you listed are religious zealots (and most of those aren't even right, Swerve is a metallurgist) which is a bit of a backpedal from your previous blanket statement.

You know, I don't even like IDW that much anymore after MTMTE took a nosedive in quality, but the way you run off on it with either total ignorance of the details, or the far more perplexing notion that reinterpreting characters in Transformers is either bad or has not been done before, makes me roll my eyes. Yeah, Megatron's an Autobot. So? It actually makes sense in the story, and has been a part of his character development. Swerve is still a metallurgist, but even if he wasn't, who cares? What was Swerve before this? What character was there to alter?A toy bio? Those things that aren't even consistent with their own media? And yet Despite being different, he's still done more metallurgist-stuff in MTMTE than in any previous TF fiction by virtue of actually being in it. What about Blurr? Would you say IDW Blurr is more or less like G1 Blurr than his Armada version? What even makes him completely different, because as far as I know he's still a blue car who runs real fast, which is all G1 Blurr ever was.

And remember when Hot Shot was a black and silver ninja with a faceplate? Or when Optimus Prime was a young upstart who had little command power? Or when Tailgate was a random nobody who died in a flashback without ever showing his face?

You've made this absurd list of claims as if there's something inherently wrong about change, when it's ironically par the course for Transformers.

So yeah, if Brave was ever part of IDW for whatever bizzare reason, they'd probably make GaoGaiGar some kind of intergalactic warlord, or Might Gaine a toll booth operator, or King Exkaiser a pen enthusiast with a lisp, and it'd be just fine as long as it worked in story because it's a different continuity.

13. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Considering that Bandai's been putting out new Brave toys for years at this point, I'm going to assume that Takara doesn't have any claim over any aspect of the franchise and that it's entirely owned by Sunrise now. Meaning that if Takara doesn't have it, there's pretty much no way Hasbro would have any rights at all.

Having said that, it would be kinda sweet to see Shadow Maru pop up some how, even if just in the background or something.

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    AFAIK, the Sunrise/Takara ownership of Brave works like this: Sunrise/Bandai are the sole controlling party when it comes to the fiction and character likenesses, and are thus allowed to do whatever they damned well please with it.

However, Takara (now TakaraTomy) was allowed to retain ownership of all the original toys that they produced in their partnership with Sunrise. So any reproductions of the original toys must come through TT, but only with permission/solicitation from Bandai. TT was also apparently granted a sub-license to produce their Kabaya candy kit versions of the characters more recently.

But all indications say that right of first refusal goes through Bandai, and not TT, and thus it's incredibly unlikely that any deals could be worked out.

15. NotRamjet97

News Credits:
    The problem is IDW thinks it is G1. It keeps getting lumped in G1 when, yeah, it's an alternate universe. And if you're going to bring in non-Transformer characters, I'd appreciate it if they were respected as, while Transformers does this a lot, it wasn't really a thing with Brave. There were alternate universes, but not alternate characters. There's only one Decker, Figh Bird, Goldion, etc. It's not quite the same deal as with Transformers.

These would be people's first experience with these characters, and I wouldn't want it to be really "out there" because there were some Brave characters I actually quite liked and would want to see them done justice.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Let's just keep it civil and on point, please.

Personally, speaking as both a fan of the Brave series and a fan of Transformers, record my vote as a no. Brave's characters need to be shown respect and while I'd not be against some of the characters getting tweaked personalities to fit western sensibilities, I'd not want to see them redone in the style of Star Saber who is a pretty wide of the mark compared to his original (and admittedly, bland generic hero) persona.

As others have mentioned, it is also unlikely to happen because while Takara owns the rights to the toys, Sunrise has the rights to the fiction they created and also the likenesses on the shows. Exactly like Gobots, really. The most you might get is a cameo (my vote would be for a hall of ancient heroes, where each statue is a different Brave)

17. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm 25 so i'm probably missing something, but what is Brave?

18. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Let's see
    Star Saber evil religious Zealot.
    Overlord Jon Simms master without the depth and charm.
    Metalhawk Dead Jerk
    Deathsarus and Gigatron wern't too different.

But you also have to remember there is a limit to how much you can change a character before their is nothing that makes them that character anymore. Look at the 98 Godzilla. Fans refer to that one as GINO-Godzilla in Name Only. I mean let's say we make Batman a serial killer chinese robot that beats fishermen to death with a baseball bat. Still a Bat-man, but not Batman.

19. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

MTME Swerve's actually a metallurgist. Mentioned few times as his actual job, just not the one he's doing now.
    Optimus Prime is brooding since Marvel TFs. Not the characterisation of him I like the most, but not the one invented by IDW.

If anything, IDW way of redoing characters usually goes in line with taking one part of their personality and then ramping it up until it becomes their dominant trait. Like Metal Hawk who's peace-loving as usual, but now sooo much peace-loving to the point when he was a moaning extremist about it. Or Star Saber who went from space paladin to space crusader.

But I don't think Brave needs being part of the TFverse.

20. Negativedark

Negativedark Stealth Gesalt

Honestly it'd probably end up looking more like Shogun Warriors than anything else.

Now if IDW could get the Pacific Rim liscence...