Shockwave Lab SL-111 The Eye - LED Upgrade kit For Haslab Unicron

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Black Convoy, Aug 4, 2021.

1. ziltama

ziltama Mods, molds, and casts. Also full of hot gas.

News Credits:
    Still waiting for our kit to arrive (and to test out a way to make it not look 3d printed at all, even up close), but I've taken apart the head multiple times before. There is one screw that will likely strip, but that's OK and is not needed to hold everything together (in stock config, anyways).

Assuming you already took the 3 screws off the back of the head (Philips #0 with blunted tip to avoid stripping screw heads). There's 2 mushroom pegs to undo (arrows). Simply pull out. Beware that the spring may fly off.
    head1.jpg

Undo this screw to remove the eye assembly (also with a Philips #0 with a blunted tip). This screw has a high chance to strip the screw hole when replacing (even without overtightening).
    head2.jpg

If the screw strips, that's OK. The mushroom pegs will still hold everything in place just fine.
    unicron3.jpg

The eye assembly screw isn't quite the right shape. I may apply a very thin layer of epoxy over the screw threads later when I get the SL kit in.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Beautiful! Thanks!

3. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    56CD3DEF-5080-44B2-8518-444A021E34FF.jpeg Overall, Luke warm on this kit. It could be my installation but it has been a pain in the butt to get the eyes parallel when snapping in the spring loaded assembly. It’s a tooth off right now but it was giving me a headache so I’m calling it for tonight.

One of the green transparent “irises” popped off of the LED revealing a very tiny amount of cyanoacrylate (or some other brittle, transparent adhesive). I reglued it as best as possible.

Finally, the magnetic switch is a cool idea but you have to turn the eyes on one at a time…which means the flashing/fading feature is more comedic than cool.

The lights are super bright though. Moderate light bleed through the faceplate but not bad.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scott_XIII

Scott_XIII Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if its worth trying to eliminate the magnet feature and replace with a switch like the previous kit?
    Screenshot_20210703-223654.png
    I get quite a lot of light bleed as the LED is right between the eyes. I recon an LED recessed
    in each eye might look more effective.
    Screenshot_20210703-223614.png
    *note this particular kit was found on Etsy
    DSC_1936.JPG
    What do you recon? Is it worth the hassle of attempting to splice two kits together? Or would the marginal gains of 2 LEDs not be worth the time?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  5. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

i personally wouldn't try to eliminate the magnet switch for a dummy switch. that kind of defeats the purpose of the extra eye gimmick.

i mean these things only take like 2 seconds to turn on. it is not like there is a real inconvenience going on here.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Just finished installing mine. They were a bit of a pain to align and install. One thing that helped me align the eyes was cupping the head in my palm, and placing my pointing and middle fingers on the eyes. This allowed me to keep the head secure while being able to manipulate the eyes.

One thing I noticed was that the teeth on the replacement peepers are not the same size as the original. As a result, getting the eyes straight in the front did not result in a perfect alignment in the back.

All in all a decent set, and I think you get what you pay for and then some.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

man i need to get off my ass and buy these like asap.

where are you guys ordering them from?

8. sparkimusprime

sparkimusprime Coffee+Black=Delicious

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Got mine from TFSafari.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PrimeVsPrime

PrimeVsPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits: