1. Of note - we are in the process of upgrading the site to use HTTPS / SSL. In that time, you may be logged in/out depending on what area of the site you are looking at. If you want to be logged into the forums, please log in via https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/login/. If you do that, you will not be logged in while looking at the front page. We hope to have this fixed within the next 24 hours or so.
    Dismiss Notice

Shockwave and Sentinel as the same character?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheSoundwave, Jan 10, 2019.

1. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    Okay, I've had this thought floating around in my head for a couple years now...

Shockwave was advertised as the main villain of DOTM, only to end up being a red herring...the real villain was, of course, Sentinel Prime. The character of Shockwave was (originally) inspired by Mr. Spock from Star Trek. Who played Spock? Leonard Nimoy, who coincidentally voiced Sentinel Prime (and even had lines that homage Spock).

What was Sentinel's plan? To bring Cybertron into Earth's orbit via Space Bridge (a technology he supposedly created). In the original cartoon, who helped Megatron build the Space Bridge between Earth and Cybertron? Shockwave. I'm pretty sure he was even part of the plan to bring Cybertron into Earth's orbit in "The Ultimate Doom".

Shockwave supposedly had traitorous tendencies (I don't think that idea ever presented itself in the show, but I believe it happened in other media, like the comics). This would fit with Sentinel turning against Megatron. I would also make the argument that Sentinel's rust canon is vaguely similar to Shockwave's weapon (they both completely disintegrate their targets instead of just wounding).

I'm of the opinion that Shockwave and Sentinel Prime should have been combined into one character...named Shockwave. Sentinel's entire character seems tailor made for Shockwave. Interestingly enough, Animated even introduced the idea of Shockwave disguising himself as an Autobot Prime a couple years earlier. Maybe this would have come into play.

I would even go as far as to guess this was probably the intention in an early draft, or maybe even just in the screenwriter's head. Maybe Sentinel was made into a separate character to give Optimus more of a conflict. Another possibility is that maybe they didn't feel comfortable giving an non-humanoid Decepticon a relatively complex storyline. Personally I think this was a huge, huge missed opportunity. It feels like all the puzzle pieces were there, but they just weren't arranged correctly. Obviously there's not a "correct" way to tell a story, but to me this seems like such an obvious route.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Interesting idea, and I definitely see where you are coming from. I rather like that Sentinel was the villain though. I think it made the revelation more treacherous, it created a more interesting with Optimus than what came before, and it gave a spotlight to a less traditional Transformers character.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Rumblestorm

Rumblestorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Its a good idea, and I will agree that Shockwave was wasted, BUT...
    Sentinel, the original Autobot leader, makes for a much better story, especially given his relationship with Optimus, than just another Decepticon regardless of how cool said 'con is.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I like that the villain is an Autobot though, especially one who was very close to Optimus.

• Like Like x 6
  5. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi Day 23/365 of my TF collecting diet!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I would’ve just made Shockwave develop differently, I can’t let him go to waste since his design is easily one of the coolest and most G1 faithful in the Bayverse.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Honorbound

Honorbound The Working Hermit

If we're going back and revising things, I'd just have Megatron stay dead, have Starscream and the Fallen be the main villains of RotF, and Shockwave and Sentinel be the main villains of DotM. This way, Megatron's return is more shocking in AoE (and when he asserts his control, he'd say "I am MEGATRON!" Not Galvatron)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dotmshockwave

Dotmshockwave Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Google+:
    I have been thinking about this too for some time. My thought even was that maybe they had both sentinel and shockwave still in the movie, but they were working together. And shockwave betrays megatron, and sentinel betrayed optimus. Then the end of the film sees megatron and Optimus fighting shockwave and Sentinel. Which would explain the megatron saving prime scene in the end of the final cut of dotm.
    Shockwave is the one seen guarding sentinel in primes fly in massacre scene. Lots of signs lead to this. I think the early draft of the script had something along the lines of this story like you said. Either way, the finished product ended up way different, and we got way more of Sam and his bs, then of the transformers.

8. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    Totally!That was the point in including Sentinel Prime in the first place.They needed his betrayal to affect Optimus in a deeper way than just another big Decepticon name with a plan.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Nah, should've been opposite. Shockwave should've been dropped and Sentinel's role expanded upon. Him being close to Optimus and being a traitor to the heroes was far more interesting than just Shockwave in disguise. (especially since the movie would be unable to play the long game TFA did with shockwave/Longarm)

• Like Like x 4
  10. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think Sentinel was one of the most interesting characters in the bay films and some of their best work, so I'd prefer not to have him folded into Shockwave.

I love the character of Shockwave, but I don't think he was used effectively in DOTM and I think you could have just as easily done without him or replaced him with basically any other prominent Decepticon character. I don't think he would have fit with what they tried to do with Sentinel (where we get a real internal conflict in Optimus over how his allegiance to earth has changed his relationship with Cybertron, and how not all Autobots see humanity as compassionately as he does, when doing so means a cost for their own race), and having a more unexpected heel turn from a 'good' character.

There'd be plenty of ways to make Shockwave 'work' in the bay universe, including ways where he can be a turncoat (look at longarm prime in animated, for example), but I think it's more of a change than just putting him in Sentinel's role. You bring up some interesting parallels between the two, however.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I wished that would've just had gone with Shockwave having a major role like we thought he would have but make it so that it was actually both his and sentinel's plan to use the plot to have Cybertron come to Earth without Megatron's knowledge even which by the way I think an interesting sub plot was that Megatron was driven out of the Decepticons given what happened in ROTf and Shockwave took his place thus it would've led into Megatron for now workign with the Autobots to take down both Shockwave and Sentinel.