Shia LeBeouf and Michael Bay are quitting Transformers, Talks about Reboot

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by monsterikan, Jun 13, 2011.

1. phoenix88

phoenix88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm gonna say this now. If there is a reboot, they should wait at least 5 years. maybe 4, but anythign less than that is too soon. We survived as a fandom until 2007 with only the 1986 movie, and yes the movies have skyrocketed the brand forward, but i feel there's enough moment now for a reboot to be far from urgent.

2. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to agree on George Lucas being a terrible choice. The man doesn't seem to know what made his old movies good/enjoyable, which becomes painfully obvious in the new Star Wars and Indy movies.

They could just continue Transformers in this universe. It makes sense that Sam's story arc is done, so they could bring in other actors. The robots and their style has already been defined so no problems there either. The only thing I'm slightly worried about is Bay's style of shooting - although I will admit that a change in that could very well be for the better.

Personally, I like things in 3-packs, so I'm hoping for a reboot. Fresh designs, fresh story. Let someone else carry out his vision without having to restrain to the currently set universe.

3. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    I'm usually surprized when people think Spielberg would be an upgrade from Bay... He hand picked Michael. Not to mention, look at Spielberg's last 5 movies as a director...Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ( I liked it, but it was bashed), War of the Worlds (terrible remake), Munich (meh... a historical drama... kinda hard to botch a biography, but I didn't like it), Catch Me if You Can, and Minority Report (didn't hate or love either... both were meh, the the fact that Catch Me was based on real life was cool).

It's been a long time since he was in his prime, his amazing run from 1980 - 1998 is epic... but it's also in the past. I remember when he was absolutely can't miss... from Indy to ET to Amistad and the Color Purple, he's got one of the strongest portfolios around.

Something tells me if he can't knock what is possibly his signature franchise (Indy) out of the park with a sequel, I don't think he has it anymore.

I doubt he would do much different than Bay to be honest... His movies had some suggestive stuff too... not like Bay, but to be fair, it was a different time.

Cameron is another poor choice, IMHO. Avatar was OK. It's visuals were good, but it wasn't good in an action movies sense... It was good like watching one of those IMAX movies that shows scenery. The story was weak and contrived, and there was only one really good action sequence (at the end).

Cameron's movies do not demonstrate that he is capable of focusing on more than one character, so it' doubtful the scope of TF's is something he could handle. All his great movies were character focused... but they focused on one character. Terminator, Titanic, Avatar... all focused on one character. Can you imagine a TF movie where Bee and Sam were even MORE of a focus then they are now? That's what Cameron would most likely do. Focus on the relationship between one Bot and one human.

Most of people's choices fall in between nostalgia (Cameron, Lucas, Spielberg, Zemeckis) or currently hot (Abrams, Nolan, Fauvreau). You have to stop and think about the director, his recent track record and body of work and style of movies he makes. I think one reason Bay was picked was his familiarity with using large ensemble casts. He has used casts loaded with people more than once... and you need to approach the TFs similarly. Considering the cost of Bots CGI, I think he's done a great job balancing. The pacing at the end of ROTF was bad, but the first hour was EPIC.

Long story short, unless Hasbro/Dreamworks decide to reboot the franchise with more of a focus on storytelling , reboots will be similar... this is a very successful franchise, and creativity in Hollywood is usually stifled by marketing reports and projected profitability.

I think a director for a TF movie should be someone who can direct a good war movie... So my top three picks would be Fauvreau, Matthew Vaughn (he did Kick Ass and XMen first class, both were really good mixing comedy and serious plot points, and Xmen proved he can focus on more than one lead character), and Abrams, for obvious reasons.

My dream would be that Tom Hanks was picked to director with Spielberg as executive producer. Why? Tom Hanks is GREAT at directing war films. I think TFs should be shot with that in mind, and the humans can be intro'd as 'natives' the Bots save during a skirmish. Not to mention that as a TF fan, I think he would give the same love and care that Fauvreau gave Iron Man.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Lol. I´d love to see this.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fair warning boys: Reboot won't be the James Cameron directed with g1 robots you're hoping.

In fact director will probably be a C-lister, what with the whole ego thing that drives people away from the franchise.

6. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Ugh another reboot. How about we just let PRIME grow and then consider a film inside of that.

Unless it's canceled in a year of course.

7. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

ROFL reboot? Why? Ok, well they might get new humans in there but there is no reason for them to want to redo all the characters if that is what people here want. They are making TONS of $$ with the franchise the way it is, why change that? You do a movie every few years and get kids hooked then BAM sell a bunch of toys and make mad profit. They would be stupid to change it. If Bay is out then I'm sure another director will have their own spin on it but no reason for a complete reboot.

You reboot a series when it is stale and you aren't making big profits. That is not the case here.

8. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

[​IMG]

9. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    :lol  This.

No Transformers 4, no reboot, no more of the movies.

Three is enough, thank you.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I have to disagree on this a bit. Yes, he does relationship based movies, but he does action better then most people. The Terminator movies are by far the best action movies of all time. Also, who says we need to freaking focus in on Sam? You can have them focus in more on Optimus and his history and such. I have no problem on a singular focus on Optimus and Megatron with their back grounds and their war that will end all humanity. Right down his avenue.

I also don't think a war director would exactly be the best either. Not sure if the 2 styles mesh as good you think they would. Saving Private Optimus just doesn't seem to work.

Out of all the names you listed, Nolan maybe the only one who could actually pull off a good reboot. Fauvreau did pretty okay with the original Iron Man, but 2 was just ok at best.

If you don't like Cameron, how about Robert Rodriguez. He has showed to have the skill and talent to make multiple Genre's of movies and to do them all well.

11. Soulmaster

Soulmaster Well-Known Member

nice...
    well, there's always a chance to reboot, I just hope the designs keep being "alien-like", or at least with a semi-organic look (I'm NOT talking about techno-organic or BW/BM stuff), G1 boxy stuff would not work for actual times...
    and I WANT to see OP as a jet! (and many other characters in altmodes different to G1 or any other series! just to annoy the fans and made them accept/reject the transformation inside transformers media!)

12. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? You didn't like the movies so you'd rather see no more TF movies at all? :eek: 

13. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get Peter Jackson to rewrite/produce Infiltration for the reboot and have Neil Blomkamp direct.

14. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I rather enjoyed these films and really hope they do not do a reboot to the series. To me this has been a lot better of a trilogy then Spider-Man was *cough Spider-Man 3 cough*.

15. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Thank the good Lord above that Bay is leaving Transformers.

Give it a few years rest and come back with something that actually treats Transformers as something more than giant changing robots.

16. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    No, I did not like the first two movies, and while I'm trying my damn hardest to reserve judgment before I see the third one, I have a feeling that I may not like the third one as well.

And yes, I would rather not see any more Transformers movies UNLESS they're made by a team that actually knows their stuff instead of just throwing in random Transformers terms just for shits and giggles.

17. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    Alternatively, you could just not watch them, instead of wishing to spoil everything for people who DO want to see more movies.

18. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Well me, I'm pleased as punch to know that Bay will be leaving Transformers. It might take a few more years, but I'm looking forward to really great Transformers movie one day.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    On the basis that he was the one who green lit the entire thing, was the one who hired Bay, co-operated with Bay on the creative processes for the first movie, etc etc?

I liked all of those, unfortunately. :lol  But I know that he's past his prime and is no longer the visionary director he once was. But no longer the best is still pretty damn good, IMO.

20. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Agreed...