Sherlock

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Takara_destron, Jul 25, 2010.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot What does God need with a starship?

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I didn't think I would like the modern AU, but I am in the middle of first episode right now. This show is awesome!!

Does Mrs. Hudson keep implying they are gay? :lol 

2. peeman

peeman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would like to have seen Anthony Stewart Head (giles from buffy) as moriarty ... i felt he looked to young

3. Moriarty

Moriarty = ♀

News Credits:
    Well, I think last night's episode nearly gave me a heart-attack. They damn well better produce another series! According to various interviews I've read, they don't know whether to or not! :[

But that wouldn't have worked. This isn't just 21st Century Sherlock Holmes, this is also Young Sherlock Holmes. Both he and Watson are younger than they would have been in the books, so it's only natural that Moriarty would be young.

4. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Cliffhanger ending. Urgh. I was wondering how they'd wrap everything up nicely and even after Moriarty left I was expecting something, but the end was disappointing. Should've at least left off the bit where Sherlock aims the gun at the bomb.

And the guy they had playing Moriarty was rubbish. Crazy cuckoo guys doing the high-pitched kiddy voice thing just don't do it for me as a credible threat. Nice that he was in the episode earlier and we didn't even know it but when he was revealed near the end it just sucked that this was the way the writers had decided to go. I was kinda hoping Moriarty might be a woman.

The mislead of Moriarty being Watson was a nice try but really didn't work. After seeing Watson through the last three episodes and his reactions to things while on his own (thus not having to put on any kind of act if he had been Moriarty) it was so obviously not him as the bad guy. The only way it could've worked would've been if he had a split personality and his 'good side' didn't realise there was a 'bad side'. Of course then that would've screwed up for other episodes the Sherlock/Watson thing that there's always been in Holmes tales.

I liked the idea of the episode being lots of little mysteries to solve, even if some of them were paper thin.

Hope we get another series soon. Maybe with a little more care taken with certain aspects of it.

5. bcm77

bcm77 Not A Proper Fan.

I've seen bits of the 3 stories and like the duo playing Holmes & Watson but thought Moriarty was utter shit, he sounded more like Graham Norton instead of a master villain and looked even wimpier than John Simm's Master.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I just didn't buy his presence as a worthy foe to Sherlock at all.
    Henceforth he shall be known as Noriarty. :p 

7. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I really liked the Moriarty. He's typically always some old geezer with an uber sinister silent-but-deadly thing going on, so I found it fun to see an alternate version. And Irish too which was unexpected. And nothing like Graham Norton...

8. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nvm, just finished ep 3, very exciting. I been having a hard time telling the difference between John and Lestrade unless they are standing in the same area. I thought it was Lestrade at the end at first.

Also I found this GIF from the Blind Banker lulz.
    [​IMG]

9. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  10. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    Too all of you 'OMG Moriarty was Irish' folks, Moriarty is an Irish last name, but has always been played as your standard evil English character in film and t.v adaptations, a mistake made by the people responsible for the adaptations. Nice to see Moffat and Co. keeping an eye on this.
    I'm also enjoying the little nods and references to old Holmes stories in the dialogue and deductions of Holmes, with this version of Holmes being faithful to the source, whilst unique and fresh.
    I though the second episode was the weakest of the series, seeming different in tone to the other episodes. However, with the series being under the guidance of Moffat and Gatiss as executive producers, the second episode was the only one not written by either of them. I imagine Stephen Thompson may not have been quite kept in the loop regarding the feel for the series, which may be why 'The Blind Banker' seemed like an odd episode.
    All in all an enjoyable recreation of one of my favourite Victorian characters, and I look forward to the next series.

11. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It was a bit overly similar to Doctor Who, the funny thing is I've spoken to many people who would never watch DW, but loved Sherlock! (Maybe they'll change their minds for the next series!)

There was so many homosexual overtones as well, which gave it a bizarre sense of humour, and some of the popular culture - with the graffiti and mobile phone references seemed very off and out dated, but I did find the 3 episodes very enjoyable television! ep.2 was by the far the weakest, and all the small plots in ep.3 were really fun.

I would have liked it to be tied up a bit more, and I too thought Moriarty would be a woman! (no idea why, maybe some Derren Brown stuff - but wouldn't that be clever to put in a show like this!)

even with its faults, I shall look forward to series 2!!

12. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Nice.

13. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Hey why hasn't there been any new eps?

14. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It seems the first season was only three episodes long.

15. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Because they had only planned 1 season, I think. but either way we don't anything until next year :( .

16. ILoveDinobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    WHAT?!!! I can't believe that. :( 

17. Ratchet2007

News Credits:
    The next season will probably be 3 episode long aswell.

18. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I finally got round to watching it last weekend.
    It was enjoyable, but I found the length of the episodes was a bit off and caused the show to drag a bit.
    I also figured out the killer in the first episode early and was a bit disappointed it took Sherlock so long.

Had to laugh at the last episode though.
    It was filmed in such a way that the place where the gallery guard was found and the gallery was far apart, when in reality they were right next to each other. I know cause I use to walk past them on my way to work.

19. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

I believe they said it will be more than 3 episodes.

20. Ratchet2007

News Credits:
    Nope, Series 2 is 3 90 min-episodes broadcast in Autumn 2011. Linky.