Sherlock

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Takara_destron, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I get that. The last scenes just felt pretty clunky to me. If it's all to guage how smart Sherlock is then seems a bit dumb the taxi driver comes to Holmes' house and collects him and explains it all. Sherlock didn't really solve the murders at all - the murderer essentially gave himself up and then Sherlock got lucky Watson just happened to come looking or him before he chanced on taking the pill.
    Don't get me wrong though - I've been recommending the hell out of the show at other messageboards I post at.

2. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    I agree, it seemed as if they couldn't think of a way for Holmes to figure out a Taxi driver - and which - had been causing the killings, so he pretty much handed himself over. The only explanation I can think of for the taxi driver approaching Sherlock was that he was told to do so by his benefactor.

3. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I could buy that. Or the taxi driver getting ahead of himself and wanting to show Sherlock he's a genius too.
    If when the taxi showed up outside for him Sherlock could've at least gone 'Taxi!' like a eureka moment and then left that would've helped a bit. Then he'd have sorta worked out that part of the mystery for himself, even if he then kinda stupidly went out to meet the murderer.

4. myhobby

myhobby Back From Outer Space

well, i guess i just spoiled myself about this show just by reading the thread, but a
    taxi driver[/quote] is the killer?
    nice reference to study in scarlet indeed!:D 

i hope to see this show eventually.

5. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    This episode felt way better than last weeks, less boring and more fun.
    9/10.

6. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    Really? I felt it was a little more boring.

Does anyone think an hour and a half is a little too long though? I think both episodes could easily have been compacted into an hour, making a more enjoyable viewing experience.

7. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

I think the long running time gives everyone involved a chance to breathe a little. After far to many constricted 'wrapped up neatly' 45 minute episodes of Doctor Who it's nice to see something given space.

8. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Not seen the second one yet but I'm torn between an hour and an hour and a half for this. It's okay if it's jammed with stuff, but not so good if there's lagging scenes which should've been edited out but have been left in to make the longer running time. I mean it's nice not to have the 'quicker, shorter, snappier' many shows seem to be to get their story across before the viewer gets bored and changes channel, but it's also got to have the meat to make that space worth it.
    At an hour and a half without breaks we're talking about movie running times each episode.

9. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Yeah this one was nowhere near as good as last weeks. It really dragged on and made the hour and a half running time seem like a bad thing.

10. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    I think an hour and a half pilot episode is good for introducing the characters and style and letting the viewer get used to them while also telling a good story. After that I reckon an hour might be better for the following episodes. It's like at Christmas and there's a new Johnathon Creek or something and half of the couple of hours or whatever is just fluff.

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Its for international sales, 90 minuites is a two hour show with adverts and its the same format as the millions of other detective shows we make over here that get flogged abroad.

12. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    After last weeks watchable outing I decided to give it another go.

Urgh, this weeks was utter shit. Horrible writing, acting, shooting, everything. Gaaaaarbage.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Last week had a far tighter script then this one, but it was still mostly entertaining.

I can't stop thinking about how awesome a job whomever is playing Sherlock could do as The Doctor. Especially a Valyard type Doctor.

14. Gingerchris

News Credits:
    Okay, finally got around to watching the second one. Definitely nowhere near as good as the first one. All the clever little deduction graphics sequences were gone barring those cyphers floating about and it just seemed to lack the energy of the first. And the fight with the sword guy near the beginning was blatantly put in there for no reason other than to show Sherlock can hold his own when he came up against killers late so the viewer wouldn't be going: 'Oh, he's suddenly good at fighting too now'.
    The story was okay but still lacking something. About fifty minutes in I was checking the timer to see how long was left to go. It's still miles better than most of the stuff on telly these days but I'm thinking far more effort was put into the first one to snare people than into the second to keep them. Also this one did feel like things got a bit rejigged after the first episode, what with Lestrade and his team of police characters just vanishing come the second, and Sherlock's brother not making any kind of show after having been in the previous one enough to make me think he'd be reccuring. It's like when the pilot of something gets made and then when it's picked up for a series certain things and characters get changed or dropped.

The end confrontation with the crossbow stuff was cringeworthy. How has this band of bad guys lasted so long if this is how they do things? I was rooting for the woman to get the bolt through her chest to at least make things interesting. With the look on her face after she was saved I really doubt she'll be wanting another date with Watson and his comment about the next date not being like this felt really out of place and kinda unsympathetic to her.

I'm disappointed more than anything.

15. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    Who is playing Moriarty?

I don't really know, but I think Benedict would make a good version of The Master.

16. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Bloody cliff hanger!

17. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fantastic !

Right until the cliffhanger at the end :lol 

18. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Kinda saw a cliffhanger ending coming, but regardless that was a fantastic episode. Moriarty was great, reminded me a lot of John Simm's Master interpretation.

19. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    WTF!?Moriarty was a load of shite!

It was good up until the last 5 minutes, Jim being moriarty was so obvious and they could have done something unexpected.

If Moriarty was someone worth waiting 3 weeks for, I would have loved the cliffhanger.

Edit:I've been thinking about this version of Moriarty, and he's not as bad as I first reacted.

20. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I liked it, it felt more on form and was far more engaging.