She-ra returns in new show

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gaastra, Dec 12, 2017.

1. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

I have passing knowledge of bionicle. I was obsessed with the Visorak and Roodaka when I was a little kid.

.....Which. In hindsight. Probably says a lot about my personality.

• Like Like x 2
  2. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:

Meh. Given the pace of the show so far. I doubt we'll ever see Horde prime.

But I do kinda miss the PSA's

Even the 2002 He-man series had them (sorry I couldn't find any on their own)

It kinda feels weird this She-ra broke that tradition.

3. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    It's probably best that they didn't switch swords by mistake...

A lot of Bionicle fans probably forget that the characters wear masks because the masks were animated in the movies.

4. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:

I will take your word on Man of Steel, because I personally am not a Super Man fan.

To answer your question, plenty of shows and movies do just fine with characters who kick ass.

5. Venixion

News Credits:

So you think that a bunch of men are incredibly bitter that a kick ass show that was originally made for girls, is being made for girls? :wtf: 

What is it with people today, thinking that we girls didn't have anything good or adventurous to watch until modern times? Or that anything adventurous was retroactively made just for boys? :inquisiti 

Ugh. Retconners are so annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

And those shows and movies all have one thing in common. They develop their characters. The character doesn't start out as a super kick ass character. Those Superheroes you have mentioned, did not start out super powerful and perfect. They tend to start out terrible and awkwardly using their powers. Remember when Spider-Man didn't start superheroing, but instead, went wrestling for money?

7. Venixion

News Credits:

Funny, i saw a lot of them kicking ass and not falling over there own feet.

8. Dolza_Khyron

So, you have forgotten this scene in almost every super hero origin film ever?

I can go on if you'd like.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  9. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

I mean, it’s not that I “think” that. Go read some of the online bitterness about how the show is too “girly” or “gay” or has a “feminist agenda” and blah blah blah.

10. Venixion

News Credits:

:lol : I forgot about that scene in Iron Man. Point taken Dolza. I concede.

Your still missing my point. She-Ra is up for promotion and she's supposed to have had training. The only person who MIGHT handle a sword like that is an unsupervised, drunk toddler.

Give a couple of kids some foam swords and they'll have no problem wailing on each other. But apparently a trained soldier does have issues. If it were a flail, or nunchucks, or a whip or a baton or some weapon of Final Fantasy proportions, fuck it. I wouldn't say a single word. But it's not. It's a sword.

11. Venixion

News Credits:
    My apologies Vatarian. Its become something of a sore point with me. I've had people say that girls only ever had shows that involved them drinking tea and giggling at nothing all day and crying when something bad happened and then when people point out that shows like She-Ra and Power Puff Girls and Sailor Moon exist, those little shit heads say, No they're not! They're boys shows. Girls didn't have action shows back then.

Its funny, not a single one of those retconning morons who make those arguments were even alive back then. So they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground as far as I'm concerned

12. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    I haven’t watched this show yet but my 6 & 9 yearolds have, twice. So mission accomplished Netflix.

• Like Like x 1
  13. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And they are still amazing!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dolza_Khyron

Have you seen the sword she's using?

Clear Your November Schedule, the Trailer for Netflix's She-Ra Reboot Just Dropped

It's a wide, unbalanced sword with a tiny, uncentered handle. Of course she is going to have issues.

15. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

So I've hit a wall about one third of the way through the season. I just don't think that this show is for me. I'm not saying that it's a bad show, not by any means. I mean it's not like it's Star Wars Resistance. It just doesn't have anything for me. If I were a seven year old girl, who knows. It might be my favorite show in the world right now. It's a shame that the 2002 Mike Young Productions He-Man show never got a third season. Cause I've read rumors that She-Ra and Hordak were both going to show up (I do own the comic-con exclusive She-Ra figure that goes with that show's toy line). MAN that was a good show. I wish it would've gone for at least another 26 episodes or so.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I started it but it was pretty bad.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I wasn't really into this new version of She-ra before i ended my sub of Netflix. So I'll wait till "Toys that made us" before i pick it back up. I'm really not a fan of the art style. I miss Melinda Brit as the voice of She-ra as her voice to me is She-Ra and no other person.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

You have a point, but it misses some nuance. For starters, keep in mind that She-Ra is already a sore spot for a portion of the MOTU fanbase (not me, I watced both shows and didn't care), since it effectively replaced He-Man and the Masters of the Universe on television. To people who are still bitter about that, and/or who think of it as the continuation of the MOTU brand, it wasn't made "originally for girls". From their point of view, it's Masters of the Universe, which was made originally for boys, hijacked and re-targeted toward girls, and then remade even more explicitly for girls. I don't agree, but I can understand how they would see it that way.

And then you've also got fandom just being fandom and not wanting any kind of change, ever.

I don't think any of that is right, but it does explain where all this crap is coming from.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  19. excelhedge

excelhedge Overseer of Weird

News Credits:
    sample-bd751fd181b4680b4c2e4aad0bbc5a85.jpg sample-1e5c259b2f4e7f413d76f65799817395.jpg IMG_20181127_135203.jpg he_man_and_she_ra_2002_by_thor89z-dbsxpwp.png f379fa97-a199-4e11-897e-7c3ca8f3a336.png f42560a7-bc41-4d43-8143-3b1159c3b2ed.png ad04813a-82ed-4afa-923e-6a3477fe79ea.jpg 7914a156-1863-46d5-baa9-2c03d34fbbc7.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  20. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I like this one. It's respectful to both incarnations of the character by showing them side-by-side, friendly, rather than one violently beheading the other to assert superiority.

• Like Like x 2