Shazam - WB/DC Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Nov 8, 2015.

1. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hopefully I can watch it over the weekend! My comic book buddies are telling me that it’s a pretty good movie!

2. UltraAlanMagnus

UltraAlanMagnus See ya!

News Credits:
    It truly is. Stick around for the post credit scene, it'll knock your sock off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Saw it this week, and while I was kind of put off by how insistent it was that it was in the DC Universe, it was a ton of fun! Took the usual "this is how they learned to use their powers repsonsibly" story and stopped taking itself seriously, and added a great deal of heart. I should probably watch it again, just to see if I can pick out some more filming locations!

• Like Like x 1
  4. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Watched it with my family and we enjoyed it! My younger son and daughter especially!

I’m pretty excited for the sequel! Growing up, I used to follow the comics and even watched the cartoons. Captain Marv...oops! I meant Shazam was very interest character even back then!

This movie really feels old school as it exciting moments, cheesy moments and scary moments (for the kids)...really feels like a throw back to the 80s! I wished we had more of these types of movies.

One thing of note is that certain elements of the film borrowed from the New 52 (?) Shazam...which is a good read IMO.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Saw the film yesterday and I loved it

I was wondering if any of you guys took note because I can’t remember if they threw in the characters original name as an Easter egg when they were trying to come up with a superhero name

• Like Like x 1
  6. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nope. I was listening for it.

7. Primeultra

I don’t understand why you didn’t use it, I don’t believe it belongs to anybody right now

8. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Didn't happen. Not Captain Thunder was used.

9. Primeultra

Would’ve been a real cool nod

10. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Saw it this Sunday! Loved it. As others said, a lot like those 80ies "kid finds himself as an adult" movies but also a superhero flick. It borrowed elements from the new 52 comics I was not familiar with, like the racially/etc diverse other foster kids (I only knew Mary and Freddy) but they were welcome additions and pretty funny. Sivana was great too despite being nothing like the classic mad doctor. I do wish the Sins had done more tempting stuff instead of being just big monsters, but their design was awesome. Also loved how Billy slowly learns to be a hero and first uses his powers selfishly, as most kids would. Does make me wonder why the Wizard chose him, though.
    I was elated to see Mr Mind, especially after he comes back at the end, voice box and all. He looked just like in the old DC comics, big white eyes, not the Fawcett version with glasses.
    Also, anyone spotted the school was called Fawcett School?
    I think in the old DC version of the comic Billy was an orphan- in this, maybe his situation is even worse. That woman was certainly not Mother of the Year material. Sivana's situation was quite similar, but he handled it far differently. Must say the office scene was a bit brutal, even if it was bloodless.
    Overall, really fun film, full of heart, with a nice message. And very funny too, and finally not in the Marvel style of everybody always fooling around and not taking things seriously, but genuine humor.
    Also I noticed Billy never takes a superhero name, or rather never decides which of the silly ones Freddy comes up with to use. Nice way to avoid calling him Shazam!

• Like Like x 1
  11. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

They didn't even call him The Big Red Cheese. Of all the names they gave him I wanted to hear this the most.

12. Primeultra

I could see that coming in a second film

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sky Ray

Sky Ray Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They did name him Captain Marvel in a blink and miss scroll through of the YouTube playlist that Freddy had set up during the "Don't Stop Me Now" montage.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    I took my oldest daughter and saw this on Saturday. Not bad, very New 52, but what I strongly disliked on the printed page worked fairly well on-screen. It's not classic Captain Marvel, but a lot of the fun I associate with older versions of that character is present in the film. And I note that they never actually call Billy's super-powered form "Shazam". There's a running gag where he is given different super hero names, none of which stick.

And DC has really embraced the craziness of comics when Mr. Mind appears in a live action movie. That's just great!

• Like Like x 4
  15. Primeultra

That not his original name

But I didn’t notice that thank you very much

16. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's evil!"

News Credits:
    I have a feeling that it's a set-up for a third movie as the next one will probably feature Black Adam as the villain. Once he gets his movie, then Mr. Mind will team up with Dr. Sivana, Black Adam, a Crocodile Man and maybe one other to form the Monster League of Evil.
    He was desperate and didn't have the ability to test Billy like he did the others. Instead, he just had to trust his seeking spell got it right finally.

• Like Like x 1
  17. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Haha... funny to think with all the power the Wizard have, he got left no choice but Billy :lol 
    Thankfully, Billy have a pure heart.

It's amusing how the concept of Captain Marvel is.
    They're transformed into their full potential yet the chosen one still needs to learn to grasp that potential.

And while Captain have "Wisdom of Solomon", he still a kid.
    Imagine.. a kid having such wisdom. We don't often see those on normal kids everyday

• Like Like x 1
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Shazam! Actor Dons Supersuit to Support No Kill Animal Shelters

"If you know me, you know I love dogs. And if I actually had super powers, I'd use them to save all the dogs I could. But I don't. What I do have is a platform to spread awareness about things I care about like supporting No Kill animal shelters. (check link in my bio)."

I didn't add his image as it constitutes a possible spoiler, but it's a cute one.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    It wasn't bad, but I didn't enjoy it that much. I kind of figured this would be the case, I've been a fairly big Captain Marvel fan for decades, from the Fawcett comics to the serial, I even have original art from a DC artist of Black Adam and Captain Marvel on the walls in my living room that I got in the late 90's.

While I tried to appreciate it for what it was, there's just too much new stuff that I'm not familiar with or other elements that I didn't like much. I'll tag it just to save some of you from any ranting.
    Billy's parents being deadbeats annoyed me a lot more then it should. As I've mentioned, Billy is not Captain Marvel in the Fawcett comics, they're two separate entities, something that even DC's Frank "Whores!" Miller got right. We didn't see Billy even drawing upon his power pantheon, where was the Wisdom of Solomon to have him not act as a jerk? The courage of Achilles to face Sivana? Speaking of which, Sivana is the OG comic mad scientist! The entire point of Dr. Thaddeus Bodog Sivana is that he's the scientist with nearly uncontested intellect against the magic powers and heart of Captain Marvel. The moment you load him up with magic of his own, you're not doing justice to the character. Just off the top of my head.

I do wonder, is there any profit sharing in all the superhero merchandise? Does Batman get a cut of the bat symbol backpacks? Is Superman making money with the licensed bullets?

It kind of feels odd to me that we've got all the references to Tawky Tawny (from the symbols on the "clasps" of the cape, to the several stuffed tigers), yet Uncle Dudley didn't even get a cameo. (Unless it was blink and you missed it).

On the plus side, Mr. Mind was incredible. I never thought I'd see one done that is so perfect to what I'd envision him to look like in live action, and even sound like. Also, the actress for Mary is spot on.

The last few minutes felt very weak to me, which seems to be DC's weakness. Wonder Woman for me was a great 2/3rds of a movie, the final act the entire plot fell apart. This didn't fare that poorly, so overall I liked Aquaman more but Wonder Woman less. FWIW, I did see the movie for free (movie rewards club), so I maintain my "I'm not paying to see a DC movie" line.

• Like Like x 1
  20. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait, Billy and Captain Marvel were not the same character in the Fawcett comics? That's weird. Then again I am only familiar with the DC version. I think it is safe to say the Fawcett ones were way, WAY before anyone's time on these boards, unless you are 80 years old. I checked them out a few times but they were way too old style "gotta sell war bonds" stuff for me to care about.
    Sivana was like this in New 52. I guess same as with the Wonder Woman and Aquaman movies, they based them on the new 52 comics, but thankfully took all the terrible parts out from them. Does make me wonder why they did not go with either the pre-Flashpoint or the Rebirth versions instead of a much maligned and now defunct continuity... but I guess some bigwig in DC loves the New 52 still. After all, most of their animated movies still continue adapting those comics.

The hungarian translations were pretty terrible, so I could not guess what did they call him. Got a list of names?

Well, it would be really stupid if he called himself Shazam, that'd mean he would always depower himself if he said his own name. :D 

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019