Shazam - WB/DC Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by QLRformer, Nov 8, 2015.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    A feature film of DC Comics’ Captain Marvel is in the works, with Rock Johnson signed on to play Marvel’s nemesis Black Adam. So what would you like to see in this film?

A FUN TONE
    The most crucial thing I would like to see is a lighthearted tone, because Shazam has always been a bit of a fun hero. He’s a boy who can grow up into a superman; that is basically Tom Hanks’ BIG with superpowers, and maybe Jim Carrey’s THE MASK. The tone needs to be carefully fantastic and fun, a blend of fighting bad guys and saving the world mixed with a kid getting all his wishes come true and having the time of his life.

In relation to this, the rogues’ gallery of Captain Marvel is a motley crew: a dark version of Cap (Black Adam), a bunch of mad scientists (the Sivana family), demons (Blaze, Sabbac), a Nazi (Capt Nazi), a mind-control worm (Mr Mind), and a robot (Mister Atom), among others. They’ve started out with Black Adam, but then he was the most fitting to be a villain; who could they go with after him?

To be honest, Captain Marvel wouldn’t need to be fighting supervillains all the time. He is after all, a boy with the power of a god. He needs to learn about power and responsibility, but he also needs to be having fun with his powers. Like BEN 10, he could just be pulling off gags with the use of his powers.

The comics that I think should be used as an influence are:
    - FIRST THUNDER – this recounted Captain Marvel’s early years (and his first team-up with Superman). All fun and games, until the bad guys take out his best friend. This teaches him the harsh truth about the adult world. It also spotlights the reason the wizard Shazam gave these powers to a boy instead of an adult: because a child has an innate nobility that adults don’t have, and while a child has a hard time navigating the grey shades of an adult world, he couldn’t find anyone else good/capable enough to wield these powers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Billy Batson and the Magic of SHAZAM – this was simply a fun retelling of Captain Marvel’s adventures. And one that I think makes a solid reflection of how a live-action Capt Marvel would be.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE MARVEL FAMILY
    Usually Capt Marvel has some family/friends to aid him. I think he should first start off alone, then in any sequels (if they happen) he should be accompanied by his sister Mary. You don't see many superhero families kicking butt together on screen.
    [​IMG]

HERO APPEARANCES
    I think Wonder Woman (and maybe Superman) should make an appearance in this.

Wonder Woman is a half-god, so she has ties to Capt Marvel with his use of Greco-Roman deities and would be perfect to see in the film.

Superman I am less sure about, because it’s too easy to get Superman and Capt Marvel to fight each other. Particularly since the DC Cinematic Universe’s version of Superman is less a tights-clad champion of justice and more an alien raised on earth and targeted as a potential threat. Maybe just have Capt Marvel be a fan of Superman, with him not really understanding how complex Supe’s position is to the world.

2. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    The original graphic Novel Power of Shazam was also pretty good. Also the Alex Ross Power of Hope.

3. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Checked them out. Power of Shazam looks okay, but Power of Hope is awesome; Alex Ross knows how to make Capt Marvel look like a boss (KINGDOM COME was sterling proof of that), and the story perfectly captures the balance of super-powered fun and responsibility.

[​IMG]

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I hope they draw from Jeff Smith's Shazam! And the Monster Society of Evil

[​IMG]

I really, really enjoyed this graphic novel, and I thought it nailed the idea of the magic of Shazam being not about power or control but about being a metaphor for building a family and finding our place in the world, about using our strengths to build those relationships and a better community instead of focusing on ourselves.

I'm actually kind of hyped for The Rock as Black Adam.

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I remember the comic where Dr. Sivana siphoned the shazam powers. That was awesome.

6. rapid_fire

rapid_fire Banned

At first I thought this thread was about this

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Wisdom of Shaquille O'Neal
    Strength of sHaquille O'Neal
    Stamina of shAquille O'Neal
    Power of shaquilleZ O'Neal
    Courage of shaqueAl O'Neal
    Speed of Shaquille O'Meal

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I just want a fun movie. They already made Superman depressing, leave Captain Marvel out of it.

He's a kid gosh darn it!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Man, Alex Ross can fucking DRAW! I love that man's style.

• Like Like x 1
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  11. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Interesting. Looks like that unspecified DC movie for October of 2018 could very well be Shazam. I was assuming that would be the release date for The Batman, but maybe they're saving it for the added 2019 date.

While I don't want to see them go overboard like Marvel is starting to, I would kinda like to see Captain Marvel and Black Adam fight alongside/against some of the other DC-CU characters. Maybe in the second Justice League movie?

That said, I'm really starting to get antsy over who they'll cast for Captain Marvel and Billy. I hope they're careful in their selection process.

12. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    Oh yeah I totally forgot this was a thing.

Hope they finally get started on the casting process, outside of The Rock we don't know who else is in it.

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    SHAZAM Producer Hiram Garcia Talks About The Film's Tone, Development, And DC Films

"The great thing with Shazam for me as a fan, I was always a fan of Superman and his mythology as I grew up. I remember it was Alex Ross's Kingdom Come that was the first time that ever made me look at Shazam just differently. I just knew of Shazam, you know the name, you knew the word, but I thought Alex Ross... He portrayed him and drew him in that epic kind of conflict that him and Superman ultimately had. It just made me look at Shazam in way like this is a bad mother[frick]er."

"I promise you dude, we're not gonna f--- this up! My vision is so clear for this story and this movie. As story tellers, you sometimes get on projects but this has always been a priority. I've been carrying the Black Adam torch for so many years before we finally locked it in and I'm telling you we're gonna knock this thing out of the park. It's gonna be a blast and it's gonna be a dope ride, so get ready!"

14. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  15. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
  16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    ...says a guy who really knew nothing about the character, and then thinks Kingdom Come is a valid introduction. Uggggggghhhhh...

Also, a guy who says, "I promise you, dude!" is clearly another Snyder. Uggggggggghhhhh...

:( 

18. Autovolt 127

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits: