Shattered Glass

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Death Dancaa, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Death Dancaa

Death Dancaa Rocknrollicon

Shattered Glass is perhaps the most popular thing to ever come out of the TFCC. I don’t know a TF fan who hasn’t at least heard of it by now. But the thing is that after all this time, it’s also become incredibly hard to get your hands on some of those figures and comics. I feel like at this point, given the popularity of SG within the fandom, that they should start reviving the concept. I think that they’d probably be pretty successful if they launched a line of Generations Shattered Glass figures based on the War For Cybertron and Prime Wars molds. Anyone else feel like this?

• Like Like x 8
  2. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    I don't think Hasbro would ever do a whole line of Shattered Glass figures, but some figures would be neat to see in the Generations toy line.

Heck, we've already gotten figures like Rodimus Unicronus in Power of the Primes, and Shattered Glass Optimus Prime in the Masterpiece toy line.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Death Dancaa

Maybe it is unlikely but it doesn’t really change the fact that I’d love to see it happen. In particular I’d love to see the Seige seeker mold and PotP Dinobots put to use. And that’s just a couple ideas I have for a hypothetical revival.

4. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, I think "Mirror Universe Transformers" is too niche to support an entire line. I wouldn't mind incorporating some characters as recolors or retools into existing mass-retail lines like WFC.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Death Dancaa

Perhaps if not a full line, this would be a way to get me to think that Generations Selects has legitimate purpose.

• Like Like x 9
  6. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland

News Credits:
    Shattered Glass can stay dead IMO. It was an okay idea that was taken way too far and is just kind of eye-rollish now.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Death Dancaa

Agree to disagree

• Like Like x 8
  8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Shattered Glass is a concept that requires the audience to be intimately familiar with the setting already to understand and appreciate the "twist" shattered glass puts on it. That's a hard sell for a more general line, and even if it were limited to things like Hasbro Pulse and exclusives, there's a whole universe of other ideas they could approach instead. It's a pass for me.

It worked as a convention-exclusive universe, and very specifically because it was a convention-exclusive universe. I don't think it needs a revival outside of that space.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to see a retail released Shattered Glass line but it would probably confuse civilians.

Pity because it's better than the stylised, childish lines of recent years like Bot Bots, Robots in Disguise or Rescue Bots.

If you are interested in getting toys of Shattered Glass characters, TFWiki does have a list of all the toys repurposed from pre-existing figures so you might have some secondary characters already.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Death Dancaa

I’m entirely aware of the repurposed figures. I do already have a couple. It’s the actual TFCC/Botcon figures I can never get my hands on. But while it might be a bit odd for casual fans I don’t think it’d be that hard to grasp. They sold Rodimus Unicronus after all.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Yes, they're ridiculously overpriced on EBay.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ron8675309

ron8675309 Exploding Salamander Of Exploding Salamanders

Hell no, they drilled that stupid mirror universe-opposite color nonsense into the ground during its day. Begone!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    It had possibilities and nice deco's. But the fiction quickly turned boring and thanks to the practice of making every character just a redeco of that character's G1 design so did the character designs.
    Stuff like SG Galvatron and Octopunch was cool.
    SG Optimus and Rodimus where boring.

14. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I can see it as a side-thing for whatever modern Transformers cartoon is airing at the time, like how "Star Trek: Deep Space 9" had 1 Mirror Universe episode (almost) each season. I believe "Transformers Animated" was planning on having at least one in their season 4 plans.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, that's how I'd prefer a Shattered Glass fiction (either in a show or comic) to be depicted. Mirror universes are only really interesting when they have a regular universe to contrast to.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I would like Shattered Glass released at retail but remain heroic Autobots and evil Decepticons. They would be the alternate SG color scheme but as a regular heroic Autobot or evil Decepticon even if the character is known to be for the other faction. This would be heroic Autobot Sunstorm, repainted from Siege Starscream. The color scheme showed up in Five Faces of Darkness.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

I honestly think 'Evil Universe' is such a well established and repeatedly successful thing for superhero/scifi franchises that the public probably wouldn't be very confused AT ALL if reverse versions of pop culture recognizable Transformers showed up on shelves in modest numbers next to the rest.

You've all gotta consider people outside this forum don't exactly live in boxes, blind to the nature of fandom or geek culture, even if Transformers isn't their personal niche.

Big menacing letters with cracks and lightning strikes:

TRANSFORMERS: SHaTt3R3D gL@$S

With reverse color faction symbols, menacing Autobot art and bio blurbs and friendly Decepticon art and bio blurbs wouldn't actually confuse ANYONE. They'd say 'oh like Justice League, Star Trek, etx etx did one time cool.'

A LOT of people know Optimus, Bee, Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, Rodimus, Ironhide, Grimlock, etc etc.

Take those BIG5 characters and you could give them a little square of shelf space between Generations and Cyberverse with CHUG molds done up 'wacky evil universe style' and they'd move as much as anything else. The 'oh weird' factor is a selling point for kids and geeks sometimes too.

• Like Like x 5
  18. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Well all my MP Autobots are as close as it gets to their SG versions.

And I am trying to customise a Wheeljack.

So yes pl0x?

19. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Most popular thing to come out of the TFCC? Yeah, probably. Popular within the fandom? Ehhh... there I'd give pause. I think there's a corner of the fandom that enjoys Shattered Glass, but I don't think that corner is very large. Probably just a couple thousand people, which coincidentally is roughly the production run on most SG toys, which is why you're having trouble finding any, and when you do find some they command outrageous prices. But I don't think new SG toys would sell very well, because one, it is a niche concept that really only people who were into Botcon and FunPub latched onto, and two, the toys are expensive because of their highly limited quantities. If Hasbro were to offer them at normal retail quantities, I suspect they would not sell.

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I hate Shattered Glass and hope it's done forever. Derivative tripe.

• Like Like x 1