Shattered Glass.... why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 13, 2011.

1. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I see. So your question is not why Shattered Glass universe or why exclusives or why Hasbro but "Why does Funpub not make more obscure G1 characters instead of creating new characters?" Why not more Club Punch/Counterpunch, Runabout, Runamuck instead of Shattered Glass Prime, SG Cyclonus or SG Drift?

The anwers are many and varied. One reason is that the club wants to try offering something different as to appeal to a wide variety of fans. The second reason is that the clubs doesn't want to get burnt too often. Chances of a Hasbro mass release shattered glass pimre = 0%. Chances of a Hasbro Thundercracker, Kup, Scourge, etc. . . > 0%. Hasbro has been moving more and more into the obscure characters suchs as evidence by Thunderwing and Straxus. They are even retooling the heads now per Skullgrin and Junkion. The club needs to continue to differentiate itself.

As to why SG Drift and Runabout and Runamuck? Hasbro has already used both of these molds twice. Thunderwing, Wreck-gar and any Warpath or Perceptor repaints will only be the second use.

2. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

I'm personally not a fan of Shattered Glass. This "Mirror Mirror" stuff is old and cliche.

Ultimately though, from what I gathered of this thread before it derailed, was that the OP may have been confused on one important thing: FansProject and Fun Publications are two entirely separate companies.

Fun Publications is licensed by Hasbro to handle the BotCon and Transformers Collector Club exclusives, as far as the toys go. They use molds permitted by Hasbro to make them, and are given an additional budget to use on new headsculpts and paint apps.

FansProject is a "Third Party" Company that operates completely outside of anything Hasbro does. They have no legal connection to Hasbro whatsoever. Or BotCon.

That's why I try not to use the abbreviation "FP." It can get confusing.

3. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Good points there. Especially with Straxus. Thunderwing, I am not so sure how obscure he is. He is not seen too much in the comics, but he is this all encompassing character.

But I see your point on that. Maybe Hasbro is going that route.

I was thinking today. It's pretty funny cause I am sure a lot of people collect classics who have no idea about the comics. I was one of those. Once I started reading the comics, I am like, shit, classics are comic characters more so then G1 updates. Granted the comic is a G1 update of course.

4. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So classics are like an updated update? :p 

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Pretty much. I actually love my classics line even more now after the comics. Really feeling them.

Also no more, "why does this look like that instead of this" comments. Like Blurr always bothered me for a Classic figure. Not no more, he is a perfect representation of his comic self.

Also, people complaining that Hercules is not G1 enough have to say to themselves, technically all these figures really aren't. They all represent the comics. Which Hercules does a really good job of doing.

My eyes are opened, said the blind man.

6. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    classics are upgraded G1. Its not updated G1.

My opinion:
    Updated G1 = G1 toys with articulation, but completely adhering to Geewun characters. Examples of this would be masterpiece line, and Crazy Devy's upgrades.

Upgraded G1 = modernized toys with G1 homages. Examples of this would be... the classics line, FP stuff, PE stuff, etc.

7. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Buddy, there is nothing comic about Lugnut and Black Shadow, 100% cartoon one way or another, and they're respectively in RTS and Generations.

8. QmTablit

I'm going to ask this line of conversation stop now before we start pulling out terms like "updated homage" and prove tigermegatron right.

9. BMBquimby

BMBquimby Tripredacus Agent

You can still get the convention comic in the TFCC store.:thumbs2: 

10. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the record. My definitions are swapped with yours.

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, not all figures. And I could be wrong, but was black shadow in the G1 cartoon? I don't feel like I recall him at all. Lugnut is clearly Animated. You ask around, and a lot of people may bot include Lugnut as one of their classics.

12. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Actually, now that I read my own, I guess it can be swapped as well. The names are interchangable, or rather, to me a bit, vague. The point is, and I am sure you agree though: that they are two different catagories. as in, things like MP and crazy devy compared to Classics and others. They don't mesh. period.

13. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    Lugnut was retro-added into Geewun.

Black Shadow, iirc, was from Victory. You can consider it neo-Geewun. But, Victory is the bomb, and Has/tak hasn't touched much of it yet.

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Agreed on that too. But my version works when people cannot stand a character such as blurr. I mean he looks a lot different from his G1 self. Not even upgraded, just different, but works with the comic.

15. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I never read the comics; I just pretend classics is like, after Geewun, there was another war, and most bots and cons came back "different" a bit. That's my own story I suppose.

Never had a problem with blurr, nor Hercules, nor any of the bots made, really. All I care about is if it looks good.

*correction: I did read some comics, like The beast, LSOTW (classic!), All Hail Megs, etc.

16. QmTablit

Black Shadow is from TF: Victory. His toy was a Thunderwing retool/redeco.

As far as his "update" and "upgrade" talk...

In G1, the Autobots and Decepticons were dormant in the Ark for 4 million years before reawakening.

My personal definition for Classics is that they were dormant in the Ark for 4,000,020 years.

Little bit of a "What if?" scenario, but nothing is different. Same characters, largely the same alt modes- mostly using newer models of the same vehicle. But that's how I see it. It's still based on the G1 cartoon.

17. Alucard77

News Credits:
    You gotta read the comics. I put them off to catch up on the cartoons. But I had to take a break after watching Head Masters. Too much head on for me. So I am afraid to go back to cartoons at this point.

So I picked up the comics. The IDW stuff to me is killer. It is like grown up Transformers. All Hail Megatron alone could have been a damn movie. I think a lot of G1 loyalists would have enjoyed that more then the current movies we have.

18. QmTablit

I have the first volume of AHM. It's so-so.

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Infiltration and such started out a bit better.

But AHM to me is like a summer popcorn flick. It is good, gets to the point and is cool at the same time. It is not epic, but I think it is very entertaining.

I think as a movie, it would have done pretty well. But that is based off of G1 bias. I cannot stand the new movies.

20. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Aww shit son, I saw a leprechaun too yo! :lol 

On topic: SG is cool with me, I like the whole role reversal thing. Seeing the good guys go bad, what's not to love?