Shattered Glass.... why?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I love the SG verse for what it is. Gives me a bunch of cool characters and repaints that otherwise wouldnt happen. As far as the figs being expensive, fans of SG need to jump on the figs early so they dont have spend tons of cash later for them, and if your an SG fan-you already know this.

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It doesn't take being an elitist to take pride in having an item that's more rare than others.

3. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    TF Mirror Universe. I loves it.

4. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Couple of conversations going on.

Price - I won't get into that.

SG Drift is holding up Deadlock
    Funpub exclusives do not hold anything Hasbro up. Hasbro decides what Funpub can do. if Hasbro was planning on a Deadlock anytime soon they would not have allowed SG Drift to happen.

EDIT: And to cut off the Thundercracker issue, I'll repeat argument: "Games of Destruction was allowed to happen because Hasbro did not have any plans to continue the Classics line at that time. Furthermore, Hasbro completing a seeker trio let alone the six is the exception not the norm."

Shattered Glass Universe
    As has been mentioned, it's the fascination with a mirror universe where bad is good and good is bad. It's the reason we love the stuncticons and jetfire. In G1, Drift is an a-hole both as a deception and as a autobot. On the other hand, SG Drift is suppose to be the guy you love to hate. He's not Deadlock.

Shattered Glass toys
    This all comes down to the toys of course. The Shattered Glass universe allows Funpub to make toys that Hasbro is not going to make. You can buy the toys if you enjoy the Shatter-verse or even if you don't. Funpub has re-purposed some toys into SG versions. You can do the opposite.

SG Optimus = Motormaster
    SG Hot Rod = Wildrider (if you don't have the Gentei version)
    SG Grimlock = Trypticon
    SG Sideswipe = Drench
    SG Thundercracker = Actionmaster Thundercracker

And back to price, the ~$60 these guys originally go for is a steal. Funpub is not the ones creating the aftermarket price.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Comon man, that is a bullshit comment. WTF?

6. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So they have sick collections with rare/expensive/hard to obtain items in them. Maybe they would be willing to part with them for retail or below?
    Has nothing to do with elitist thinking.
    It is a simple fact of life in collecting.
    Things get expensive.
    Lower production runs mean higher prices.
    What FunPub does has nothing whatsoever to do with what Hasbro does, never has, never will.
    For the record I don't collect SG or any other botcon items except the Animated stuff. I feel special because I love what I collect. I also love being able to explain the very basic concepts of collecting to the uninformed when needed.

7. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    i know i have a limited mount of space so i choose to use it for stuff that isn't just run of the mill. i like getting less…mass released figures and more hard to find stuff. that being said, i only get what interests me and for the most part SG isn't it. i would really like a purple optimus, but that's on the far low end of what's on my wants list. it's completionists that i din't understand, but i don't begrudge them for their collecting style.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    I personally think it's the stupidest concept ever. Or at least the most badly executed.

9. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any particular reason?

10. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No they're not.

Botcon and club figures are only produced in the thousands ( for example the 2011 Botcon sets were limited to 2000, 1600 boxed, 400 bagged, this was the highest produced set ever).

The figures at retail are produced in the tens of thousands and in some cases probably hundreds of thousands and are distributed worldwide.

The less of anything you make, the more it is going to cost.

11. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Good guy molds still look like good guy molds even with a so-called evil paint scheme and vice versa. And most of the decos are painful to look at.

12. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Botcon 2007 Dreadwind is so disappoint right now.

13. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love the SG designs.

Course I'm a fan of any "Dark Mirror" concept. Moreso because I like to see how the evil guys look and act as good guys. All the genius and power of Megatron without all th psycho insane drive to destroy everything, but rather a clarity of focus and clearly defined goals.

Also love the idea of Optimus being bat shit crazy and not holding back when he fights.

14. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    The cost thing I am dropping. It's fine if the releases are as low as stated.

As for the elitist thing. When you use words like Prestige and separating the "serious" collectors, so on. That rings of elitism.

For me personally, I own a couple of "elite" items. Realistically though, I rather everyone be able to enjoy said elite items.

But I think this place is really starting to make sense to me. So I will most likely stop with anything cost related. There is nothing wrong with being an elitist, I don't hold it against anybody. But I can understand the whole reason why cost is not an issue then.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    Well, in a way that's part of the appeal of the mirror universe. We know what the Autobots look like, and we've grown accustomed to them being the good guys. In SG, they still look the same in body, but the forms we've known as the good guys are now the BAD guys. Same for the bad guys, who still look like the bad guys, but are now the GOOD guys. Kind of a mind screw moment, really.

As for the colors, you have to keep in mind that when not basing them off of the original characters, the SG versions of characters have the color schemes of OTHER TF's from the other side. I.E. Starscream in SG is colored like Jetfire, and Abominus (and team members) are colored to look like Computron and the Technobots. And most of the time, those are colors that were never meant to be used for the "correct" versions of those molds, so that's why they tend to look a bit wonky.

Just my :2c:  on the matter.

16. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    I think you're using the term elitest extremely loosely just to fit a generalization that you want it to.

Elitests condescend on others. Elitest feel that not only their collection, but they as people are better than others.

Liking an item or having an item because it's rare in no way, shape, or form makes you an elitest. And yes, people who differentiate items based on rarity/price, or tend to prioritize obtaining those normally ARE more serious than others who collect the same products.

A 2007 botcon boxset on someone's shelf is going to be pretty universally considered better and more rare than a few RTS figures on another person's. Especially by serious collectors. Elitism has nothing to do with it.

17. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Sioce's response had every bit of that in it.

And TJ, I agree with you. Taking joy in your item is fine.

It is Sioce response. Or actually both responses as they were toned in that general manner. And there are definitely people who looking back I could say act in an elitist fashion about things.

It's not meant towards you. I know you have a killer collection, but I never looked at your post and saw any elitism in them.

18. Sioce

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Like it or not there is a separation between types of collectors. There will always be a gulf between those who have the money to spend and those who don't. Nothing you can say or do will ever change it.
    There are those who will put off a mortgage payment for that super hard to find item. There are those who dip into thier retirement funds for the same reason.
    There are also those who will buy nothing above retail. There is a gulf here and always will be.
    "Elitist" is an ignorant word when used as some type of veiled insult.
    If you want other people to have the "elite" items you own, sell them for a cheap price and let someone else enjoy them. We both know you won't do that.
    Conviction and action are totally different things. ;) 
    I have some very nice items that I worked hard to aquire. Whether it was through saving, customs, trades whatever. However I consider myself a casual collector. I never use the "house money" to buy anything, no matter how cheap or rare. However I can never begrudge someone how the other side collects. This hobby holds a different place in life for each of us.

It always boils down to: If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Your attepts to insult me are a joke. You are the one and only person who "read" my posts that way. Trying to insinuate I implied something I obviously did not is yet again, ignorant.

19. Alucard77

News Credits:
    See you took elitism as an insult. It's fine that you are. Look at your tone and how you speak.

Educating those "below" you and all.

20. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

As they say, "That's the way the cookie crumbles.".

And Alucard, perception obviously varies from person to person, but I don't see Sioce as being Elite or condescending to you at all on this matter. He's being very straightforward with you, but he's being respectful and he's not insulting you.

And I really do appreciate you clearing up who your post was directed at, for sure dude. And, I feel the same way about you: Your collection is nice, and you take pride in the nice things you have. You've even made multiple posts in this thread about your collection, having collected all of ______, your backdrops, etc. etc.. I don't view you as an "elitist" for having or doing things that others don't at all. You're just a dude with some cool stuff wanting to share man.