Shattered Glass- dead horse?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mrhillz, Apr 26, 2012.

1. mrhillz

mrhillz Changed his user title. TFW2005 Supporter

So is this a beaten dead horse yet? I can't help but think it might be getting a little stale.

2. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Absolutely. I'm worried if I actually go to BotCon at some point all the toys will STILL be SG.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    "Getting"?!! Try "got." As in, GOT a little stale, years ago already.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    The normal SG universe? Absolutely.

I'm interested in what bits and pieces I've seen of the would-have-been SG TFA universe, though.

5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    I think SG could need a change, let's have SG Beast Wars. The heroic Predacons under Megatron vs the evil Maximals of the rogue general Optimus Primal.

That could be a fun twist, though more pain for me seeing more BW characters as Botcon sets.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    and to make that happen they have to make more Beast Wars Classics. Get to work Hasbro and Funpub.

7. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    In the Shattered Glass universe, beating a dead horse is an entertaining and productive thing to do.

8. T4mercustomz

T4mercustomz I LIVE

News Credits:
    I like the idea of shattered glass. I like the idea of this years botcon. seems in the only one though

9. Omnius

Omnius Guest

News Credits:
    It was a clever twist back in 2008 but I feel they've milked it to death.

10. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I like the idea behind SG, but I would really like to see FunPub tackle something different.

11. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I would be inclined to whine about SG as a recurring theme, but if they keep using it to get Diaclone schemes out there, then I won't complain at all.

12. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've never understood the draw, and seems like nothing more than Hasbro/FunPub milking a toy mold for all it's worth. Personally, I never feel left out whatsoever when I don't get a SG figure or exclusive. They have no appeal whatsoever for me.
    Let it go already.

13. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I really like the idea of Shattered Glass. It's still fairly new, and it's fun to see the Transformers play a reverse role.
    This is a good thing.
    Sure it might not last forever, but I look forward to more.
    Eventually it will start to go stale, but before it does I hope to get a Shattered Glass Ratchet out of it first.

I'm with you.

14. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    SG Dead Horse is one of the few SG figures I might buy. He is, of course, immortal.

-ZacWilliam, I dont think I'm fit to judge as I've found SG pretty uninteresting from the very begining. I hope they ease off it in the future.

15. Whovian Zorker

Whovian Zorker Well-Known Member

COMING SOON FROM FUNPUB: Shattered Glass Beast Wars Maximal Dead Horse!

Remolded from Beast Machines Battle Unicorn (to remove that pesky horn, because horses don't have a horn in the middle of their foreheads).

(I hope not.)

The idea of a Mirror Universe is a well-used (and often badly-used) one. It can be found in SF settings from Star Trek to Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors. Whether it succeeds depends on whether the "twist" in the characters is interesting or not.

How is FunPub doing with the idea? They have some hits:

SG Starscream is not only good (duh), but competent and loyal.

SG Cyclonus, based a on a combination of G1 Hot Rod (
    accidentally got his leader killed
    ) and a twist on his G1 self (
    fiercely loyal to his leader
    ),
    turned out to be a mole and assassinated his leader
    . (Spoilered for the three people who haven't found the SG stuff out yet and would like to be surprised with no hints when they track down the comic.)

SG Longarm is a weird twisted idea based on Animated Longarm Prime and Alternators Shockblast which I don't understand yet, but is a creative twist.

SG Darkmount is a POET, for goodness' sake! Out of left field, but nice surprise.

And some misses:

SG Scourge is like G1 Kup: Old. [crickets]

Whereas G1 Wheeljack was a mad scientist, SG Wheeljack is an evil, crazy mad scientist. Yeah. (I am reminded of Warpath's line from Hoist Goes Hollywood: "He is...no match for the alien robots...I-I mean, the evil alien robots." )

I still think there is potential here (and they need to pick up the thread from the last prose story and continue), but they need to be more creative with some of these characters.

16. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist Well-Known Member

seems like a pretty blatent attempt at rationalizing the selling high priced repaints...

17. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Shattered Glass is a good direction for Botcon to take, from a business perspective, since it's popular and sidesteps a lot of problems with IP and figure choice. It allows them to use molds and decos in a way that's recognizable, but novel and outside of the normal expectations of repaints. So it makes sense for them to continue with it as long as it remains profitable.

The characterizations, universe, and "repurposing", however, I found stale and uninteresting even from the start, and I really don't care much for the sub-franchise. I'm sure it could be interesting when done right, but I haven't seen any signs of that yet.

18. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    The only bad thing about SG is, that the stories are mostly exclusive and it's harder to get them. And some of them are only .pdf files instead of comics.

Other than that, I still find SG fascinating. I think there should be happening more stuff.

19. LamboTwinLove

LamboTwinLove Lambo Assassin

I just want a SG Sunstreaker toy, damn it!

I really like it back in 08 and really would have loved an entire comic line for it. But it is getting a bit milked. They could do something else. Then again, they know it did so well and there are people who LOVE SG. So maybe the people who wanted more are more vocal then those who think it's time to move on.

Who know...

JUST GIVE ME MY SUNSTREAKER!

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Shattered Glass has potential, but in my opinion this year's Botcon really failed at using the motif, which is only compounded by the fact many of the molds are great figures and deserve better. Aside from SG Soundwave, all the other SG characters are more or less complete nobodies, and the fact the whole thing isn't 100% SG is because FP wanted to force a bad guy Overlord into the set.