Shattered Glass a reference for SSSS Gridman

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by GWolfv2, Oct 13, 2018.

1. calubin175

calubin175 Well-Known Member

1539567542102.jpg 1539567810952.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  2. King Diamocon

King Diamocon Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  3. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Strike Coaltion

If I had a dollar for every time someone was incredulous at the mention of “Trigger” or “Gridman” in the same sentence as the Transformers, well... maybe I’d have a free lunch! :p 

All that toxicity seemed especially silly to me since I had bought Gridman and Dyna Dragon from KB Toys, the same place that I got my TF: Machine Wars and Zoids kits, long ago in my youth.

And guess who designed those?
    Or, what rhymes with Takasa Tony?

More importantly, I liked the first episode of SSSS Gridman, but haven’t gotten to the second so this is quite a surprise, and a pleasant one!

I haven’t read any of the Shattered Glass comics, but I do like some of the redecos and the general idea of a TF Bizarroverse. Still, from skimming TFWiki, I’m aware that I’m not missing a whole lot.

But, if SG is the only way that we get TriggerFormers, so be it. That might just prove to be a creative constraint that becomes an extremely productive and rewarding challenge.

In the meantime, FansHobby just release an MP SG PMOP, while Iron Factory has their own Legends SG PMOP on the way, for anybody looking for some fresh Bizarroverse figures in their life.

I first heard this tune this summer while watching the Animator Expo short that prototyped Trigger’s current run of Gridman, and—man—that is a very catchy song. Totally silly, but also a welcome lingering of sheer fun.

Imaishi did some Key Animation and Mechanical Animation Direction in Diebuster—my favorite of the ‘Busters, and Hiroyuki was the Director of TTGL and P&Sw/G. So, no it’s not Trigger, but it is Imaishi cutting his teeth and he’s pretty much the heart of Trigger.

Outside of his work, I stalled on Kiznaiver after the first couple of episodes, and I still haven’t gotten around to the finale of DitF since that was a hot mess. Then, the only other none Imaishi show, besides Gridman—and Little Witch Academia apparently, is When Supernatural Battles Become Common Place, which totally slipped unde my radar.

But, Kill la Kill, Ninja Slayer, and the Little Witch Academia movie are all things I would watch again, and I plan to get around to Space Patrol Luluco and the LWA series... sometime.

Personally, I’d rather Bones made mecha again, but Star Driver and Captain Earth we’re’nt really worth a returning to, so... they should hold onto MHA’s ride as long as they can. At the very least then, they’ll be well funded if and when they do return to mecha. Though, I suppose there’s also the Eureka Seven movies, which give me as much of a sinking feeling as ever seeing Rebuild of Eva conclude. All that aside, Xam’d is definitely in my top 10, maybe top 5 anime, and E7 makes it to the top 10, too.

Meanwhile, it seems the first footage for Promare, Imaishi’s next project screening next year, also revealed recently that it’s a featur film that looks it will be taking all that he’s learned in the last 15 or 16 years and reapplying it to a scenario that looks a lot like Dead Leaves, his directorial debut OVA for Production I.G.

So, that’s another shot for ya.

But, ya know, Gainax has to build it if they want people to come.

Apparently, they weren’t even involved with the new FLCL, which I haven’t gotten around to and don’t really feel much of an interest.

Oh, and I didn’t know that Anno had left to form Khara, otherwise I would’ve noted “Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo” or “The Dragon Dentist,” alas.

Still, Gainax has a trilogy of Leiji Matsumoto films planned from 2020-2026, and that could be good... possibly maybe... :D 

• Like Like x 3
  4. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind a TF anime shows that borrows elements from TF Devastation game's line art style.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Kafuka Fuura

Kafuka Fuura Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this, but you can find the TF references even on the "Key Visual" of the anime

Untitled-1.jpg

The girl in the front is that thunder girl and the logo sticker on her phone is a combination of a thunder shape and "TCC"

• Like Like x 3
  6. Fallout

Fallout you finally met your nemesis

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 3
  7. oku

oku Chill.

News Credits:
    upload_2018-10-15_13-7-32.png

• Like Like x 20
  8. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    I see some Legacy Zords in that pic. I wonder what'll be based on those?

• Like Like x 1
  9. My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe

My BaLl JoInTs ArE lOoSe Well-Known Member

I just thinking about the scenario of a random gust of wind/earthquake knocking all of that down. Oof
    Also, his desk looks awfully familiar. . . *looks at own desk*

• Like Like x 1
  10. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Strike Coaltion

And there’s head phones in the SG Ravage pencil case.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kafuka Fuura

Kafuka Fuura Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And the logo on the pencil case...

IMG_20181016_092523.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  12. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    On a non-Transformers related note, that collection "showroom" is actually referential to Blizzards' Heroes of the Storm MOBA game. Most of the vinyl kaiju dolls in that case are based on characters skins in that game. The most repeated, one-eyed creature is "Pajamathur", Starcraft II's Abathur in "cute" baby form. There's also a Zagara (Starcraft II), a couple of Butcherlisks (Diablo III's Butcher demon reskinned as a Zerg creature), Dehaka (Starcraft II), and Stitches (Warcraft III/WoW Abomination zombie).

I have a bit of a theory here, but I can't really speak for the guys at Trigger so I may be entirely off-base. But from what I know from Japanese culture, they're very "reverent" of their heroic characters. Characters like Optimus Prime/Convoy are larger-than-life paragons of virtue, but that also means that they're frequently victims of narrative stasis. Look at all the Transformers anime, between their many iterations of Convoy, and his successors like Star Saber; they're generally, bland, one-note "hero of heroes" types with very little distinguishing personality traits otherwise. Character development is slim to non-existent.

Look at Japanese Idol culture, and how any shake-ups to a troupe, or changes in relationship status are met with insane levels of vitriol.

What Shattered Glass represents is a major change in status-quo, at least in how traditionally heroic characters are viewed. While its actual story may not be any good, I wouldn't be surprised if Imaishi and others took to it because of how much it challenges traditional Japanese storytelling, being something of an imagination goldmine by overturning the usual franchise conceptions.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

Really? Outside of tokusatsu and kids anime (and BNHA) you don't really see that too much, and either way I'd struggle to name any honestly wholesome Gainax/Trigger protagonists if even there are any. If anything it might be the opposite, looking at some of their other works these guys definitely already have a love for their villain characters and antiheroes. I think what you're picking up is that Japanese toy companies don't tend sell toys of villain characters as much, for marketing and "public morals" and yadda yadda.

I kind of take the SG love to be a part of Trigger's "Style IS Substance" attitude, given the gimmick of the line is entirely having cool redecos and character reinterpretations. Doubly so since most the references are just to those two things.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  14. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Little Witch Academia? (I'm basing that entirely off the fact that Netflix gave it a TV-Y7 rating. Haven't actually seen the show.)

• Like Like x 1
  15. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    I wasn't speaking about Gainax/Trigger specifically, but Japanese fiction in general.

It's not that Japanese fiction is devoid of deconstructional elements, but that it's largely a demographic standard. True "childhood heroes" are generally unimpeachable. Material intended for more mature audiences will play with this a bit, but usually through expies rather than sully the reputation of the real hero himself. You'll never see Goku, for example, truly, genuinely give up on life because "what's the point of all this fighting if all it does is invite more villains to take their shots at me and put my friends in danger" and let the villain kill him or something. Rather, you'll see transparent parodies of him do so instead.

American comics/cartoons have no such hang-ups, and while overall still fairly rare, you'll actually have stories where Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man, etc. will take actions either completely counter to their moral fiber, or they'll suffer crises of conscience wherein their reasons for being are held into question.

I think Shattered Glass sort of fits into that mold, where you have a character that is still recognizable as Optimus Prime being an irredeemable villain. Sometimes actually seeing your heroes in a different light can have a profound impact in a way that a stand-in can't, and even if the story itself wasn't any good, it can still be an exciting feeling.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    In the midst of watching episode two I spotted this girl.
    10B330E6-7ED8-4D8B-99B1-4D428BC87E25.jpeg
    Is she supposed to be Tiger Stripe Grimlock or someone else from G2?
    C9B96451-976A-49E8-BC56-B8307E6D6B4D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    That's the Actionmaster Thundercracker character.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Pure Passion

News Credits:
    Oh so it is.
    6A10134B-F734-4565-A30C-D27A3A714B9D.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Ryuko and Satsuki aren't exactly virtuous maidens :lol 
    Neither are the rest of the good guys.
    That's kind of the point in KLK.

• Like Like x 2
  20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Studio Trigger getting the Transformers license for an anime has my 100% support. It would be a glorious thing. If they did an anime based on Siege, I'd die and my wallet with me because I'd instantly want all the toys...

• Like Like x 10