Sharkticomics

Discussion in 'Transformers Funnies' started by Sharktibolt, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So guys, what was it I was teasing you over?

Today's actually a pretty big day for Sharkticomics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    10 Anniversary Comic!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  3. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    Alright, let's kick off the next battle!

Comic #758

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. legotron123

legotron123 Child of Primus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It has been so long I have completely forgotten who that is.

5. halconfenix

halconfenix burning the wallet

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    cant blame you on that one, i barely remember the main characters...

6. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    So. Hello everyone. How's it going? Been some time. To say the least, I'm sure. But I figured it's been long overdue since anything, and well, I should at least give a life update.

Let's start off with the job situation. As of November last year, more or less right in between of when the last two comics were posted, I got a new job. No longer working at Target, I am now working in the frozen/dairy department in a local supermarket. And more recently I have become full time there, so my hours have increased to what appears to be a steady 40+ hour weeks and only one day off per week. So needless to say I am just exhausted and have not been up for doing all the set up and photo taking for additional comics. I am also still VERY undecided if I actually want to continue working there, there have been some rather intolerable days of work there, but for now I'm still there.

Next is the car situation. Currently don't have a useable one. May was my birthday and thus it was inspection time for my car, and it needed problems fixed before it could pass. So then the choice was to spend $1000+ to fix the problems, which would then only guarantee me another year, or to just start saving for another car. Everyone pretty much thought the latter would be better, but now we are down a car cause neither me, my family, nor my mechanic has been able to find one in the range I can currently afford, and I am needing to save my money to buy a good car that will last a while.

Then there's the laptop situation. I had to get a new laptop back in February, because it started having a system failure and the whole thing would just randomly and unexpectedly crash. Add on top of that, after I got the new laptop, the screen on that previous one started doing the same glitchy problem the one before it had, making it near impossible to tell what's going on on the screen. And, unfortunately, that brings me to a comic update.

Unfortunately all of my comic files are still on that other laptop. I think I literally have not moved a single file that's comic related onto this new laptop, mainly because of how glitchy that old laptop has become. Some times that I have tried getting onto it to grab some other files I needed immediately, I had to go through several attempts because of the glitchy screen prolonging the process, only to then have it crash part way through, and then having to restart the process of attempting again. And to try to get AAAAAALLLLLLLL of those comic files off of that laptop with it working as it is...…….it's a day project if anything. And like I've mentioned, with the new job, there has not been much time.

But now I also need to bring up the whole reason I decided to make this update on myself. I am someone who has kept reading and rereading my own comic. It helps me look back and find errors or broken images that need to be fixed, I keep the story fresh in my head, and honestly I've just been hoping that by doing so it'll rejog that desire to try and make more updates. Well, today, when trying to do so, I discovered that many images are now broken. These were all Google hosted images, and they have all now turned into a minus sign in a circle, which means I don't exactly know what because I can't FIND what it means anywhere. But I do remember Halconfenix mentioning it years ago.

So what's the problem with getting them fixed quickly? Well besides the fact that I can't find what the minus sign in a circle means, I can't even find where the images ARE. I have checked all of my Google Photos places, the broken images appear to be missing in my Google stuff.

To just sum it all up, new job is taking my time, new car is taking my money, old laptop has my comic files, and Google is just the latest image host to break my comics. At this point it really would be MUCH easier to scrap this comic and restart a new one. But I don't want to do that. It's the same thing I've been saying sadly for years now, but I don't want to give up on this, not when the story I wanted to tell isn't done and not after I've invested so much time and effort into this. But it's really just getting harder and harder to get back into it when so much seems to be getting in the way. :(  So I guess until I have another update of some kind, TTFN.

7. Optimax Prime

Optimax Prime The 14th Prime

Fort Optimax (which is more than meets the eye)
    maybe try checking around here to see if someone knows of a better image host

8. JorfimusPrime

JorfimusPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry you're having a rough time, I know what that's like. Really hoping it all comes together for you. Don't worry about the comic, we'll all be here still when you come back to it. God knows I'd be the last one allowed to say anything against hiatuses!

Let me know if you need to talk. I wish I could do more than that but life doesn't always allow that. But still, I know when I was going through all of my issues it meant a lot to me and helped me just knowing people had my back. All my best to you and Sharkticon!

I migrated everything to Imgur after directly posting here and then linking from Facebook albums both failed me in the long run. Hoping this will be at least a little more permanent but it's only been like a month or two so I don't know. If you go that way and decide to use that for your host, when you want to post a picture you'll need to copy and paste the "BBcode" link.

Also I changed everything to be one image with all of the panels strung together. Takes a little time to get that together on all the old comics but makes uploading and posting so much easier, and doesn't take a whole lot of extra time once you're doing it at the same time you make each strip. I don't want to hijack your thread with a whole list of instructions on that, PM me if you want to know more about that.

9. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    Alright, so I've got a bit more of a positive update today. I spent hours today just trying to work with my old laptop and all its crashes and its glitchy screen, and managed to get off the first 400 Sharkticomics updates, as well as nearly all of Forced Peace. So those comics are all now on my current laptop, so I can at least go about fixing any broken comics from that bunch.

Unfortunately, even that has to come with some bad news. For some strange and unexplained reason, the final comic of Forced Peace does not appear to exist on any laptop I have. My oldest one just has a text file for the dialog, and the last one just doesn't even have a folder for it. And seeing as Google's apparently deleted the uploaded images, I think the original final comic for Forced Peace is gone for good.

It's not all lost though. I was at least able to find the original PHOTOS for the comic. And I have the original dialog still saved in a word document. So I can remake the comic. That's at least a good thing. It may look more like my newer updates than ones from 2013, but it can at least still EXIST.

So good news is I've made progress towards fixing up the broken comics. Nothing has actually been fixed yet as just getting the files off the laptop was HOURS of work, but I figured this was a positive enough of an update to share.

• Like Like x 2
  10. halconfenix

halconfenix burning the wallet

Twitter:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    If you can find a hdd adapter case for cheap you can take the disk drive from your old laptop and convert it to external drive. Tha way you can move all your files (or at least the good ones) to the new laptop without worrying about glitches...

If i remember right the thing with google as image hosting has to do with permissions. That´s why i dont use it for that purpose, because its more trouble than its worth. (i use dA instead, but it requires to do an actual comic strip as a single image)

As for the comic itself... Well i´m in the same boat as you, technically i have more free time but being a school teacher is really exhausting, and that´s not counting the other projects i have to work on, also by the time i can finally get to work on my comic the space i need is not available so... Its a complicated situation.

Let´s face it: we all really wish RL wasnt such a b*** to us....

EDIT: WTH Photobucket?!!

11. JorfimusPrime

News Credits:
    So here's what I do. After take the photos and edit in the text and effects, I use the instructions I found in the attached image to string them all together into one image. Which is usually relatively huge in terms of file size and image size. So I run it through Photoshop to shrink the image down and save it as a JPEG so it's a lot smaller and more manageable. Upload to Imgur, copy the BBcode into a post on here, and there you go. It's kind of annoying to have to do so many steps but the time it saves in putting the images into a post is worth it.

It's going to string together the images in the order they're in the folder. So you're going to want to make sure they're named such that they go in the right order. I use a system where I note which strip it is and then the panel number. For ones that are ten or more panels, you need to put a 0 before the single-digit numbers so it goes in the right order (so 01, 02, 03, etc., otherwise it will put panel 10 before 2 or something -- it's messy).

So yeah. It's a few extra steps but it keeps everything super clean and organized so it's totally worth it, to me. That said I know it will take a whole lot of work on your part given how many comics you have, so it's ultimately up to you if you're willing to go through the extra steps.

Final note, it will take a minute or two for the batch to run, the Command Line window should close automatically when it's done. So if you go this route and it takes a minute don't worry, it's not frozen!

Quick edit: you don't need to make the batch file every time you go to use it, just do it once and copy-paste into the folder with the images you need to put together.

Attached Files:

12. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    I'm...…...not going to lie, I don't understand what either of you are suggesting I do. :lol  For Jorfimus's suggestion though, I am fine with the images not being a single one. More work for me either way I see it, whether I have to repost every image one by one or somehow retroactively combine each comic I've done into a single image. Also you shouldn't need the BBCode anymore for images, since TFW's last big update I've been able to just copy/paste comic images to posts here.

Some more good news though. Fixed the first few pages of comics that had broken Google hosted comics, so the start of my comic is readable again. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  13. JorfimusPrime

News Credits:
    Fair enough! It's hard for me to explain it so I'm not surprised it's tough to follow. As far as the BB Code, that's the only thing that did what I wanted it to do. Maybe I was just doing something wrong somehow but whatever the case, it's working and that's all I care about right now. :lol 

14. ShadowDragon

ShadowDragon R to the D to the D yo.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Sharktibolt

News Credits:
    Hmm...…….I'll consider that I guess. But I so far it hasn't been too much trouble grabbing the files off the old laptops, just time has been the main factor.

So more update/good news to share. I worked on fixing more comics today. Sadly imgur decided it wanted to be a pain, between images getting stuck at random upload percentages for minutes and then the images being uploaded in the wrong order meaning more time went into reorganizing photos than should have been, so I only got a certain amount done. But now the first 25 Forced Peace comics are up again. I thought I'd work on Forced Peace first just because that comic was the most 'on its own' story wise from all the others, so if I got those 100 comics done today then that's like having one whole comic fixed and readable. But of course, imgur essentially made it a much slower process and I only got 1/4th of my goal done today.

But I've decided that, as I go, I shall be updating my Table of Contents in the first post. Any comic that is linked there has been checked by me, at least since this current Google image debacle, and I know its working. Or not hosted by Photobucket. I'll be fixing all of those as well.

The biggest good news, however, is that when I was combing through my old laptops, I actually found LOST material! No, sadly not the 100th comic of Forced Peace, but some other things I had thought were lost when they broke when hosted on Imageshack.

First off was this one off image featuring Windcharger. I had even commented back in 2016 that this was a lost image. So it made me very happy to just unexpectedly find it sitting in a random folder.

The 'bigger' find was all of my comics I made for the TFWC-Con 2011 thread! I have already gone through and fixed every comic I had made, or put them into the thread in one case where the comic wasn't originally posted by me, so if you're interested in reading some crossover stuff that probably hasn't been read in years, that's all there again!

I will continue fixing comics and giving updates when I can or think its worthwhile progress. And who knows, I might even finally get off my butt and make NEW comics, but I've made THAT promise how many times now? :lol 

• Like Like x 1