Shapeways question.....

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by butchrecon72, Dec 10, 2012.

1. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

I recently purchase my first Shapeways accessory. A TF Prime Megatron cannon. I received it and noticed it has a very very rough surface. I don't mind sanding, but is it normal?

2. Darcemeus

Darcemeus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's 3D printing for ya, yes it's normal for shapeways stuff to be rough, depending on the type of material you order though I think there's a way to limit the roughness.

3. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've ordered and received a set recently, and mine's the same. I think it's normal.

4. 1984forever

1984forever Banned

Anybody order the polished stuff? is it sanded down evenly?

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The full range of materials can be seen here: 3D Printing Materials on Shapeways

The materials you can order a particular part in are determined by the designer and by the physical constraints of the material. All materials will be textured from the printing process.

The most common, inexpensive, and most durable material is White, Strong and Flexible, at it comes with the texture of a fine sandpaper. There is a polished version that is run through a tumbler, which does an excellent job removing the tactile texture, but it will still be visibly textured and may lose some of the printed detail during polishing. You can see the difference here: http://static1.sw-cdn.net/rrstatic/img/materials/wsf-polishcompare.jpg

Well enough, generally. Just keep in mind, unlike a molded product, each printing and sanding is unique, and there may be some minor variation.

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    In addition to what Process said, those looking for the smoothest items should consider Frosted Ultra Detail. It is more expensive and more fragile than WSFP but it has the highest resolution and smoothest texture.

I rather like Polished Aluminide myself. It seems strong from my pieces using it. It's smoother than WSFP. It's also light gray in color so weapons might not even need to painted.

7. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

I'm really happy with WSF polished, there is still a bit of stepping but the surface quality is very close to injection molded.

Some pictures...

Cleaned and masked parts:

[​IMG]

Primed with thin, light grey automotive Primer. I like this picture because it helps show the details better than the white..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"For the other parts, I did NO SANDING, just prime and paint silver. Look at the difference between the old unpolished thighs (which were sanded) and the new ones....much better surface quality. There are still a few ridges, but that's because the plastic is a bit too thin (will be fixed on release)"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Gundamben831

Gundamben831 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    wow that beefed up midsection on HL look awesome.

9. User Name

User Name Micro-Khan

Ebay:
    Really nice work Echotransformer, im guessing you will release the full monty package on shapeways? i see it there. In the meantime sell me you extra leg extensions there getting in the way of those fine pictures.
    also whats the cocktail/mix for matching that green?

10. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Looks amazing! Can't wait until the super uber finalized version of your Herc add-on is released!

11. CreepyManHug

CreepyManHug Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to ordering from shapeways. I realise it depends on the material but how durable are the final products?

12. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WSF and all its color and polished variations are nigh-indestructible. It's a nylon based material and extremely resilient, with a little springiness to it to withstand impacts.

From there it gets more complicated... FUD has nearly perfect geometry, but is brittle and not really suitable to constant handling. I don't have much experience with Alumide, but I know it is more brittle than WSF, since it is simply the WSF plastic blended with some aluminum powder. Other materials like ceramic and steel act as expected.

13. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alumide is slightly softer and weaker than WSF. It seems to produce smoother results when polished, but unless you prefer the natural finish I think you're always better off with WSF.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I do want to say one word of warning for WSFP. I ordered a pair of Thuggers in it, painted them completely, then let them sit for a few months. After that time, I tried to move one of the legs and the paint had fused together in the ball joint/socket and broke the, admittedly already very thin, joint. So if you intend to order something with a ball joint, I recommend not painting the ball and or socket.

15. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    I've had great success using liquid greenstuff from GamesWorkshop, its a finishing putty, you put it on in thin watered down coats and sand it down. Shapeways parts come out baby butt smooth when finished, and I only order WSF for durability.

16. echotransformer

echotransformer Well-Known Member

Thanks, yes releasing really soon, just had some unexpected delays. There will be a Full Monty kit. :) 

The paint mix credit goes to GI Eddie, Tamiya x15 green with white, yellow and a fair amount of gold acryllics applied in thin coats. I have a new purple to test as well!

Well said!

17. CreepyManHug

CreepyManHug Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

18. butchrecon72

butchrecon72 Well-Known Member

You have any more info on this? I am interested. I have been sanding my ass off and its still pretty rough.

19. UltraMagnus2008

UltraMagnus2008 Autobot

News Credits:
    Specifly? Sanding the actual pieces isn't going to get you far. That's why you need a filler compound. I've been telling people about Liquid Greenstuff all year....just not getting it I guess

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    So.... many.... jokes!