Heavy/Scratch: Shapeways: Pyro Conversion Kit

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by javaco, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

Just got the Pyro kit in the mail today, already started some painting, using the botcon figure as the base, should be interesting

2. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    Make sure to post pics. Id love to see!

3. Hellscream85

Will do man, gotta say that it's nice to have some time to sit at the workbench for once, might be a while before pics though, gonna focus on getting this, the Impactor kit for Warpath, and a custom Roadhauler made from Grapple with your Voyager fists all done so I can do a couple Wreckers and mold-mates shots with my crappy cell phone camera, lol

4. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, to disassemble PRiD Magnus, you have to drill a hole into the side of his cab in order to push the big pin out, otherwise none of the screws are accessible for the chest and torso etc, preventing any parts swapping. Similarly, for BH Magnus you essentially have to break the blue part which locks into the grey torso at the back, due to how the pins are (even if he reassembles and holds together just fine afterwards). So conversion kits that involve swapping chest parts out on either mould are definitely not for beginners, who I want to try and make stuff accessible to.

I will see about finishing up some of the Magnus parts and mocking something up. Nonnef - I did look into doing that, and will probably have to for the crotch/waist of BH Magnus, but I want them to still be able to transform if possible, it's just how I want to design. ^^ At the absolute least, I want my own stuff to be like this Pyro kit, where the chestplate can be mounted in vehicle mode.

Didn't mean to threadjack, just wanted to share my experience with the Magnus moulds!

5. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    No worries lol

But if you're going to try and get the chest to work in vehicle mode, I would really think about getting to to transform too. Not just parts form. Mine has a few hinges, so no parts forming on this guy besides the guns

6. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Oh man, I had totally missed that, I didn't realise it was hinged... I didnt think I could get any more impressed with Pyro, but it just happened :p 

BH Magnus, the chest is easy enough to replace, it's just that it has to become the front of the truck cab so it has to fold back into that shape when it transforms. To be honest, the chest is one of the bits that needs changing the least, but I figured I wanted to try and go the whole hog. :p 

PRiD Magnus, not easy to do due to the aforementioned disassembly issue. >_< I should really ask Wheeljack (Ninoz) how he did his for his Pyro kit, way back when, in case there's a trick I am missing somehow.

7. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    yeah way back before i started 3d modeling, i made a chest plate for pyro out of styrene and used legos to clip it onto the figure. but that meant parts forming and once i learned 3d molding, i did not want that at all. so i had to make the hinge, it was a pain in the butt to make sure it was the right size to lay perfectly on top of the truck. but it fits perfectly, i was so proud hah.

i would definitely as him, he's a good friend of mine, really nice guy. I'm sure he will let you know how he did it.

8. Hellscream85

Actually I found it MUCH easier to simply cut the tab under the grill that locks the clear plastic ( windows) to the cab/roof of Prid
    Magnus, once you cut that out then it's pretty easy to separate those two pieces and gain access to the screws holding the chest.

9. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Interesting, I'm just looking at it now on my intact PriD Magnus and it still seems like the long pin that holds the clear part into the solid blue plastic hinge and the solid blue plastic exterior would lock it in place still, is it not actually long enough to do that?

10. Hellscream85

I'll take another look at my prid Magnus that is currently disassembled ( put that on the backburner when the Pyro and Impactor kits came in along with the new fist for Roadhauler) but I remember the roof separating very easily once I cut that tab out, I may have had to flex the plastic a little around the pin, but honestly I've had so much going on that it's kind of a blur, lol

11. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

If that's the case, it might just be the thing that means I finish my PriD Magnus-to-MtMtE Magnus conversion kit so please let me know. ;) 

12. Hellscream85

The pin isn't long enough to go through both sides, so if it's sticking out on one side a couple taps will give you plenty of clearance

13. glaug

glaug Well-Known Member

Oh hey, looking at it I see what you mean... the pin doesn't go anywhere near all the way through. Wish I had realised that before drilling a hole in my old Magnus! But that fills me with hope for disassembly/ease of replacing bits with custom parts, thanks man!

14. Hellscream85

Quick update on my end, Pyro is finished, Impactor is all done, just finishing up paint on Roadhauler, then I'll be all set for photo'.

This is mostly coming from me watching Masterforce the last couple days ( finally) but I think a very similar kit to this would make an excellent Cab (Hosehead) just mod the chest piece a bit to resemble the animation design (including faux wheels) add in the headmaster and a new gun, pure awesome. Naturally the new Gen. Deluxe BB/Goldfire could be similarly upgraded with a headmaster into Goh Shuta, or Nightbeat ( yes I know the Nightbeat figure was used to make Minerva in Masterforce, but to date all of Nightbeats media appearances use Siren's/Shuta's head and helmet, so I could see them using similar upgrade kits for BB/Goldfire)

15. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    awesome can't wait!
    yes while making changes to this would work for Cab, it would be a TON of work. i would essentially be making a whole new kit from scratch almost. and making headmaster is a whole figure to itself. would be a ton of work that i personally am not too interested in doing. but I'm sure someone else who is a fan might be interested

16. MASON2345

MASON2345 Well-Known Member

Time for your painted pics bro! show the world this finished awesome sauce

17. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    how about this? i actually just did this paint job the past week. made some rookie mistakes though, but I'm happy how it looks at least. still need to touch up a few places though

18. nonnef

nonnef Deceptibot

Mistakes or not, I like the way it looks!
    If only this mold was more common. =(

19. javaco

javaco javaco

News Credits:
    i agree. thats my main issue with the set. i have only sold about 2 or 3 because of that. i have an extra inferno though that i wouldn't mind selling, only issue is that he's got Grapples arms.

20. Hellscream85

Actually with the Voyager fists you made, and some slight modification, the Grapple arms aren't that bad, work pretty well on my Roadhauler ( though I only did one fist)