Customs: Shapeways Plastic Advice?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Torque, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Hey, so I've decided toget since he.was from shapeways to try to change some figures, but on certain ones it recommends certain plastics. Which is great. Except they give the technical names, where shapeways only gives general description. I'm looking specifically at the head for Spinister to make my tfcc one look cooler, but don't know if I should get black plastic and paint the color bits in, or a higher quality [?] And paint the whole thing. To note, I have little faith in my painting abilities lol

2. Chaos Wolf

Chaos Wolf Well-Known Member

Higher Quality is almost certainly the right choice if you can reasonably afford it. As mentioned in another thread, the base Shapeways material (including the "dyed" ones such as the black plastic youre eyeing.) Is a plastic powder that is melted into shape. It doesn't melt 100%, so no matter how much you try to sand it and clean it. it'll yield the same sandy texture. Fun fact, if you sand away at the dyed plastic, it goes straight to gritty standard, sans color.

3. Ruizu1990

Ruizu1990 dark energon is one hell of a drug

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I avoid WSF (the white nylon stuff) and any of its derivatives. It has a sandpaper-y finish and just looks crap compared to plastic.

I like FUD because it has a smoother service and captures detail better.