Heavy/Scratch: shapeways - cybertron leobreaker savage claw mode "embedded" hand upgrade

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by chroma23, Nov 7, 2020.

1. chroma23

chroma23 Well-Known Douchebag

Facebook:
    COMPLETE AND AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT MY SHAPEWAYS STORE

i know this idea of "making your own savage claw hand because hastak cheaped out" is old and dated, and i am fully aware that for the past 15+ years lots of people have attempted to make their own savage claw hand. however, from all the searches i have made online, all i see are people simply attaching a unicron hand and call it a day, which is of course not screen-accurate, and definitely not something i would settle for. i know there are some who did a more screen-accurate "embedded" look but at the cost of ripping the toy apart and permanently damaging it. i have yet to see a custom solution where the hand looks or feels embedded into the "mass" of the toy, and at the same time not permanently damage the toy in any way

to be clear, i am not bashing the previous leobreaker custom artists; the toy is 15 years old and 3d-printing or even 3rd party companies weren't as common back then as they are today. it's just that nobody gave thought of a more proper upgrade for leobreaker the whole time

i have been wanting to tackle this for ages, but never had leobreaker (sold my galvatron+nemesis breaker combo ages ago before i got into 3d printing) until earlier this year when i decided to buy the toy again just to tackle on this project. admittedly i am very late to the party, but better late than never i guess

to make the hand attachment feel more screen-accurate and embedded, i cannot simply extend a full hand out of the toy like others have done; i can only extend fingers from the toy and nothing more (no palms or wrist)

The hand is "almost" fully articulated: the 4 fingers can bend like a real finger and they are connected via ball joints so you can spread them or clench them, and the thumb has similar (but slightly restricted) articulation as well. the upgrade kit only comes with one hand, but you can swap this hand from right-to-left on the fly by simply taking the thumb piece and flip it the other way around and everything else is perfectly symmetrical, similar to hastak's combiner wars hands.

size of the hand is about the size of a human child's, much bigger than titan class figures such as metroplex or fortmax. as such, the hand is capable of grabbing small "real-life objects" such as a pen or an utensil etc. i can say with confidence that this is arguably the biggest hand made for a commercially available transformers toy (not counting oversized KO's). if you flip the bird, it will be the best biggest bird you can flip from a transformers toy; i'm dead serious.

the cyber key claw gimmick functions just fine. it can now move independently from the arm/hand and you can adjust the tilt and angle depending on the pose you want to achieve. as an optional part, you can purchase claw extensions to augment the claw to make them look longer to match the now bigger hand.

the hand upgrade can also be transformed (or re-assembled) to form shoulder cannons for leobreaker in robot mode and beast mode.

needless to say, this upgrade will also work on nemesis breaker, leo prime, razorclaw or anything that shares the same leobreaker toy mold

INSTRUCTION VIDEO (IN 4K ULTRA HD) HERE (please turn on CC/subtitles):

The hand upgrade kit is available in gray only, and you should not need to apply any paint as it blends with the toy pretty well as-is.

the claw extensions, however, are available in only white or gray, and which color you pick will depend on which toy/repaint you have.

if you have nemesis breaker or a repaint whose claw color is gray, ORDER GRAY AND ENJOY IT AS-IS
    if you have leobreaker or a repaint whose claw color is NOT gray, ORDER WHITE AND PAINT IT YOURSELF

LINKS TO PRODUCT PAGES:

hand upgrade kit only: Cybertron Savage Claw Articulated Hand Upgrade by chromahands on Shapeways
    claw extensions only: Cybertron Savage Claw Extension by chromahands on Shapeways

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
    • Like Like x 30
  2. chroma23

Facebook:
    Final pics of Optimus Prime in Savage Claw Mode - with painted claw extensions

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 25
  3. chroma23

Facebook:
    Final pics of Megatron/Galvatron in Savage Claw Mode - this will have to wait until i order a pair of claw extensions in gray. This won't come until Jan/Feb 2021 and maybe someone has already ordered it before i do

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 17
  4. chroma23

Facebook:
    reserved "just in case"

• Like Like x 1
  5. BattleGurijiba

BattleGurijiba One Radical Dudicus

Wow this is really nice! Transformers Cybertron is a great show and this is a great custom! The hand looks pretty accurate and is fully articulated. Well done!

• Like Like x 2
  6. blastpak

blastpak Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pfft, no! You're extending the life of something, I'm currently designing paws for CW Skylynx because ER Skylynx is too big for me as well as making weapon accessories.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    oh hot damn! this is my jungle jam! i can't wait to see where this goes

• Like Like x 1
  8. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Unfortunately I never got Leobreaker (I did get Nemesis Breaker though for Galvatron), but I’m still trying to track down a Universe Leo Prime and if I do I’ll consider this

9. chroma23

Facebook:
    the hand works with nemesis breaker as well (or any leobreaker mold)

i will post pics of nemesis breaker + galvatron combo with the hand upgrade tomorrow

• Like Like x 2
  10. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can either figure wield both? Seems like it be too heavy for both to be on.

11. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's beautiful.

12. chroma23

Facebook:
    do an internet search and im sure there are photos of people trying to attach leobreaker on both sides; it can be done for both optimus and megatron. for megatron especially, stability is actually better than having only 1 arm, since everything is now in equilibrium

13. skywarpD26

skywarpD26 Well-Known Member

This is so epic, and I cant wait to see it complete with the claws

14. chroma23

Facebook:
    post #3 updated with galvatron + nemesis breaker savage claw hand

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  15. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I meant with the new giant hands. Figured the extra weight might make it difficult for one or both figures.

Megatron with the improved Nemesis Breaker hand looks sweet.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  16. chroma23

Facebook:
    the new giant hand upgrade by itself only weighs around 30 grams
    in contrast, the 2 AAA batteries that you put in for leobreaker's sound effects weight about 20-25 grams, heavier if you use rechargeable ones

i'd say dont worry too much about it as it adds negligible weight to the already heavy leobreaker. if the toy tips over, it will likely be because you did not balance the toy properly, and not because of the additional hand upgrade or the additional batteries you inserted into leobreaker

nevertheless, i should have another set of hands (along with my first version for claw integration) coming in from shapeways that should arrive next week hopefully. will post 2-handed pics when that happens

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Friend Of 2ndChanceToys

News Credits:
    Cannot wait for this to be released. I’m gonna use this for my universe Leo prime

• Like Like x 1
  18. nelix510

nelix510 Well-Known Member

Xcellent.

19. chroma23

Facebook:
    still WIP

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  20. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    Damn this looks great! I’ve been waiting for someone to do this since the original show aired. thanks