Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    You could just use the edit button....

I'm kinda partial to the white nine tail foxes myself. But all those mystical animals were neat. While the fight scenes were ok for what they were, I really wish they could get the legendary fight choreographer Yuen Woo-Ping if they really want to do some good martial arts fight scenes. If you've seen movies where he's done the fight scenes, you'll know what I mean. I really feel Yuen Woo Ping would have been able to bring the fight scenes up a few notches. Hell, they got a bunch of well known Hong Kong actors in there. And I'm not just talking about Tony Leung, and Michelle Yeoh. They had Yuen Wah (as Guong Bo), who has a large history of films going back to where he was in films with Bruce Lee. Wah Yuen - IMDb , Fala Chen who I've seen in a lot of Hong Kong TV shows. Andy Le who's part of the YouTube channel Martial Club. Speaking of him, kinda sucks he got taken out like that. But oh well.

I loved how they used Tai Chi as the "art" that the villagers of Ta Lo practiced. Using the trope of a man desperate to find his love again, which in turn unleashes what shouldn't be was used ok too. I guess for the film, it gave Wenwu his motivation. Unfortunately
    that led to his demise. But at least he saved Shang, and gave him the rings before he died. As much as people might not have liked how he went out, I understood why they made him go out like that. He did say he wanted Shang to show him that he was powerful enough to wield the rings, and Shang did. But he was still overcome by grief and desperately wanted his wife back. So much so, he lost all sight of what was important, and what was right. I don't know how the comic books portrayed Wenwu, but this is the only iteration of him that I know. So I'll go with it.

Loved seeing Trevor again. Totally did not expect it :lol  Overall I think I'd have to give this a 7/10 on it's initial viewing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Daelo88

Daelo88 Banned

I would love if Wenwu got a Disney+ series chronicling how he got the rings and ruled through the centuries.

• Like Like x 1
  3. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nah. D+ slice of life showing him living peacefully with his family playing DDR

4. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a minor character from Black Widow in a blink and you miss it background shot where there's a TON going on fighting a blink and you miss it nod to Iron Man 3. More easter eggs than actual cameos or tie-ins.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    $84m in america for shang chi!

• Like Like x 8
  6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not bad in the middle of a pandemic...

7. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it's the best September opening ever. Anyone who's been predicting Marvel fatigue doesn't know what they're talking about.

• Like Like x 2
  8. dinobot1

dinobot1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    “It” opened with a 123 million dollars back in 2017, but that was pre-pandemic. As to your second thought, it’s looking like the top four domestic movies this year will be Marvel. Marvel fatigue is looking to just be a myth for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 2
  9. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I wonder if the Ten Rings from IM1 was a rogue offshoot. Some random local TR leader that got too ambitious for his own good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

I quite like that headcanon, it could still however just be a group wanting the same infamy as the TR, so a copycat to say the least.

11. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    7/10. was pleasantly surprised how little "cgi blue energy wave accompanied by boom noise" or "every character is a quippy funny guy!!" moments there were. the extravagance in the way the characters used the rings was held back enough they weren't overdone and the bulk of the typical marvel humor went to awkwafina, and even hers weren't as phoned in as a lot of past marvel movies' felt.

12. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    That was pretty good. The action was really cool and easy to follow, the music was great, and the core drama was pretty good.

That said, Shang-Chi himself wasn’t too interesting. Wenwu is honestly a great Marvel antagonist. He’s not as tragic as Kilmonger or as charismatic and awesome as Thanos, but he earns his place in an upper tier of MCU antagonists. I was actually very impressed watching him in the opening battling in the forest, that was such a beautiful scene. Awkwafina was also not super annoying like she usually comes off as.

I don’t feel like Shang-Chi himself gets much of an arc. He has a moment where he resolved to kill his father, and ultimately tries, but it’s not really expanded upon. I got more of something out of the sister and the father. It’s kind of annoying to have the old trope of dead wife/mother motivating the plot, too. I knew the moment the narrator introduced herself as a mother and wife she was probably cooked. I would’ve loved actually seeing her reject the father as opposed to Shang-Chi telling him.

Trevor being back as a supporting character was funny and thankfully he didn’t overstay his welcome.

The midcredits scene was interesting. Did they send a signal to the Vok? Crazy to see Bruce as a human still with the sling. Carol also came across better here than either previous appearance. And Wong! My man Wong has a whole secret life we don’t know about. Moonlighting in fight rings, singing karaoke, still working alongside the Avengers. Dude is crazy.

Overall I’m satisfied. This was the first movie I’ve seen since the pandemic started and I chose a good one.

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

So I saw the film for myself, and I liked it.

So, I should probably start with my history on the character, I came in with zero expectations. I don't know who Shang-Chi is besides some cameos and appearances in video games, I never read a comic with him in it and I never seen any piece of media with him in it. So I had zero expectations of this film, besides the trailers I saw.

One thing I'll like to say, if this is your first MCU movie, than you don't need to see any prior movies in this series. You can jump in here no problem.

Shang-Chi's beginning has a decent start, as it goes on, nothing much happens, the bus fight was cool, and the fights in general were cool. So I'll go into spoiler territory for this.

So, I enjoyed the Mandrian. His redemption arc with good at the ending. Though, a part of me wishes he could of fought Iron Man like in the comics.

Awkwafina's character was kinda annoying at the beginning and middle, as she felt like a bumbling sidekick who only existed to crack jokes (I don't recall moments when the movie made me laugh.) Though, I think she improved towards the ending.

Seeing cameos from characters like Wong, the Abomination, Bruce Banner and Captain Marvel was sweet. And the appearance of the Mandrian from Iron Man 3 shocked me, as I would of thought they were going to ignore that subplot, but no, it's continued. Pretty neat.

I kept asking my dad, if the dragons were Fin Fang Foom, though he never appeared. Speaking of the dragons, the final fight was awesome, as it was action we never seen in a Marvel movie.

Exploring parts Chinese Culture was wonderful, with all the creatures and beautiful imagery.

Though, I didn't remember much about this movie torwards the end. If you seen this movie, than you see most of the Marvel films. A fun ride, but another Marvel movie 6/10. See it for yourself to make an opinion. I thought it was better than Black Panther.

14. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who found Awkwafina annoying. Her whole performance in the beginning of the movie reminded me of her character in the latest Jumanji film. Like, I get it...she's a comedian. But if she keeps this kind of acting up, I fear she's going to get type casted....which is a shame because towards the middle and end of the movie, I actually enjoyed her performance. I just hope screenwriters and directors will do her some justice here and put her in parts that really test if not bring out her abilities more.[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 4
  15. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    I was also annoyed at how much heavy handed “as you know” lines Katy had. We’re best friends, we’ve been friends for ten years.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Legacy TFA enjoyer

News Credits:
  17. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

Slim pickings.

18. User_93049

News Credits:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I have been invited to watch Shang-Chi for a third time next weekend. I can't say no.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Just got back from it and it was good, but it was a Marvel movie.

The only scene I really didn't like was when
    the little hairy beast thing found Trevor "dead" and Trevor yelled at it. It completely removed all of the tension from the fight.

The fight choreography was solid for the most part and the camera work was outstanding for the fight on the bus and on the building in Macau.

20. User_93049

News Credits:
    [​IMG]fuck all these youtubers[​IMG]

• Like Like x 16