Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings - Movie Discussion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by eagc7, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    Razorfist drives an Automatic.

2. Daelo88

Daelo88 Well-Known Member

I might have missed it but did the rings give Wenwu superhuman powers? The trailer showed the scene where he broke the table where the gangsters were sitting and he tossed a couple around. I can't tell if it's the impact of the rings on objects or it's the bearer.

3. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Steering wheel was on the correct side for someone who was missing his right arm, so it's within the realm of realism.

4. Wrecker217

News Credits:
    they help you punch and kick really hard to the point of breaking apart a rock wall that's several meters tall along with creating forcefields.

5. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Essentially, the same Chi/force amplification seen constantly throughout martial arts fantasy history, on steroids.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Daelo88

Daelo88 Well-Known Member

That's what I'm saying, the rings could be the one making contact but I don't recall him like lick up a dude with his bare hands or throw him. I think was punching the wall with the rings, the should have shown some closeups of him punching and kicking.

Also the forcefield was him whipping the rings around and not just a forcefield was formed without him moving his arms around.

I'm just wondering is Shang Chi gonna be one of the most OP characters going forward which I don't mind at all.

9. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku Why did I un-ironically call myself an otaku?

Instagram:
    Saw it today, loved it! The climax does seem a little too long, but the spectacle alone makes up for it. Honestly I don’t really have any major complaints, just a few nitpicks.
    I feel line Deathdealer wasn’t used at all except for one scene, but between Razorfist, Wenmu, and the creatures, I can see why they didn’t want anymore antagonists in the film. Speaking of, wished they didn’t kill off Wenmu so quick. He never got to verbally express how he felt being tricked. Granted, show don’t tell, but I would’ve loved to hear him say something to his kids before dying. Also, he really couldn’t have used the rings to escape it’s grip? But that’s nitpicks, still a killer 3rd act.

If there’s one thing I wasn’t expecting, it’s that a character stayed in the film way longer than I would’ve guessed, although we don’t really see what happens after if I’m not mistaken.

Overall, a LOT to love in this film. Amazing fights, great camera work, an enjoyable and endearing cast, themes that worked, a great soundtrack, and honestly just a really nice introduction to the character of Shang-Chi and his world. Really excited for what’s next, and major props to Simu.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    awesome movie. I dont know anything about the shang chi universe but did the big bad have anything to do with the what if episode this week? seemed too convient of timing with all the soul sucking/absorbtions.

if not I guess just a convenient red herring with all the wong cameos as well.

11. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Morris and Trevor spin-off when?

• Like Like x 4
  12. Wrecker217

News Credits:
    I'm willing to bet there's going to be a Ten Rings D+ series.

13. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    One of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in a while.

9/10

• Like Like x 1
  14. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    saw it last night and loved it! I want to see it again as our theater was damaged during the tropical storm that blew through here and our showing had a bunch of technical issues where we lost 10 minutes of video and audio.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wrecker217

News Credits:
    I'm seeing it again today.

16. TF Hot Rod

TF Hot Rod Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Damn, that sucks I also enjoyed it the action was the best of phase 4 easily by having none of that handheld quick cut shakey stuff in it, and best action of the MCU.

My screening also had technical problems after the first post-credit scene during the credits toward the end credits scene the audio cut out for like 2-3 seconds in the middle of the credits and them turned off which sucked and everyone was bummed out about so I had to look it up on YT luckily someone uploaded it and it was while important not as important as the first credit scene.
    So happy Carol's got her long hair back, I did not like her hair in Endgame (I know what they were trying to do but I just don't think it translated well from comic to the movie. Also, Bruce is back in his human form curious to see how it's explained in She-Hulk
    First time I've been at a screening and technical problems like that happened (praying it doesn't happen again and definitely not for NWH or The Batman) also Wong is great as always.
    Screenshot 2021-09-04 5.28.30 PM.png

But again would rather have it cut out there that during the actual movie could have done without some of the jokes but really enjoyed its best movie of phase 4 easily (IMO like BW more than I thought I would but still nothing special like I thought) and loved Wenwu and Simun Lu as Shang Chi and can't wait for more from Shang Chi

• Like Like x 2
  17. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Haunting Your Nightmares in HD

Betting on the Makluan. The Great Protector decidedly isn't Fin Fang Foom. The movie's version of the Dweller-in-Darkness might have been inspired by Foom, though. Either way, I'm betting on the space dragons.

• Like Like x 2
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Sir Ben Kingsley Reflects On How The Potential Cultural Impact Of SHANG-CHI Is Reminiscent Of GANDHI

"When you hear Destin describe the film, you know that the motives behind telling this story are pure, crystal clear, lucid, pure motives.

They are life-enhancing and they’re not patronizing because they do introduce us, in a beautiful way to memory, ancestry, loss, and families torn apart and reunited and reconfigured. This is from Destin’s heart and Kevin’s heart and the writer’s heart. And if your motives are pure as a storyteller, the angels will come to assist you with that story and to quote a great author, whom I admire greatly, 'To tell a story is to heal.'

I, as an actor, Trevor, of course, is a Shakespearean actor and he finds himself transported into a completely exotic environment, but he survives. And thanks to the welcome that Kevin and Destin and my beautiful colleagues gave me, I have done seventeen out of Shakespeare’s whole canon of plays. So, I’m sort of a Shakespearean actor, but as soon as I arrived on set, the fact that my colleagues were from a different culture was immaterial. Completely immaterial and irrelevant.

We are actors together. We live on empathy and transformation, and this is our currency. All the rest is irrelevant and if we can demonstrate that energy, I think it will ultimately be soothing and healing and people will realize there’s very little difference in storytelling, and very little difference in our hearts."

Ben Kingsley took a joke character and made it a welcome part of this film.

• Like Like x 6
  19. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

Easily places among my top 5 MCU movies. I didn't expect it to be perfect--and it wasn't, particularly the third act--but I still thought it was fantastic overall.

Fun fact: As with many (overused) tropes, Shang-Chi was supposed to have a "long-lost" half-brother named Ja-Fo that was going to appear as a rival to inherit the ten rings. This storyline was ultimately scrapped from the final cut of the movie, however, I heard they're planning on him being a major antagonist in the sequel.

[​IMG]

;) 

• Like Like x 1
  20. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Without spoilers, can someone confirm whether or not there is anything in this movie that I wouldn’t get due to not having seen Black Widow? I’m seeing tomorrow but I haven’t coughed up the money for Black Widow.