Shane McCarthy talks about Drift

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shadowbreaker, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    You forgot the parts where he said the Autobots were no better than the Decepticons, and the part where he told the Autobots maybe they deserved to be stuck on the ruined Cybertron because they're no better than Decepticons.

Hell, in McCarthy's blog post he himself admits he created Drift to be this shining example of morality that all other jerkish Decepticon-esque Autobots should totally aspire to be like.

Don't hold your breath. The closest thing to character development that happened in AHM was Andy Reid getting killed.
    And considering his idea of how to write a character he's a big fan of is to remove everything that made the character that character (see: The Riddler), I've got no hope whatsoever for this book.

Shane McCarthy is right up there with guys like Rob Liefeld as one of the sorriest excuses for a comic book writer there's ever been.

2. Satanatron

Satanatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to agree there the whole infiltration, escalation and all the other -ations were awesome.

Then along came All Hail Megatron and ruined it for me.

3. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

Considering the fact that his reply to a criticism is some smart-assed snark, I strongly doubt it.

Might be worth a torrent, though.

4. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Drift type of character isnt new. I mean GI Joe had Mercer, an ex Cobra viper. I dont see the hate. I love new characters and its been a long time since G1 had anything new that wasnt a repaint. And I hope this encourages more new characters and new designs for NEW TOYS. I dont really care about characters, I just want new toys. and Drift is probably one of the best deluxe figures we've had since...... i dunno ever. So if McCarthy made it possible for me to have a cool Drift toy, more power to him. Make more please.

5. Detour

Detour TFWiki.net, use it!

News Credits:
    Yeah? Except Mercer is still a giant thuggish asshole. Basically the only reason the Joes let him on the team is because of his inside knowledge of Cobra operations.

Drift is an ex-Con that somehow because a much better person than the Autobots, who McCarthy claims are no better than Decepticons in this continuity.

Your analogy fails in every possible way.

So, buy new toys. If Drift hadn't existed, we just might have gotten an even better Deluxe in his stead.
    Either way, Blurr is way better than Drift.

6. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

I have no problem with Drift. I DO have with a problem with the way he was brought in though.

I know fans are passionate but it's sort of impractical to be so impulsive about it if you know what I mean.

7. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    McCarthy's response probably made that guy's day.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

What? Fewer than 100 posts of fan backlash devoted to a Drift news item?

Honestly, every single earnest, forthright, emphatic argument that gets made against Drift actually makes me like the character more. :D 

Whether he was intended as such or not, Drift really demonstrates that the only thing worse than a fanboy-oriented "mary sue" character... is a fanboy with a chip on his shoulder.

I'd rather see new Transformer characters introduced, than see old venerable characters misused and abused. You can gripe about Drift all day, but I'll take him and his mini-series over Costa's mangled portrayal of Onslaught or Optimus (or Spike for that matter) any time.

Yeah, but they already have the Dinobots. :) 

That's not actually what he says... but putting an ambivalent spin on the Aubobots is a good idea, I would say.

As for Drift, nobody preaches louder than a converted sinner. The more you have to repent for, the more fervent you become. I think it's a great story hook to have a reformed Decepticon as a sort of spiritual guide. And honestly, I can't think of any existing characters who would fit the bill.

And if anyone brings up Carnivac and f***in' Catilla, forget it. Pretenders don't count. Ever. Bludgeon and Thunderwing get enough attention as it is! :lol 

Not necessarily true. Drift is a better figure than many of the classics we've gotten... and for what it's worth, a pretty unique design. There aren't many TF cars with as dramatic an "anime" aesthetic, and it works.

And while I love the guns, I don't think the mold is a good fit for Blurr at all. Too bulky. Doesn't look like a runner at all. The head is also too big.

zmog

9. Kungfu Dinobot

Kungfu Dinobot Well-Known Member

And the one thing worse than a fanboy with a chip on his shoulder is a fanboy with a chip on his shoulder that gets to run the official fiction.

10. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I'd like to say I like Drift's first design. Sure, more samurai-ish, but he had some nice beam swords.

But again, we have the exact same argument about Drift now. We get it, a bunch of you don't like him. But that doesn't mean you should go around, and moan about how "he's a Mary Sue," or "He's Shane McCarthy's Canon Sue," or crap like that. I kinda wish that this was released sooner, though, to dampen the whining a lot.

11. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Yeah, lots of people love the toy, but hardly stop to think that we might've got an original mold Blurr or Wheeljack instead.

But then I also think the Drift mold is better than some of the upcoming molds we are getting anyway, like Straxxus, WFC Megatron and Thunderwing.

My main issue with it was when they gave him a mold ahead of known popular Autobot characters like Jazz, Wheeljack and Springer. Now I think those probably will get their own molds in due course, but between Jazz, Red Alert, and the possibility of Wheeljack, it seems like too many white sportscars for one line to see any need for Drift.

12. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Horrible character, fabulous toy. That's about all I got.

13. Airspeed

Airspeed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am looking forward to this comic , issue 1 is out on the 15th right ?

14. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

See, this is the linchpin in the whole Drift debate... we get DOZENS of lame, half-baked, utterly pointless additions to the TF canon every year. Nobody bats an eye. But Drift appears in the comics as a new character, and he's suddenly the antichrist?

The mere fact that a Drift toy exists means that some Classics figure got shafted? We've gotten tons of lame toys and lamer characters in recent lines (never mind the fact that the movie line and CHUG have crossed over a bit lately).

Me personally, I'm going to start boycotting... Acidstorm and Dropshot... and uh, Treadshot. And maybe Hardhead while I'm at it, because there are already plenty of over-eager, hot-tempered delinquints in the Autobots, so his role could easily have been handed to an earlier, more deserving character. Stupid Headmasters. That whole line was just a bunch of Mary Sue characters for Hasbro's copywriters! :rolleyes: 

zmog

15. Sizzle

Sizzle Sparkabot

Boycotting a seeker repaint? Bite your tongue!

16. CorporateZombie

CorporateZombie Great Odin's Raven

Listing his Japanese influence as something to hate Drift for confuses me. I mean we have characters such as Banzaitron and Bludgeon. I mean come on it's in the name...Banzaitron and Bludgeon is a samurai with a spooky skull for a face. Hate him for other reasons, yeah that's fine (I don't understand the being shoved down our throats argument ) but really? Really.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Did it ever occur to you that those people may also dislike Banzaitron and Bludgeon?

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Yeah, but how many homages, or molds did those characters had over time? Personally I think obscure characters should get toys too. After all the universe of Transformers is not limited to those who were on the Ark and the Nemesis.

19. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

If they do dislike those two then singling out Drift is just made more questionable.

20. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    Drift is cool. Cool in the comic and cool as a toy. \m/