Shane McCarthy talks about Drift

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Shadowbreaker, Aug 31, 2010.

1. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You guys never cease to amaze me how worked up you get about this stupid character. Claiming he gets "shoved down your throats"? Show some evidence of it, he had one spotlight and a few minor appearances. Yet when Last Stand of the Wreckers comes out, you guys go nuts over crappy characters like Rotorstorm and Guzzle. Whatever, find something else to do with your time. I hope they make a zillion drift repaints and give him his own ongoing just to piss you off

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Unicron Backer #10 Veteran

News Credits:
    :lol 

3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    The biggest misgiving many people have is that he's a new character when an underused old one could have taken his place instead.

Which is also why we got excited over Rotorstorm and Guzzle - because they were an example of the underused characters that we wanted. Nobody would likely have said they wanted Rotorstorm, Pyro, Guzzle and Ironfist specifically to appear in modern comics if they were asked before the Wreckers though. Any underused character would have done really.

Had those underused characters have been replaced by someone completely new then we wouldn't have cared as much about them.

4. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think Shane McCarthy just made me like him.

5. Satanatron

Satanatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree.

I really don't get the hate towards this character. Is not like most fan could have made a better character.

Go look for fan created characters at deviantart.com for fan created characters.

They all have freaking swords and know kung-fu and are mysterious with some dark past. If you ask me Shane is just as a fan as regular person and he got his wish. His own character toy. So is kind of jealousy I think.

On a side note. I like that some people hate the character or are not familiar with it here in Puerto Rico. I actually got him on my first hunt to Wal-Mart and I most say his a neat awesome toy. In fact he was the only generations character on the shelves.

6. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I know right? I mean, look at everything he's done since he first appeared! He stood in the background, he had a spotlight issue, he stood in the background and he stood in the background. Talk about shoving him down our throats.

HA! That's funny.

Seriously people, if you want to get at a Mary Sue, then go read issue 8 of the ongoing. There's Mary, not Drift.

7. Satanatron

Satanatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Hilarious!

8. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    I don't understand the dam hate either. He hasn't done a damn thing, to warrant damn hate. With the exception of his own Spotlight, has he said no more than probably a four sentences within each of his appearances.

Nothing world breaking, nothing universe shattering.....just standing there.

Did Bulkhead get this amount of flak when he was part of the main cast in Animated? Or Impactor back in the day?

9. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    this.

really don't get how people can ignore the wealth of original characters that have appeared in tf comics over the years. Hell Impactor (who everyone loves and craves a toy of) was introduced as a 'badass' very much like drift. Yeah there's loads of toys that COULD have been used, but why not save them for when someone with their character is needed. Seems like Shane had particular spot he wanted to fill. Who could really have been used instead?

10. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Ha. You may be right.
    But I think the bigger part of it all is that Drift's a new character that got shoved into the "G1" universe. Like Bass said, a lot of fans probably would have rather seen a more obscure character in Drift's place, and get a totally rad fan wank.
    So basically, what fan's are really angry about has less to do with his fiction, and more to do with that fact he's a new "G1" character.

Though the criticism of the Drift character being unoriginal, I can kind of agree with.
    The McCarthy rage is completely pointless and silly.

11. Foster

News Credits:
    Is McCarthy writing the Drift mini?

12. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

^
    I believe so. It is his despicable character after all.

13. Foster

News Credits:
    You're right. Hopefully he can make a four-issue story less boring and thin than the 16-issue fanfic snorefest All Hail Megatron.

14. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    For Impactor to have garnered the same kind of hate Drift got, it would have gone like this on each contents page.

"TEN ISSUES TO GO UNTIL IMPACTOR MAKES HIS GLORIOUS DEBUT!! DON'T MISS OUT!"

"NINE ISSUES TO GO UNTIL IMPACTOR MAKES HIS GLORIOUS DEBUT!! YOU BETTER BE THERE!"

"EIGHT ISSUES TO GO UNTIL IMPACTOR MAKES HIS GLORIOUS DEBUT!! YOU'RE GONNA BE AMAZED!!

And so on until he appears. With nothing different to the comic we actually got with Impactor's first appearance. By the time the readers get to see him, they'll be sick of how much he was talked about in the months leading up to his first appearance.

15. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    It smells like 2008 in here

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Doesn't it just.
    Mary Sue? Yes. Taking the limelight from more established characters? Partially.
    Rammed down your throats at every possible opportunity?
    I think not.
    Seriously, people - if you don't like Drift, don't buy the mini.
    And AHM was pants, yes, but it's also over. McCarthy isn't writing everything, so if you want to avoid his work and still pick up current TF comics it's easy enough to do.
    And at least we got a pretty bloody good Deluxe out of it.

17. Foster

News Credits:
    The ongoing has NOT been any better, from the previews I've seen and the reviews I've read.

The toy? Whole other topic and wholly more positive opinion.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I've read the first 4 or 5 issues, and it seems a lot better written than AHM at least. I don't know if it goes downhill from there though.
    It's still directly related to Drift's existence, though; which wouldn't have happened if McCarthy hadn't created his own character rather than pushing an existing one. Point being - at least something good came out of it all. ;) 

19. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I don't remember Drift being hyped like that at all....in fact, he never was hyped in the comics, at least not from what I can tell. Hell, I learned about him here. When he appeared in AHM he showed up with Kup's crew, helped take out some of the swarm and.......that's it. OH, he also got a line at the end of the main story.

20. Foster

News Credits:
    Not every new character has had the benefit of a spectacular Guido Guidi design though.

It was in the contents pages as stated, and also the IDW staff blogs and the Previews blurbs. Hamfisted PR often backfires.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010