SG Goldbug

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Jun 22, 2021.

1. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Again, I never made the claim one way or the other, that was you. In any case, it's now settled, it was done for creative reasons, not because there was some sort of ''no use'' policy on Nerf Megs.

2. NexMix

NexMix Gives Cybertron too much credit

I've been getting mixed signals from people, are the SG figures going to be available in America without the comics in the future? I've heard a lot of contradictory statements and I can't find a source that would definitively say what's happening.

3. Oniconvoy

Oniconvoy The Other Black Repaint

News Credits:
    They’re not

• Like Like x 2
  4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The SG figures in America are pulse exclusive and will not be sold without the comics. The comics however will be sold without the figures. This will not change.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

Youre stating that as fact when you dont know. Are you personal friends with Brian Savage, Arron Archer, or anybody else that can confirm or deny that ? Until you do dont pass off your "creative reasons" theory as fact. (Just like youre telling me not to pass my "corporate reasons" theory as fact) Bottom like, I think the Galvy-Cyber-Megs mold was a horrible choice but you really dig it. All im doing is offering a POSSIBILITY as to why they may have went with that mold. I get that some Funpub fans have a huge attachment to the repurposing of UT molds and are super pissed Hasbro is flushing it down the toilet and rebooting SG. But you gotta understand there are a good amount of people on my side that thought the repurposing was stupid and are glad its not necessary in 2021. Obviously Hasbro weighed in and felt that Megatron would be better as himself than as Galvatron. They also felt Goldbug would be better as a traditional minibot than as some kind of grown up Hot Shot type body. Unlike the Bumblebee movie, this new Shattered Glass continuity and toy line is 100% reboot. They threw in a few easter eggs for the Funpub continuity's fans, but Hasbro seems to be more interested into bringing Shattered Glass into a more mainstream G1 based franchise. That means no more Unicron Trilogy repurposing. Love it or hate it, it is what it is.

6. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    FunPub created the concept of Shattered Glass, they get to dictate what is and what isn't acceptable for their own continuity. I have yet to read a comment from a Shattered Glass fan who is super pissed about Hasbro "flushing the repurposing of Unicron Trilogy molds down the toilet" - mainly because there are no modern new Unicron Trilogy characters created other than a few random repaints here and there.

I will guess that they used Megatron instead of Galvatron as its a new reboot and Optimus Prime needs a Megatron to fight. And Goldbug using the Cliffjumper mold is likely because Volkswagen have said they don't want their brand associated with evil characters; possibly only Bumblebee and no other character.

We will see who will appear in the Shards comic book when its revealed. More characters than the seven Hasbro are releasing will appear in the book. I wouldn't be surprised if we do see some FunPub designs for SG characters will be shown in the comic book.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This isn't funpubs continuity, what they did doesn't really matter

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Still exists. Hasbro have already shown they are actively taking inspiration and ideas from FunPub's Shattered Glass.

Although its not an exact homage, the similarities are obvious. FunPub's Shattered Glass continuity matters to Hasbro.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Pete, who worked for FP at the time and worked on SG Megatron has already said in this thread that they didn’t use Nerf Megatron because it wouldn’t look right when they were all in vehicle mode together.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Petes Robot Convention

Petes Robot Convention Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Similar but different. Just like nearly every G1 inspired line since 1984 lol. I mean. This isn’t some new phenomenon. There will be plenty of nods I am sure with updates as well. Again, par for the course.

The original SG has its place. The Animated its place. And now the IDW version will have its as well.

I’m looking forward to the SG Netflix series, the SG manga, the SG love action films, and the SG ride at universal. (Yes, totally kidding though an episode of a cartoon series at some point would be awesome.)

• Like Like x 4
  11. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I also fully expect the upcoming Shattered Glass Jetfire to homage the Dark Skyfire toy which FunPub repurposed as Shattered Glass Jetfire.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They should reverse the colors. Purple with Black Highlights.

180px-SGJetfireLitho.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jeddostotle7

Jeddostotle7 Well-Known "Member"

did you literally not fully read the post you replied to

which quoted a post in this very thread by Pete Sinclair, one of the guys who ran BotCon, stating clearly that it was purely for creative reasons

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  14. Rated X

Rated X Well-Known Member

Well I didnt catch that post because I am just replying to alerts. Thats a fair answer. Thanks for letting me know. I cant say I agree with their decision though. Imagine if they had said that about Megatron's gun mode back in 1984 ? And then if you go by that rationale, they totally flip flopped with Soundwave by having him ditch his repurposed Ironhide mold for his G1 cassette player mode. Granted, that was to sell a G1 set. But selling toys counts as a "corporate decision" which isnt really relevant to the fiction unless they (Funpub) want it to be. Just like Megatron turning into a flying hand in RID 2001 was really stupid, but they put it in the cartoon anyways because the toy did it. But if Pete gets to reading this, I hope he doesnt get offended. I just like Megatron to be Megatron, not a white Galvatron with wings.

15. Petes Robot Convention

Petes Robot Convention Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If we all liked the exact same things that would be boring. Zero worries. Just glad you dig the parts of the line that you do! I’d be happy to see a SG Megs gun at some point. Or a Sg Prime that transformed in to a gun??? That would be crazy.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Honestly, I just wished they had given the new SG Megatron a head similar to the original. Like Pete, I always loved that head design.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Vector Oracle

Vector Oracle PORKCHOP SANDWICHES!

News Credits:
    It would have been nice if he had the ER head.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thundershot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Even that would have been ok. They went with the grumpiest head.

• Like Like x 2
  19. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Three, actually. The original SG Soundwave was a repurposing of the white Music Label toy.

(Or were you not counting repurposes for some reason?)

20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I think its just a result of the limitations they placed upon themselves. Both Deluxes have new heads while both Voyagers have new weapons. Its probably a fixed thing they are doing rather than trying to do the best possible version they can.

• Like Like x 1