SG Goldbug

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Maybe it’s just a personal canon thing, but Shattered Glass represents the mirror verse to all the positive continuities, not just G1.

The original Shattered Glass Starscream used the Cybertron Starscream mold. To me, Shattered Glass Starscream was as much the heroic counterpart to Cybertron Starscream as he is to G1 Starscream.

• Like Like x 3
  2. G1 Evac

G1 Evac 1984 roller coaster car

News Credits:
    SG makes shelves look like a hideous KO corner, do G2 instead Hasbro, G2 will make you nostalgia money, SG will just get EVERYBODY upset, the people who like helicopter galvatrons will be upset and the people who hate helicopter galvatrons will be upset you spending budget on this crap! Cmon do G2, most people never even heard of SG it is confusing!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    The way I see it, each continuity has the potential to have a "Shattered Glass" counterpart. Funpubs was the SG counterpart to Classics as explicitly laid out in their comics. Hasbro's current SG is the counterpart to WFC. There's similarities but also deviations and Hasbro shouldn't really be expected to abide by something one of their licensee's did verbatim. If the multiverse is about choices creating different branches in reality then it stands to reason that every single positive universe has a negative one as well where opposite choices were made.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Well you gotta remember that Classics Prime and Classics (Nerf) Megatron were both wave mates in 2006. Shattered Glass Botcon was in 2008 where every Megatron figure was pretty much stuck being a tank. Logically, one would think since the Prime and Megatron molds were wave mates in 2006, they would be paired together again in 2008. But by 2008, a nerf gun the size of a handgun was considered too risky, so they went with Galva-Cyber-Megs and repurposing was born.

5. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I mean...it's a Hasbro pulse exclusive line of repaints with minor new tooling... it's more-or-less a new Botcon exclusive set being sold individually ~ as a Hasbro Pulse exclusive, it essentially doesn't exist beyond the hardcore fans, and as a 5-figure line it's not really taking anything away from anything else. (and mind you, I hate SG too!)

With Gen Selects, exclusives and the CW sets we've gotten way more G2 representation over the years. (Jazz, Laser Prime X2, G2 Megs, Airielbots, Combaticons, Stunticons, Ramjet, unreleased Sandstorm, Unreleased Combat Hero Megs... probably more I'm forgetting)

• Like Like x 3
  6. artiepants

News Credits:
    didn't the re-release Nerfatron a few years ago in horrible colors with unpainted transparent wings?

Ediit: weird, I'm not finding that on TFwiki, but I swear I remember it: feel like it was expensive and ugly, like the triplechanger reissues... maybe as an Amazon exclusive

Edit 2: Found it (2016) Megatron (2016) - Decepticon - www.tfu.info (holy crap that is ugly, and came with that totally insanely ridiculous that they ever sold it, in particular in the "Platinum" line Classic Prime with unpainted arm guards/ cab front quarter panels)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Yep, around 2016-2018 in the platinum edition line if I'm not mistaken

• Like Like x 1
  8. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    1) how is taking a toy, giving it an entirely new deco, and giving it an entirely new head... repurposing?
    2) It's not about risky, it's about what is actually legal to sell. Every state has their own toy gun limitations, and so Classics Megatron was, in 2006, the closest that toy could get to Megatron colors while being sold in all 50 States. It's been stated that this window of opportunity essentially immediately closed, and that it couldn't really be sold in any colors in all 50 States thereafter.
    3) And, finally, subjectively, what BotCon ended up with for Megatron is way cooler than some color-flipped Classics Megatron. We got a new Early Marvel head on a toy that was, in the US, a TRU exclusive. The new toy is way poorer for just having the normal Megatron head on a mold we've gotten 60 times.

• Like Like x 3
  9. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly.
    Repurposing is taking a toy, making no changes and saying "Yup, that's this now."

Example: Henkei Dark Skyfire was repurposed as SG Jetfire.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    It's less that and more what molds Hasbro had on hand to use for convention exclusives.

Honestly, the sacredness of Shattered Glass in whatever form feels like a useless argument, since it basically started out as a way to justify certain repaints for a convention. That's essentially still the function, only now it's become repaints for online exclusives.

• Like Like x 1
  11. artiepants

News Credits:
    is this actually true? since they did re-release it in 2016 AND as far as I know (and I could totally be wrong) they STILL sell nerf guns in all 50 states (some of which that look notably closer to real weapons then Nerfatron)

12. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Yes you are correct. They released it in a horrible red a few years ago as an online exclusive. That suprised me as well. But my guess would be as an online exclusive aimed at collectors would keep it out the hands of dumb teens who might try to use it in the streets. Now a days even a bag of skittles can get you shot.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fenrys

News Credits:
    There are some states that ban the sale of realistic looking toy guns (I believe NY might be one, but could be mistaken), but that's really as far as it goes. As far as I'm aware, Hasbro could rerelease Nerf Megatron today if they wanted to.

• Like Like x 2
  14. artiepants

News Credits:
    yeah, I was really surprised how "realistic" (and mind you, they are still eye-searing yellow and "cartoony") looking some of the Fortnite Nerf guns were.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    State-by-state guidelines are tricky. Again, they're not universal. Let's say, Connecticut decides that in order to sell a toy gun, the orange safety cap can't be a separate part from the rest of the toy? Then either you don't sell it in Connecticut or you just don't sell the toy. Nerf stuff can get around that because they're not transformable robots. Classics Megatron would flag a lot more safety guidelines just by merit of being a transformable robot.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Another thing I thought Id mention is did you ever notice these days most nerf guns are huge ? I think the problem with Nerf Megs wasnt so much the shape, but the size. Its the size of a glock. As stupid as it sounds, a kid could spray paint it black and fool people. That of course is just a guess on my part.

• Like Like x 1
  17. shellformer

shellformer @

I would greatly prefer an evil Picard with the full facial hair and sleeveless outfit than just a Picard with a now-grey uniform. There is such a thing as putting some effort in.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Fenrys

News Credits:
    The facial hair is no different than a new uniform, it's like a new paint app

19. Mudslide

Mudslide Eyes rolled so hard they fell out of my head.

Shame this is the first thing I see after being offline for two months.

20. Saiyun not munky

Saiyun not munky Banned

I want Worf with an afro to be SG Picard.

• Like Like x 4