SG Goldbug

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jtprime17, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Who are you to say im wrong ? If you dont like my opinion, fine. But that doesnt make your opinion fact either. It doesnt matter if they are humanoids or robots. Megatron is Megatron. Prime is Prime. In some continuites, they get offended when they are called machines. We are talking about the fiction here. The toyline is secondary. In the case of 2008, I would have rather not had the toyline at all if the proper molds didnt exist. They could have just made it a story concept. IDW could have done a way better job than Funpub without the hinderance of "it has to have an accompanying toy that Hasbro will let us use the mold" But in 2021, you dont have that hinderance. You have the proper molds available. You dont have to "make it work with what you have". You can do it properly. Im not hung up on the Funpub comic. It exists for those who want it to exist. But Pulse is not Funpub, and this is not a line for those who embraced the repurposing of UT molds and a wacky toy based comic to go with it. This is Shattered Glass as it was likely originally envisioned without the red tape. I guarantee they are going to put a lot of work into that comic and it will feel like a real well thought out continuity, not a brainstorm for Botcon convention theme. There seems to be plenty of people on this site who like it this way better. So I know im not alone.

2. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What I think he’s trying to say is that Transformers don’t always look the same. These are all Ironhide, for example.
    727D49E2-E37C-4D3F-8B9A-605C5339C6B1.jpeg 0E71B83F-A235-4111-950B-4570D187D729.jpeg C1D80A1A-E890-48E5-ACE0-181E05C39937.jpeg 151B75DB-5E8C-4A1D-AD5C-E9A2553CE969.jpeg 675D6FF1-396C-4346-A79B-FE3B263A4005.jpeg

SG is just another continuity and they don’t always have to adhere to the G1 bodies. Would FP have used proper G1 updated molds if they were available? Maybe. Maybe not. We won’t know unless someone like @Petes Robot Convention wants to chime in. I think using what they were allowed to use or chose to use gave some creative freedom. The story for SG Goldbug was that SG Bee was badly damaged and he got a more powerful body out of the deal.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Evacuation Prime

Evacuation Prime Leader of the Toilet Troop

yeah i agree if this SG line is ever going to work hasbro and funpub should abandon the mess it was and do it right. SG galvatron is a helicopter but SG optimus prime is just a repaint, that’s just stupid, what is the concept of SG, what are the rules, is it new alt modes or repaints or whatever digibashes thrown together? If SG starscream has jet fire’ s colors why doesn’t SG jet fire have starscream’s colors? Oh wait! Is this some silly childish fanon of some people trying to force all the customs they did into a universe where their imaginations come alive? Okay, that’s NOT a line. Hasbro/funpub better be smart enough to know that…

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    There is no Funpub anymore, they've got nothing to do with this new line.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ScorponokIsHere

ScorponokIsHere He is Arrived Indeed

News Credits:
    how is a person taking an existing toy and giving it a new personality in any way corporate

do you know what corporate means

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:

He doesn’t even understand Transformers.

• Like Like x 3
  7. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Goldbug was never G2, just FYI.

• Like Like x 2
  8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I gotta disagree and I think Hasbro does too, now. Maybe it wasn't this way 10 years ago. Maybe not even five years ago. But Hasbro is obviously pushing for iconic imagery on its most iconic characters as it's treating the franchise as more of a "comic book team" with distinct looks and personalities - more than it has since 1984. The proof is in the "Evergreen" pudding.

Now, it may sometime turn away from that eventually. But for now, Hasbro is trying to make this a legacy brand with legacy imagery. Optimus Prime will be a big red and blue truck (or have truck parts in robot mode at least) for some time to come. Bumblebee will be either a yellow Camaro-style coupe or a VW bug from now to eternity (or an inverted black on yellow). Hasbro may change things up every now and again...but not by very much.

• Like Like x 1
  9. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    This is literally the first time I've ever heard it suggested that Nerf Megatron was considered, but rejected, for SG Megatron, or even that Nerf Megatron was unviable due to "toy gun scare" (which is, of course, the very reason Classics Megatron was a Nerf gun rather than a more realistic weapon). I'd like to see more evidence of these claims before I can take the rest of your argument seriously.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Plus it wasn’t completely shelved because Hasbro did that Prime/Megatron repaint set a number of years ago. There were many reasons FP didn’t use certain molds. Usually because Hasbro said the mold wasn’t currently available.

• Like Like x 3
  11. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Unless it's Iron Man, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shellformer

shellformer @

SG Galvatron was obviously chosen to be a helicopter because at the time they had a rescue helicopter available with a three-pronged crown head, a bit like G1 Galvatron had. SG was designed as a funky little thing operating within certain constraints, demanding some strictly coherent rule for its design is the silly thing here. The concept is simply "Autobots are now evil and Decepticons are now good" with each character being a distorted reflection like you saw the them in a shattered glass mirror.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Rated X

Rated X Banned

I get that. But I see Shattered Glass as just a different dimension inside of the G1 continuity. The whole repurposing thing was just the human factor of Shattered Glass being stuck as a convention theme with limited resources. Thank gawd its 2021 and we can finally put those days behind us. Or can we ? It seems like some people are upset that Hasbro decided to make it normal G1 instead of wacky repurposing. Others like me like it a lot more. The repurposing was a tremendous distraction because we all knew the real reason why they did it. It wasnt to be creative. It was because they had little to work with toy wise.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rated X

Rated X Banned

As I said earlier, I used the word "corporate" for lack of a better word. What I was implying is that the repurposing of UT molds was basically a business decision based on what resources were available. Thats a crappy way to make a concept in my opinion. Its like using a broom to dig a hole because you dont have a shovel available. Go get a damn shovel. And if you cant, dont dig a hole until you get a shovel. Or to be more blunt, Shattered Glass as a toyline was way ahead of its time. 2021's mold availability and has done the concept justice.

15. shellformer

shellformer @

"regular G1 but their allegiances are effectively switched" is kind of boring, though. uniformly just dunking the characters in new paint and saying they're good or evil now is just kind of pedestrian. wildly repurposed toys at least was something new and unusual. good guy Galvatron as a rescue helicopter is more able to stand apart from G1 and justify its existence than if they had just taken a hypothetical classics Galvatron and painted him, idek, yellow and blue.

• Like Like x 3
  16. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

True. but is also the wrong size class. Its a good design/redeco from an aesthetics perspective though.

17. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Why does it's existence need to be justified by anything other than the fact it exists? Were not living in the functionist universe afterall.

• Like Like x 2
  18. shellformer

shellformer @

It's a toyline, not a living being. Preferably a toyline should be interesting, not exist to simply tick a checklist.

19. Fenrys

News Credits:
    And to some the simple concept of a mirror universe is interesting. There's no need to reinvent the wheel.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rated X

Rated X Banned

Actually SG Galvatron was just the wet dream for CHUG collectors who demanded a voyager scale Galvatron long before TR or Kingdom. Thats why it retained his G1 colors (similar to SG Jazz) It was based off of a custom that worked extremely well as a CHUG stand in for Galvatron at its time. Many SG figures were "dual purpose" so it would be easier to sell leftovers on the website after the convention. Thats why many Diaclone decos were conveniently dubbed Shattered Glass. And yes, I attended Botcon 2012 so I can confirm that was the mindset. They wanted to bring back Shattered Glass without alienating G1 fans who wanted stand ins to fill gaps in their CHUG collections.