Sex chosen or not?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Shockblast2, Mar 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Irrelevant. Transformers is just like any other fictional setting created by humans. It is a reflection of ourselves which includes, to some extent, our sexuality. Obviously it is inappropriate in a property aimed at kids to deal in any depth with sexuality but that doesn't mean that there aren't reasons(financial or otherwise) to have individuals who seemingly appear to be one gender or another.

2. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

But did they choose this themselves? Again, with the repetition.

3. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

I'm not the topic and I will not be lead into your troll trap. Did Arcee choose her female gender? Did Optimus choose his male gender.

Stay on topic, no trolling.

4. Snark

Snark Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Giant Robot Catfight the tv series? I'd watch that.

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The only one repeating things in this thread is you, in repeatedly asking for a yes or no answer to a question that has none. It is not something that is explicitly stated.

6. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I'm not really sure how gender works with Transformers. I am going to take a guess and say that it might be by per chance. You do see more male transformers than female transformers so I am inclined to believe their gender is choosen by chance. Not chosen.

7. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    I'm going to have to say no. The whole idea that Primus created functions for each Transformer serves a purpose. Comic wise, they exist for several purposes, but when things got out of control and lead to the division, Optimus was created like all Autobot leaders with specific functions to combat the Decepticons and Megatron.

8. Deceptijohn

News Credits:

Until some piece of official media comes out saying one way or another there is no way to know. Transformers is a created thing, so until some aspect of it is created it literally doesn't exist. There has never been any mention of sex, sexuality, gender or anything else remotely similar to base any analysis of this topic on. Quite simply it's not worth repeatedly asking for an answer that doesn't exist.

9. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Relevant when you say the only "real" reason there are female characters in the series is to sell more toys to those who like the female shape when in fact there were no female transformers toys in the g1 verse where the first female transformer (and several others) were first introduced yet had no toys. It's not complicated.

10. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    Agreed. Very relevant in the marketing and merchandising and selling points of the franchise realm. Demographics are different with each different point in the run.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    And also in a franchise where female characters have been introduced for reasons other than to sell toys, such as Airazor's interpretation as female by writer demand, and Nitro Convoy's feminization stemming from pressure from the Network airing the cartoon.

As with many other issues in a pop culture franchise with a long history, there's always more than meets the eye at first.

12. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I never said it was the "only real reason". I used words like maybe and might which are not statements of certainty. There is very little I am absolutely certain of because certitude requires a preponderance of evidence. There is not nearly enough evidence of sexuality in Transformers for any rational mind to derive any certainty from.

13. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

Hasbro won't do that in todays day and age. They are all about then green, nothing in-between. 25years ago they might have, but today they want to please everyone. Keeps the sales flowing and the profits bulging. You basically answered my question indirectly. You say Transformers is CREATED thing, right? So I guess you feel their gender was created as well?

14. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I would say that, for whatever reason, some physical attributes of human gender were included in the designs of the characters by the people who created them. I would not say that Primus created some TFs to be male and some to be female, because that issue has never been discussed in any official media.

15. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Dukeup Nukhead

News Credits:
    I like you.

I fail to see how Hasbro's profit margins have anything to do with Transformer genders.

16. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

Then you don't understand business and selling tactics. I cannot get into the specifics to save deviating from the original topic, but it has ALOT to do with it.

17. Deceptijohn

News Credits:

The original topic is well and truly settled imo, so feel free to be as deviant as you like. ;) 

18. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    What's the purpose of Gender for Transformers if they don't even reproduce in that way?

Not that I don't like the Fembots mind you. ;) 

19. Shockblast2

Shockblast2 Banned

Where the Transformers genders CREATED or CHOSEN after creation? That is they question, my friends. Thoughts?

Your post could answer in two ways. Inside or outside of fiction? I am looking to inside, but outside it is very simple.

$

20. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    I'm gonna try one last time....

There are no genders in Transformers. There is the seeming appearance of gender due to who created the characters(human beings) and who views the characters(human beings), but there is no such thing as male or female genders within the Transformers canon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.