Seth Rogen's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by TheWarPathGuy, Jun 30, 2020.

1. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

Ah, Thanks! :) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Speaking of Family Guy:

3. Jalen Frisby

Jalen Frisby BumblebeeLover

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

I wouldn't compare Alopex to windblade. though i don't care much about Windblade, i feel Alopex is a more developed character. though in the IDW comics that is.

4. Jalen Frisby

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I love the tmnt 2003, i also love Tmnt 2012, because the brothers, do interact like brothers.(Though rise is doing more better in my opinion), Though if i have to say which did the better crossover with the 80s..i say 2012, because yes the 80s turtles were silly, but there were times when they can get serious, and 03 turtles had their flaws, but making them seem perfect and have no flaws, compare to the 80s just feels like a one sided crossover event

• Like Like x 1
  5. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Except... the payoff to all the scenes of the '03 Turtles shaking their heads at them is when the original Turtles show up and make the '03 Turtles look just as goofy by comparison (and later admit privately that they liked all the other turtles). Being too hard on the '87 Turtles and getting too full of themselves was presented as one of the '03 Turtles' flaws. I think there was a message for a certain part of the fanbase there. I think it was needed. Just like for another portion of the fanbase, a reminder of just how dumb the '87 series often got was needed. Remember, the '03 series also got a lot of flack for not being the '87 series--the one many people still look at through rose glasses and think of as the "real" TMNT. The message in both cases is not to get too stuck on one representation of the Turtles.

Whichever illustration stuck out more to someone or ruffled their feathers, that's probably the one they most needed. And maybe still need.

• Like Like x 6
  6. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That movie did not have the Shredder, just Karai... guess they planned a sequel, hence why he had a toy? Got a pic of it?

7. Jalen Frisby

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):

While i can agree with that, the 80s turtles were useless, throughout the movie and just felt like idiots. in the 2012 crossover, not only are they portrayed like how they are, but in a way that's respectable to not just them, but the 2012 turtles as well, so not only does it feel earn, but it makes their interactions wholesome.

8. flamepanther

On the other hand, it was largely a rehash of the plot to Turtles Forever, but felt less big and exciting to me. It seemingly tried to erase the 2003 Turtles altogether while cribbing story ideas from them, which I think is a lot more disrespectful than focusing on one version's goofy side. And while it better captured the (occasional) serious side of the '87 TMNT we remember from their very earliest and very latest episodes, it still neglects the full range of cool-to-stupid covered by the original show--just in the opposite direction. Letting a little air out of people's nostalgia is not worse than pandering to it.

And the 87' Turtles weren't idiots in Turtles Forever. They just follow a different universe's rules. The bit between the Donatellos over the portal stick should've made that obvious. Hint: which of the two was right?

Edit:
    Hell, the '12 series goes a lot farther doing to the character of Michelangelo outside of any crossover what people accuse Turtles Forever of doing to the '87 TMNT. Any version of Mich(a)elangelo is the goofy turtle, but the 2012 version is the only one that's presented as dumb-as-rocks at first, instead of just silly. Even Splinter doesn't want to trust him with responsibility. But!.. then they go to Dimension X and it turns out he's an incredibly capable genius there, where all the rules are different.

The 1987 turtles are clueless about the 2003 turtles' universe, and that makes them look stupid. But they're never presented at "but we weren't in the van" levels of stupid, and some of their "stupid" ideas work just fine even in the 4Kids universe. They don't have to visit bizarro-world to show their competence.

Never mind that the writers are constantly using 2003 Michelangelo (whom the audience should identify with, as a pop culture geek) to point out how cool and fun the '87 stuff is in its own way. "They're like super heroes!" "EXPLODING robots!" and so on. The writers give '87 Raphael some of the crossover's funniest moments. Turtles forever pokes fun at the '87 series being sillier than we remember (and it was!), but it does so very fondly. People who don't see that didn't get it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Google “TMNT 2007 Shredder”. He really looked like the 2003 Shredder but in the lankier, sleeker aesthetic of 2007 TMNT. I thought it was a great meld of 2003 and 2007.

As for why he got a toy, I suppose it’s like Vader and making a Star Wars toyline. You have to have Vader in it at some point.

As for a sequel, yes, they had ideas to do a sequel where the Shredder returns, which Karai hints at in the movie and the toy bio hinted as well. Didn’t happen, of course. Either Kevin Eastman or Kevin Munroe also had ideas about returning to live action, with Sarah Michelle Gellar and Chris Evans reprising their roles as April and Casey. Crazy that this was pre-Cap Chris Evans, too.

• Like Like x 4
  10. flamepanther

People wonder what TMNT 2007 storyline has to do with the brand. But it seems to me like it would be right at home as a story in the Tales of the TMNT comics from Mirage (I haven't read the IDW version). Those always focused on weird one-off stories that happened to have the turtles in them. Occasionally, they would later turn out to provide important background for the main series. The movie was extremely on-brand... It's just a part of the brand that many weren't familiar with.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Chopperface

News Credits:
    The 13 monster storyline could maybe work as an arc of a show. Not necessarily 13 episodes unless they manage to really make each episode outstanding, but you could get a whole 13 episode season out of it. Maybe the pilot episode kinda does what the movie did, introduce the mythology and the Turtles’ current situation like the first 15 minutes of the movie did. Then we get an episode of Mikey and Donnie, an episode of just Raph as the Nightwatcher and then with Casey joining. Episode 4 is when the reunion of all four Turtles happens and when they learn about the monsters in the city. Devote more time to develop Mikey and Donnie since they got shafted in the movie for the conflict between Leo and Raph.

Huh. Maybe the movie would’ve been better as a season of a show, albeit after better scripting and all.

I’d like to see stuff like the Stone Generals, some of the monsters, and the Nightwatcher return for newer incarnations. Only nod I’ve heard was sadly in 2012 when Raph said “remember when you talked me out of that Nightwatcher phase”, and of course the cameo in Turtles Forever.

I also hope this new movie pays tribute to the franchise with lots of little Easter eggs and cameos.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alopex was more like IDW's attempt to use Ninjara, despite not having the rights. They just turned her white-furred. The 2012 show at least tried to redefine her origins, and made her Tiger Claw's sister, so that was interesting.
    Btw, why was that "ninja tribunal" season of the 2003 show basically never aired? As I read it just appeared on DVD. Odd because the events that happened during that season are referenced by later seasons.
    That's how I recall the old show myself, it could be really dumb sometimes. Like how nobody recognized giant turtles because they wore trenchcoats and hats. But Phelous really took offense at that movie. I think many people remember 1987 TMNT (same as some people remember Sunbow G1) through rose-tinted glasses.
    Why do you call them Murakami Turtles? First I heard of Glen Murakami was around Ben 10 and its sequels.
    Indeed, the original first few episodes were closer to the Mirage comics. I think the Foot actually used swords, there were badass action scenes, Krang and Shredder came close to being threatening... But many shows have changes after the pilot. G1 also started off with the Autobots being able to fly, for example.

I guess everyone looked at TMNT 2003 as the direct continuation of "G1" TMNT, same as how people did with Beast Wars. By the time Animated rolled around nobody ever compared them since we had a myriad of TF shows inbetween. But TMNT only had the Saban live action show after 1987, and I think most fans are trying to forget that ever existed... (Btw, I am thankful for Phelous that he is reviewing them episode by episode, as I never saw that show as a kid, and watching it would seem like torture).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  13. Chopperface

News Credits:
    To answer your question about the Ninja Tribunal season, what happened was that Fast Forward was already in production, and apparently while the show was getting great ratings with adults, it’s ratings with kids was starting to suffer during Season 4. If you remember, Season 4 was probably the darkest yet with a long arc about Leo’s PTSD and self-loathing, some grisly stuff like the mutant outbreak, and of course the series’s own pretty serialized nature. The powers that be decided to air Fast Forward first in an attempt to boost ratings with the lighter-toned, futuristic season in fall 2006, leaving us on the fourth season cliffhanger with the Turtles being conscripted into the Tribunal from spring 2006 until spring 2008 when it aired as “the Lost Episodes”.

That being said, even by the time Fast Forward completed its run by fall 2007, Ninja Tribunal/season 5 already aired in other countries, and I explicitly remember looking it up on YouTube in fall 07. And for the seventh and ultimately final season, numerous pitches were thrown around. One was “ultimate TMNT” where they said fuck canon and merged the 2003 show with the 1980s show and the live action films; one had the Turtles go from Fast Forward’s 2105 to their own childhood days, meaning they’d team up with their childhood counterparts; another involved a season wide gimmick of a card game kinda like Chaotix or even Yugioh. But eventually they kept the lighter tone of FF and returned to the basic premise of seasons 1-4, albeit with a new visual overhaul inspired by the 2007 film, much like how pretty much any cartoon of a licensed party is usually mandated to look like whatever franchise movie came out.

Ninja Tribunal got a late run on TV, but it also got a full DVD release set, as did Seasons 1 and 2 around this time. And Seasons 3-4, while not in set 13 episode cases, got released in their entirety in the regular 4-6 episode DVD formats, and Fast Forward was released entirely in 2 13 episode DVD’s. The only season that didn’t get any sort of American DVD release was Back to the Sewers.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice! More lanky and mobile than most Shredder, but the design is in line with the 2007 movie. Odd that you can remove his helmet too. His face is not what I expected.
    tmnt-ninja-turtles-movie-2007_1_cd572e8fbba67c9b89ae1b3517423380.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  15. Chopperface

News Credits:
    I feel like it really is 2003 Oroku Saki in the 2007 aesthetic. He vaguely resembles Winters in that aspect thanks to the aesthetic.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The 80’s turtles weren’t useless in forever. They kicked plenty of ass, they just took a back seat by necessity of being in a different universe. Only Raphael didn’t really like them, because it was “like having five Mikeys!” And like Flamepanther said, it was setup for the payoff that there was still a darker, more serious turtles series than 2003.

The 2012 crossover was meaner to the 80’s turtles, with the 2012 turtles rather bluntly pointing out the quirks of the 80’s turtles without any wit or parody. Just yelling at them “why don’t you use your weapons!” or “why are so so cartoony!” It was just Turtles Forever but dumb, with a weaker story and weaker jokes. Almost ten years later and they couldn’t come up with better jokes than “why do the cartoon characters act like cartoons?” It got real old real fast.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Pharoid

Pharoid Time Traveling Robot

News Credits:
    Seth Rogen. Oh sorry TMNT.

18. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

Yeah I never quite got the criticism of the way Turtles Forever portrayed the 80s Turtles cast. Well except maybe for Shredder and Krang at the end, with Shredder going on about building a tickle ray...But other than being a little bit sillier than they were even in their own show, it didn't seem disrespectful to them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jalen Frisby

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I may need to go back and watch Turtles forever, it's been a while. i don't think it's a bad movie, i just felt they didn't do the 80 turtles right, but it could just be my rose-tinted glasses, so imma go back and watch it.

20. flamepanther

Because I didn't feel like typing out Murakami-Wolf-Swenson, the name of the production company. The Murakami in this case was director and animator Jimmy Murakami. I have no idea whether Glen Murakami is any relation.