Sentinel Prime Color Change?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Igniting_Prime, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Igniting_Prime

Igniting_Prime Igniting The Battle

News Credits:
    Not sure if this was discussed before, but did anyone notice Sentinel Prime's color change in the movie when he was on the Ark in the opening sequence? In the first teaser trailer Sentinel was Gold all over, but in the same scene in the movie he was already red. Anyone have any ideas as to why they might of changed his colors?
    I feel like they did it just to prevent confusion when he switches to the fire truck and makes it a more natural change considering the truck was already red.

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Many people noticed it, and it's also trivia in the wiki. I was kind of wondering about it myself. I thought he would show up yellow but after scanning he would be red. Maybe he had a different alt mode before and they changed it after or they just decided to keep him the same color for simplicity's sake?

3. Igniting_Prime

News Credits:
    That's what I was thinking. It was very weird because I was caught off guard in the theater when the shot rolled into him and all of a sudden he was red. Any idea as to what possible alt mode he could of had that would of been gold-ish?
    I think it was just more for simplicity and it would be an easier transition into the truck.

4. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    They had him all gold in the teaser trailer so people wouldn't see his being red and then look at the Rosenbauer firetruck and figure out the math equation.

5. The F.N.G.

The F.N.G. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe the main reason was probably identity concealment. If he was red in the teaser, people would automatically point at the firetruck and go "that's gotta be the bot from the teaser!" Keeping him gold would have been a nice choice, IMO, showing the difference between ones Cybertronian form and their scanned Earth alt-mode. But I can also see how that would have been confusing, what with there being no actual scene of him scanning his alt-mode in the movie itself.

6. Igniting_Prime

News Credits:
    That makes perfect sense! But I definitely would of loved to see some action of Sentinel as the Gold bot. I feel like it would of given him a more "God" like appeal considering they were like Gods on cybertron, and it would of given him a unique look to the other transformers.

7. thebruteslayer

thebruteslayer Banned

News Credits:
    Rosenbauer Fire Trucks come in different colors. Gold/Yellow is one of them, so maybe they could only get the red one and changed his CGI colors to match.

There is one thing I noticed: His colors are darker when he was awakened, but the become brighter when he's in the desert.

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    if you actually look at that scene, he was a mix of gold/yellow and red, his paint look REALLY worn in that opening scene where we first saw his body

9. AllSpark Shard

AllSpark Shard Squirrel-flattener

I noticed the color change the instant I first saw the movie at the theater, mainly because I liked the red scheme much better.

It probably was done simply to hide his identity, in the trailer. At that stage of development, I doubt very much that the Sentinel in the movie was gold and had his color changed at the last moment.

10. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Meh... closest I could find:

[​IMG]

11. TheSpacebridge

TheSpacebridge The Spacebridge

News Credits:
    More likely the animation was done when he was still being called Ultra Magnus & that was his colour scheme

12. An Army of Bees

An Army of Bees WTF@TFW Podcast Editor Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    By the time the trailer was finished, they already had to have had a design finalized for the character, and they already had his alt mode chosen. It was most likely just a case of keeping the firetruck's identity a secret than anything else. Same with the name change.

13. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    THIS. More of a darker cherry red on the moon (and no, I'm not counting the whole "it's dark"-thing, as he still looked darker on the moon than he did at the National Mall) than his brighter apple red once he's scanned a vehicle mode.

And not only was he a different colour, but he was in a completely different pose (well, relatively speaking). His face had a different expression on it, and he was clutching the control pillar too.

That's one thing I'm very interested in comparing once DotM comes out on Blu-Ray: the "Sentinel Shot" from the teaser compared to that same shot from the film. Really goes to show how much tweaking and refining is done in the months between trailers and the theatrical release. Well, that and this whole "Sentinel was in his Earth Mode on the moon!"-debate. Once we get some 1080p screen caps, we'll settle this once and for all.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Regardless Hasbro needs to make a Yellow Sentinel Prime figure.

15. Igniting_Prime

News Credits:
    I noticed that as well!! The very first time I saw the film in IMAX I immediately noticed color change, he was in a different position, and even his face had a different expression. It looked more like a sorrowful face as opposed to his bold empowering leader face he had in the trailer. Would be nice to get as a bonus feature on the dvd maybe shots of him walking around in the Gold Bot around the NEST base or something.

16. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never mind that he had his fire truck kibble before he was even brought down to Earth.

17. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    See, and I'm not seeing that. I saw the movie five times in theatres and I never once noticed said "firetruck kibble". Granted, I could be wrong, I obviously didn't possess the means to run up to the projection booth and pause it, rewind it, play it, pause it and whatnot. ;)  Between him on the Ark/at the NEST base and then once he actually has his Earth mode, I'm positive I noticed that his chest/neck/back kibble was different. That's something that I hope some official screencaps can solve once the Blu-ray is released. :) 

18. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    I could've dig that(or something like it)as his alt.mode....and it could make him look a little bit like G1 or something.

19. OptimusPrime108

OptimusPrime108 Autobot Field Commander

Did anyone also notice the facial expression change? In the teaser he looks kind of angry but in the actual movie he has like a sad, tired, defeated look on his face.

20. Wars

Wars I ate the WHOLE plate

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not too sure either, but I'm very certain he at least has the exact same window boobs, don't know too much. I'll have to check back. But accordin to TFWiki he does;

Now that you mention it . . .