Selling off your collection

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Apr 10, 2008.

1. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

Why do people say selling "off", I never understood that.

2. taz235

taz235 Well-Known Member

He speaks the truth in that type of relationship; there are several type of relationships for different people. I could not be in a relationship where my girl will tell me to stop doing something that I do for fun. It seems a lot of women actually enjoy crushing means dreams and fun. I can not have the traditional conservative relationship with the tradition controlling woman. I have a girl that is as non conservative as I am and we share hobbies with no bitching. She has actually spent over 7 thousand dollars in 3 months on Sideshow statues for both of us. I make large purchases and we are cool. I love this type of setup. I also dont understand people who need to read other peoples opinion to make decisions on their own Life.

3. icefox

icefox Black GFC

I sold off a chunk of my collection because it just got to big. I had toys all over the place and some that I bought that I had never even displayed or opened. I started by getting rid of almost all of my Armada (except Laserbeak). Sense then I haven't bought many and the few that I have bought have been special/rare items. Why have something you can't even display? Part of the problem is that I was enjoying the process of collecting transformers more then the transformers themselves. Transformers are not investments, no matter what people might say. So all you have to do is change your collection definition. For me it is defined to be the complete 84-86 (www.toybin.org) because of that I don't have to collect every toy every year. Collecting every optimus prime would probably be really hard and space consuming too. But perhaps going with every Grimlock (or some other character) would be a really nice idea. One or two new toys a year, something fun to collect without wasting too much money or space.

4. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

When I was still dating (before I met my wife) I was with a girl who I otherwise liked, but when she saw my Transformers collection she started bugging out about it. (My collection at the time took up a bookshelf--about six 3 foot shelves--and was confined to a corner of my apartment.) She told me that grown men with toys was too creepy for her and that I shouldn't be that childish. I mean it REALLY bothered her down to the core. And I was certainly holding down a good job and driving a nice car, so it wasn't the money she was concerned about either.

So I let her go. It wasn't that I was putting the collection before her. It was just that her saying that gave me a good indication of how compatible we were. She didn't appreciate the same things I appreciated (and moreover refused to tolerate the things that I liked.) And for me to totally disavow my collection and hobbies would be to stay untrue to myself or to be false in approaching her. So we parted ways, and I think that's healthy.

When I met my wife, I let her know up front that toy collecting, particularly Transformers, was a passion of mine. Rather than being repulsed by it, she was intrigued, and she told me that she would no more ask me to change myself than give up the things she cared for. My wife is a shoe nut. So sometimes instead of a new Transformer, we buy a pair of shoes. She loves making clothes, and I would no more condemn her for buying fabric than she would condemn me for picking up a new jewel for my collection.

I can't tell you how great it felt to open my birthday present and find that my lovely wife had gone out and bought me the Optimus Prime voice changer head.

I'm not the completist collector that I once was, and I've tempered my collecting with other financial concerns. For instance, I've bought more Transformers from thrift shops lately than from Wal-Mart. And when we're in a crunch, I have to let Transformers slide.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I don't think SOs should affect your collecting, as long as you're doing what you need to be doing. A true love wouldn't.

5. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

Women tend to use the word "creepy" a lot. Even in situations (i.e. toy collecting) that don't warrant it.

6. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I plan on selling parts of my collection off due to space issues and there are a few TF that I bought in the last few years (Armada Prime) that I shouldn't have.

7. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits:
    I sold off my G1 collection because I wanted to, in return it has helped me pay off some bills and I stashed a chunk of the $ away to get my gf an engagement ring. My gf is so supportive and wanted to make sure I was 100% positive that I wanted to sell my G1's, I told her I was done collecting G1's and decided to keep with the current stuff instead, plus there is so much more room in the home now :) 

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt. My current (and last) SO Freyabeads is a fan also. Anyway, I have a part-time position now that helps with things like Botcons, vacations, etc. :D 

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've been thinking about seriously downsizing, especially non TF stuff. I've got well over 1000 non TF figures and I do nothing with them. They just stand on a shelf, collecting dust or sit in a bin in my closet.

10. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

You could say the same about your TF collection as well (lol)

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I sold off a big bit a couple of years back I belive in 2005 or early 2006. I collected G1,Rid and there on. I realized that this aint never going to work so I sold off everything that wasent G1 except the Armada optimus and Nemesis Prime to have a reminder what show that fuled the spark of love on my hearth again for G1.

I moved out the old place and into with the gf and most of my stuff is in a shurgard storage now untill we get a biggerplace in the future. I sold of alot of Spawn,sw and other when I moved because I felt it was going insane.

I will probably do another trim from the shurgard storage soon but some things Im never going to sell.

I was like many others probbaly a bit compulsiv in the beginning and bought anything cool both Tf and other lines but ones you get older and it starts to pile up you get to a point were you actually realized that this road aint working (unless your DJ Soundwave ;)  ) and you realize also you cant collect everything.

12. Optimus Layne

Optimus Layne Autobot Commander

when i first met my gf was like "why do you collect all these things? dont you think its a lil weird?" i told her well some people collect baseball cards, football cards or other types of sport memorbilla, some people collect coins and stamps, and even some people collect nascar commerative plates....me im one of the many that collect these so called things and as many not just as a hobby but as a passion. then a lil later on i learned she had a store room and a closet at her sisters house full of stuffed animals and i recalled her question from the previous months about me collecting tfs or as she called it "these things" so i asked her why do you collect all these things? don't you think it's weird? her response. these are things that i've had during my childhood and growing up and when i see a one i i like i just have to get it and add it to my all others. so i told her the same reason you have 2 closets full of stuffed animals.....is the reason i have walls and shelf covered in transformers figures and collectibles. now she gets me them as gifts for my bday or christmas or just as a nice jesture every now and then.

13. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

I don't understand how women, and parents for that matter, look down on hobbies.

14. Optimus Layne

because when they were young they hugged trees and visited woodstock :lol 

15. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Rosso Corsa

Eh, I actually make it a point to tell potential significant others or people I'm dating about my TF collecting since it's currently one of my main interests. If that's something they have an issue with, to the point they have to label me as creepy because of it, then too bad.

16. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    While my wife isn't a fan of my collecting habits, she tolerates/supports it b/c she knows that I can re-sell some of the stuff and make a pretty penny. I've already told her that when the time comes for our first child that I would sell off a large chunk of my stuff to help w/ the accompanying expenses.

I look forward to having kids and I'm sure when that time comes I'll be so excited that I won't have second thoughts at selling (fill in the blank).

17. Optimus Layne

in the future when i get married and we decide to have a kid if my wife tries to make me sell of my collection for extra money i would be like well if i sell all this you better at least let me name the kid......and i'll choose optimus prime, megatron, grimlock or something of the sort haha

18. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Same goes around our house...

When my collection wall is complete...the same rule will apply for it...when it's full it's full...no expanding just replacing...

No one should ever ask you give up anything you enjoy unless it's harmful in some way or fashion...and last I checked, plastic crack wasn't too bad for one's self... :D 

Just remember to keep it under control and don't collect outside your means...

19. diablien

diablien Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I honestly don't think I'll ever sell them.

That being said, I have TRIMMED the collection down. I've settled on a few characters to collect exclusively.

I've decided all those TRU reissues are just kind of silly to have and are selling them along with tons of other boxed stuff I bought for whatever reason.

Starscreams are here to stay though, can't take those away!

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is where the Transformers are different. I actually take them off the shelf and Transform them all the time, my other figures (Marvel Legends, GiJoe, Batman, Star Wars etc.) just stand there.