Seller Looking for Advice: Am I Getting Scammed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ZYXD, Mar 9, 2020.

?

Should I go along with this?

1. Yeah, you're good to go

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, you're getting scammed

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. ZYXD

ZYXD Shattered Glass Sharkticon

So something strange happened to me just yesterday. I usually sell some of the toys I don't want anymore on sites like eBay and Mercari, and sites like those usually give buyers and sellers a chance to talk privately about whatever's for sale.
    Yesterday afternoon, I got a message from a certain "dygijuoiof" on Mercari with a phone number asking me to text him. The account was terminated shortly after and message was consequently unavailable on the website (presumably because Mercari's code of conduct prohibits sharing private information or outside business), but I still had a copy of the message in an email notification and decided to text the number.

To my surprise, he responded, mentioning both his name and the name of the item so to prove that he wasn't some sort of bot. Interestingly enough, he was offering an additional $50 more than the listing price so long as I immediately remove the online listing so nobody else can buy it. Something I found alarming though was that he wanted my name and address. Asking him why, he said he intended to pay by mailing a check instead, followed by sending a mover to pick up the package personally.

I was confused as to why he wanted to do all this rather than just buy the item directly, so he answered that he received the check from his job as congrats for getting newly wed, and he offered such a high price to make sure none of the other watchers could buy it before he did.

Reluctantly, I agreed to the deal, removed the listing, and packed everything up in preparation for the mover. I'm aware that there does exist some form of scam check that ruins your bank account when deposited, so if and when I receive his check, I'll be sure to take it to the bank and to have it verified before I throw it into my account.

Have any of you had a similar transaction like this? Would it be risky for me to go along with this? Is there anything else I should be worried about in case if this is a scam? If it is one, what could this person do to me with the check and the information I gave him? And what else can I do to make sure that this is safe?
    Any sort of input on this situation would seriously help out an inexperienced seller like me. If you've read this far into this post, thank you!

2. Drangleic

Drangleic A funerary dirge for humanity

Sorry man, that sounds sketchy as f*ck. Spider-sense tingling. I'm not a very trusting person though.

I'd say no. Tell him cash or PayPal. Otherwise no deal. Definitely don't give him your address. And meet him in a public place if you decide to do the transaction.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  3. ZYXD

Can't blame you. Unfortunately I think a personal transaction would be possible since it sounds like he's on the other side of the country. But I'll definitely see if I can ask him to either cash out the check himself or send it digitally, since the check sounds like way too many red flags.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

It sounds like this guy wants your address so he can scope out your place and break in when you leave. This sounds like a high-dollar item, so he probably figures that you have comparable pieces of significant value in your home. Don't be a statistic. There's a reason his account was banned. Tell this guy to go through the proper channels or piss off.

...and NOBODY pays by check anymore.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Paying by check... asking for your home address... paying by check... having someone coming to collect on his behalf... paying by check... terminated Mercari account... paying by check... offering more than asking price... paying by check... saying he got a wedding bonus as a check... paying by check... totally unorthodox way of wanting to do a deal... and oh yeah, PAYING BY CHECK.

No offense, but if you can't see how this is 100% a scam across the board, you're in trouble. A friggin' Nigerian Prince with a Hotmail account offering to send you his newfound riches if you only send him $10K to 'release' them is more credible than what this Mercari piece of work is pulling.

If you go through with this, you're about to get a very shitty reality check right alongside the paper one that WILL inevitably bounce.

• Like Like x 4
  6. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Selling: Rodimii! All Rodimus must go.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    DO NOT ACCEPT A PERSONAL CHECK. RIP IT UP. My god man. You can't be that desperate for money. Put your listing back up and block him on your phone. If you actually get a check contact the police.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ZYXD

Thanks for giving your feedback this fast. I was worried I wouldn't hear back at all and have to figure this junk out on my own. Frankly I always had the suspicion that this was a scam, but Christ I didn't realize the worst case scenario could get that bad. Thankfully both the bank and the police station are less than a mile away, so I at least have a Plan B if any shit goes especially through the fan. Like I said earlier, my Plan A is to see the bank personally to take a look at the check. If it turns out to be a fraud, I can get the police on the case no problem.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cyclonus8

cyclonus8 Well-Known Member

Your local bank can only verify if the check the account is drawn from has enough funds to cover the check if it is drawn on the same bank. Chances are high it won’t be the same bank so your bank won’t be able to do anything. Your bank may say you can cash it even if it isn’t drawn on them. Don’t do it. What that means is that your bank will front you the money and then ask the other bank for payment in a couple of days. If it bounces, they will take the money right back out of your account along with a service charge.

Since he mentioned that the check is a wedding gift, the check may be payable to him. That means he’s signing it over to you. Banks may not honor that unless all parties are present when depositing or cashing. Otherwise, anybody could take a check, forge a signature and sign it over to themselves.

• Like Like x 2
  9. ZYXD

Thanks for the input. If it wasn't obvious, I'm very ill experienced when it comes to handling checks--least of all potential frauds--so this information's huge. So far, it's in my best interest to look through this check as thoroughly as possible without actually doing something as permanent or risky as putting it in my bank account. If there's any way I can actually do that, I really gotta know.

10. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    The best thing you could do is walk away and hope you didn't just give some dirtbag your home address. Next the mover will want to know what time you're available which establishes the times you aren't home.

This thing is made of red flags.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    But that's all still too late. Outside of you literally meeting the person that's giving you the check at the same bank it's drawn from - your bank CANNOT immediately verify funds from a check from another bank - you're still screwed. When, not if, it bounces about 3-7 days later, the guy will already have your shit.

And sorry to tell you, but unless the guy coming to give you the bad check and steal your shit beats you or threatens you, the police won't/can't do squat anyway. What they WILL do is very condescendingly tell you just not not accept checks from strangers from across the country that you met on the internet. Period.

Stop all of this NOW.

• Like Like x 4
  12. ZYXD

You're right. This just isn't worth it, and it's only gonna get worse if I actually go through with it.
    I left a message saying that if he really wants to buy this thing, he'll have to buy it like anyone else would and cash out his own check, then I blocked his number. I'll keep this thread updated if anything actually comes up. God, this is a mess.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Charlock

Charlock Lighten Up, Francis.

You're doing the right thing by walking away. Now, hopefully nothing comes of you sharing your address with this person. Either way, be vigilant over the next few days, or even weeks. If you notice any suspicious activities, like unfamiliar vehicles or people near your home, pay close attention to faces and license plates.

With situations like this, too good to be true is just that.

14. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Yeah, have to agree with everyone here. This whole deal is made of red flags and everything sounds like scams I've seen people fall for in the past. Glad you've decided to pull out of this @ZYXD as nothing good could come of it. Also, if you've already shared your address be watchful for any out of the ordinary activity. Also, remember that this guy was banned for a reason. Never do business with members who have been banned from selling sites.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Drangleic

Nothing will come of it since you walked away. He'll simply move on to an easier mark. You would be too much effort at this point.

Live and learn my guy. That's what it's all about.

To be clear at first I thought this dude was in your home town.

16. ZYXD

Thanks for being so supportive towards me with all this. As strange as it is to say, it really does mean a lot to me to have part of the community looking out for each other in crazy situations like this one. After talking about it with other folks who've dealt with similar scams to this, I'm nowhere near as scared stiff as I was before. Considering how many cheap scams like these go around and do nothing but throw fake checks, I'm not too worried anymore about what might happen.

@ILoveDinobot's right too, there's always gonna be another chance to sell something so I shouldn't hung up over a ghost of a chance at cash. I feel stupid for not already knowing better than to trust raw texts but sticking to sites and digital cash is certainly gonna make things a whole lot less of a load.

• Like Like x 3
  17. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In stock

News Credits:
    What could you possibly be selling that he is willing to pay $50 over? Is it a rare piece or something?

I personally wouldn't put myself at risk over an extra $50, I hope you don't get scammed.

18. ZYXD

It was the Takara version of the Fall of Cybertron Bruticus set, which is pretty hard to come by. I'll probably just relist it now that what's done is done, or anyone here's welcome to PM me about it since I have it on my sales thread. I had it listed for $150 shipped and he offered $200. Either way it's not really enough to waste anybody's time breaking into a house for, so I'm not too worried.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Drangleic

No doubt! Don't worry about king shit over there who thinks he's bad behind his computer. I know those types of people and they're not so tough or mouthy face to face. I think you know whom I'm talking about.

Do what I do and just laugh at him.

20. ZYXD

As little as I knew about scam checks and meetup frauds, at least I'm no stranger to acting big and tough behind a screen like a right mug :lol