Sell me on one of the MP Reflectors

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by MegaMoonMan, Jan 25, 2017.

?

Which MP Reflector?

1. KFC

33 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. MT

51 vote(s)
    41.8%
  3. FT

35 vote(s)
    28.7%
  4. other

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. MrAngry

MrAngry Proud to be Geek!

I'm in the same boat man. I think I've decided on KFC, tbh. I alternate my display, and the KFC guys look great in alt mode. Then again, so does MT. FT, to me, looks horrible in alt mode.

After looking at pics of MT and KFC for hours, I like the look of KFC better.

But with these guys it really comes down to a choice between 3 great meals. You have to decide what your hungry for.

2. rpetras

rpetras Well-Known Member

I went FT.

They have a really nice build quality.
    While the transform can be odd in some spots, I feel it really comes together in a nice way.

There is a little partsforming, but IMO only the pieces that make sense as separate parts.

As you say, all have some give and take on the design. All are pretty good, but I have been really happy with my purchase.
    In fact he sits on my shelf right behind my desk, and I admire it all the time.
    It is one for the few sets I keep in alt mode most of the time, because it looks just that good.

3. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MT Visualizers for sure. Just look at their chests.

4. evilash3373

evilash3373 Well-Known Member

I like the MT Reflector due to the all in one transformation, chest detail, general asthetic, not too frustrating transformation and a track record of good QC of MT figures.

But no matter what you pick I don't think you can go wrong.

5. robh

robh Decepticon

I prefer (and purchased) MT.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thanks everyone. MT it is! No partsforming is a huge plus.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Not Pessimus Prime

Ebay:
    As others have said, all three seem like good choices. So if you don't own any, the question might be are the MT ones worth $35 more than the KFC ones? Are the FT ones worth $10 more than MT or $45 more than KFC?

8. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

Everything that follows is preceded by an imaginary "IMO" :) . I have FT's and KFC's, and both are really great sets. If I'm being honest, I think I like KFC's more, but FT's has the toon look down pat. KFC's bots are just prettier. I love the paint apps, and they have the better head sculpt. And they also have the better weapons forming. The weapons on FT's is the worst part about them. I know that's a weird thing to point out, but it's surprising just how much better the accessories are on KFC's. Where FT's shines is the toon accuracy. Where KFC's is a amalgam of toon and comics, FT's bots look like they jumped out of the toon. They are also good looking bots; they just don't have the style of the KFC bots. But if you're looking for toon accuracy, FT's wins by a large margin. And even though looking at the alt modes of both may seem like KFC's is more toon accurate, I can tell you that's only in the coloring. Everything else about the FT's version - dimensions, shape, and feel - is much more aligned with the toon model. And FT's is a lot more solid in alt mode. When everything is tabbed together on it, it actually feels like one big piece, while it's pretty obvious on the KFC guys that it's three separate pieces stuck together. It doesn't feel like it's going to come apart on you by any means. It's just not as solid as FT's. Beyond looks, both have a similar build quality. Both are well made. The only real difference from that standpoint is that KFC's has some ratcheted joints, while FT's does not.

So basically, if toon accuracy is important and you can get by the alt mode having a different color scheme in alt mode, FT's is your choice. If you're less concerned with toon accuracy and want really nice looking bots, KFC is the way to go.

I did evaluate MT's version when deciding who to go with and, while I'm sure they're well made, I just didn't like the look. They don't look toon accurate to me, and didn't look as nice as KFC's. They just didn't do it for me.

9. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

If you want the flash on the camera, you have to stick it on like the other two. Less partsforming than the other two, but I wouldn't call it none.

10. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Went looking around, and found you the best price. $99.90, plus $16.60 shipping (at least to my state). (Uses PayPal)

Maketoys MTRM-07 Visualizers

Yes, it's from Hong Kong, but I've made a few purchases from Action Robo & I've found them to be pretty decent. Shipping will take a while however. Plus, I don't think returns will be easy if you've got a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    For me, it's no contest for MT. Easily the most screen accurate version out there, and the transformation is f'ing genius.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

I've heard other people say that, but I'm not seeing it. To me, the FT reflector is the most screen accurate out of the three.

G1 Reflector.jpg MT FT Reflector.JPG

KFC's is definitely not screen accurate, but they weren't trying to be. Still my favorite, I think.

keiths-fantasy-club-reflector.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Maketoys is the only one to reproduce the cartoon's weird feet. Plus, camera mode is closer to the cartoon version.

I'll grant that Fanstoys does a better job painting them, and they do get slightly nicer heads, but Maketoys wins with better accessories, and the all in one transformation (for me).

14. dedguy

dedguy Well-Known Member

KFC's does the cartoon feet too, just elongates the toe.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't know... I've always acknowledged the more accurate coloring of FT's and can see how some people prefer that version, but the MT ones just better capture the cartoon aesthetic imo. I think mainly due to the better camera mode (imo) and bulkier proportions vs. the much skinnier/lankier look of FT's. MT's just screams "Reflector!" way more to me, especially when displayed next to other (official) MP's.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    MT for me. Yeah, none of the 3 are perfectly screen accurate, but MT seems closest to me.

I like FTs in general, but the faces for their Reflector don't look right, or at least the MT seems more "righter" to me.

Also, MT looks more short and stocky which I like.

17. Pitt

Pitt Well-Known Member

It does. It actually does incorporate some of the toon look, but from the waist up it's more of a nod to IDW.

That's all that really matters, at the end of the day - that you like how they fit in with your collection. :thumb 

18. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

MT best choice for value

19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Well-Known Member

This is an odd one for me because I usually don't change my mind this much. I never had any brand loyalty but on first pass when they all came out I was sold on the Maketoys version. I saw several videos on them when they came out along with FT Spotter and just became turned off to both. I decided to not get one at all but KFC won me over immediately when I saw the reviews. Love the figures and I got them on sale so even better.

20. Soma

Soma Well-Known Member

I went with MT, don't like the weird collar / shoulder things the others have going on. They're good in hand, have a lot of personality.