Seibertron interviews G1 box designer Richard Marcej

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

Awesome work man, if what was posted on another site is true and you did the art on the back of Powermaster Prime's box, that is still to this day my favorite Transformers Art ever. It is the only original box I still have from being a kid and I kept it because of that piece.
    That is the radio shack shockwave I have. I also had a purple one with that trigger, I think it was just added to it at some other time.

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Hey man!

Thanks for popping in. :) 

Good to see not everyone who worked on G1 is either
    a) "TransWHAT?"
    or
    b) "Sure, I remember! I created Transformers!"

Thanks for the original artwork, too! Those later-day battle scenes were awesome. :thumbs2: 

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Wow, thanks for sharing those with us. Some great work there.

4. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Those are awesome.

Always great to see stuff like this :thumb 

Cant help but love that one Soundwave/Ravage :lol 

5. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Instagram: colin_tfcon Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thanks so much for stopping by Richard, where is it you are working out of now?

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I just noticed the Sunstreaker pic. And he's obviously using his... rocket backpack.

Any chance you might be able to tell us what exactly happened there? That's another issue that has been bugging the fandom forever.

Sideswipe's tech specs mention a "rocket backpack" and arms that can "act as powerful pile drivers". Likewise, Sunstreaker's TFU profile mentions a "shoulder-mounted, laser-guided, ground-to-air missile launcher" and Sideswipe's "rear-mounted engine in his automobile mode". All of these are characteristics of the other toy, respectively.
    [​IMG]

The common theory is that the tech specs were swapped (as was the case with Starscream and Skywarp), but then, since the Diaclone version of Sunstreaker was only available in red (aside from the police variant), and Transformers Sunstreaker even still has the red stickers on his shoulders that cover up the black plastic part above the rear wheels (and which causes an odd breakup of the color in vehicle mode), whereas Diaclone Sideswipe had a yellow variant, my own theory is that the molds were swapped after the names had already been attributed to them instead.

However, your "Pencil By Number" pic of Sunstreaker using his rocket backpack to fly with the name "SUNSTREAKER" clearly attributed to him seems to support the "tech spec" theory. Do you still know what happened there?

7. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Too true. I recall interviews with some people that worked on G1, such as Donald F. Glut, where they just had terrible attitudes about TFs in general. It's nice to see someone with a positive outlook on their work with TFs you know?

Thanks for posting Mr. Marcej. It's certainly a priveledge. I enjoy how clean your style is. I imagine you got much better with time. Also, I like that you kept the look of the characters close to the toy designs. Transformers is first and foremost a kid's toy line, and I think what you did, from what I've seen, appealed to that notion rather well.

Nevermore, the rocket pack drawing could always just have been artist interpretation, leaving the mold swap theory to be true. That's one theory anyway! It'll be interesting to see if Mr. Marcej remembers about that.

8. RJM

RJM New Member

After I left Hasbro in '89 I worked for 11 years at Hallmark Cards. If you see on my online portfolio I worked on a lot of Warner Brothers, Peanuts, etc... Cards and stuff. So if you received or bought any of those during the 90's, they could have been my work.

In the last 5 years I've been the Creative Director for Tootsie Roll/Dubble Bubble Gum and Candy.

So, adding my self published comic books, my career has been Toys, Candy/Gum and Comic Books. Not bad for an "adult" :D 

That's probably What I did. Remember all the packaging were done with prototypes as my only reference, most of the time well before instructions of what the 'bot did or didn't do. So "artistic license" was used a lot.

I didn't know the Transformer R&D designers all that well. Probably because they were older than I was at that time (I was only 22 when I started there) I wound up hanging out with the designers closer to my age, like Bart Sears who designed C.O.P.S n' Crooks then.

The main Transformer package designer in the Hasbro Art Department was a guy named Mike Riley. He was a cool guy who was the only Transfomer package designer (which included instructions and other stuff) for the first two years. He was always swamped with work and I remember his cubicle always being wall-to-wall Transformers when you stopped by to see him.

Richard J. Marcej

9. Super_Megatron

Super_Megatron Instagram: colin_tfcon Administrator

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    You would happen to have any early versions of toys kicking around that never made it to market would you? Or ones that didn't quite look the way the mass release editions were?

10. Ktulu

News Credits:
    That's cool. Again, it's nice to know some of the people that worked on the property actually seemed to enjoy it. Most of the negativity has come from people that worked on the cartoon as far as I remember. The voice actors are all pretty positive even if it's hard for a few of them to remember much, but some of the writers and artists have been really negative about TFs, or confused about what their role really was in the first place.

11. RJM

RJM New Member

Oddly enough, if you have a copy of the original Transformers movie you'll see my name, along with other members of Hasbro's art department, listed in the end credits.

The Transformers Marketing head at that time, insisted that every person who had worked with the original Transformers get their name listed in the movie (as consultants I believe)

How cool is that, to be in your early 20's, and not only getting to work with a red hot new toy line, but getting your name in a movie as well!

Richard J. Marcej

12. Ktulu

News Credits:
    Definitely cool. Maybe I'll get to be part of something like that one day.

13. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    glad to have u on board RJM!

love the PM prime b&w rough btw. and i hate PM prime.

14. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I love that drawing of Sunstreaker because he was the "original" Car Robot in Japan, so that drawing gives him a special superhero feel.