Secret origins behind most 3rd Party TFs?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by blaynescott, Sep 6, 2011.

1. alternator77

alternator77 Well-Known Member

iirc ecline got dons blessing for his rendition which is fantastic.

2. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

If they're willing to steal from two international corporations, I doubt that they'd bat their eyes at stealing from people like us. ;) 

3. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am actually happy the iGear Mp seekers are based on the MP mold from Has/Tak.

I would not have even considered buying them if they were not the same design asthetic.

I think Gryph is trying to make you "unwashed masses" think about just how perfect the iGear seekers molding is. Almost as if they had access to the molds.

Now I know there is the ignorant idea floating around that the Chinese manufacture companies could be bribed into letting iGear use the molds. It is an ignorant theory because it isn't like there are hundreds of these molds floating around with thousands of people being able access them. If the manufacture facility was allowing the illegal use of Has/Tak's molds, Has/Tak could drop the hammer strong enough to close the facility down. I actually wonder if Has/Tak allows some of these things to be made.
    I could not possibly care less about whichever person wants to come in with their interweb law degree and try to tell me why I am wrong. I have my reasons. ;) 

The iGear seekers are a good bit different than WJ's custom seekers.

MP Coneheads revisted Here is the thread he used at S70 for them. Small but obvious changes.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This is still the most insane fan theory about anything that I've ever seen.

5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    I think you misunderstood me. I don't like what iGear does. What I was referring to, was people acting like there's no difference between making a toy that resembles a character, and outright copying an actual toy.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Oh, most of us get it, rest assured. But the thing is, we just don't care who makes the toys, lol. Whoever makes the best figures gets my money, that's really all there is to it. If that makes me evil, well, I always did like the villains better than the heroes. XD

7. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

The end result between the two is the same.

It's an infringement of IP, and both weaken the trademark strength of Transformers.

Further, Hasbro has to take the same legal actions against both, so in every single effective way, they're identical to one another.

8. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...ya know... Jizaitoys really should find a way to mass produce their stuff... the transformations on a number of the customs are ingenious!

I mean look at the wacky designs from the 2008 set:
    [​IMG]

While messed up... I'm not surprised if 3rd parties have stolen designs from this site...

Getting back into topic... iGear is a questionable 3rd Party. Until recently, their figure releases of notoriety were down-scaled versions of Masterpiece Prime and Starscream... basically mini-KOs. Also, they don't claim their PP-series items as their own... the source of the items well... I guess mums the word there. But you shouldn't take iGear as THE example of 3rd Parties...

As for designs being stolen in general... nah... it may be possible that some designs are stolen... but not all 3rd parties do that. I wouldn't be surprised if a few hired freelancers to design stuff... but that is probably unlikely for all companies.

Fansproject most likely has to have some sort of in-house group. The aesthetics for Warbot (Springer), City Commander (Ultra Magnus), Protector (Rodimus), and the not-Insecticons are pretty much related.

9. OptionZero

OptionZero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    City Commander, Protector, and Defender were designed by the same guy in Fansproject.

10. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    but the thing about stuff like this is that they are changing it enough so that it isn't the exact thing, thus making it legal enough to get away with.. I honestly don't understand the problem everyone has with what Igear has done with the seekers.. Prime, I'll give you credit... By it, they did a fan service by shrinking the Convoy mold down to be better scaled with the Seeker mold, but the conehead seekers is something that was customized, and then given permission to be cast and sold to a small production run. Nothing illegal, or wrong with that. (Gryph, I'm not attacking you man, just using your post as an example, so no hard feelings toward you for your opinion from my end dude, :) )

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I purchased the seekers and even I can see how it is a big no-no. I guess I'll just leave it at that because I don't think we need to go in depth with it and derail the thread. Obviously since I purchased them I can see both sides of the plate.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Actually, no they aren't. What they're doing is absolutely illegal. Tons of KOs give existing figures new heads, or accessories. They're still illegal. Hasbro PATENTS every single figure they make. There's no way around that. No matter how many modifications iGear makes, they're clearly using Hasbro and Takara's engineering, sculpting, and characters. So they gave them new heads, and new wings. Big deal. Make a KO iphone that uses all the OS and technology, but the only difference is a different back plate, and see how legal that turns out to be.

There is no way they have permission from Hasbro or Takara to do the coneheads. There's no evidence of it, and it's just absurd from a business standpoint. It's just a few people assuming they have permission, based on nothing but their own imaginations. If they had legal permission, that means it would be licensed, it would be noted on the packaging, and they'd be paying license fees. We would know. I know some people like hinting that they know something super secret that backs up what they're saying, but since they're conveniently unable to share the "proof" because it's SECRET, it's all the same "he tell me" bullshit that dozens of people have spewed here for the past decade whenever they want to pretend they have super special secret knowledge of something that doesn't actually exist.

At best, it's a case of Hasbro pretending to be ignorant of them, because they know the fans like them. They do the same thing with Reprolabels. At worst, Hasbro is trying to take them down, but just can't find them, or their hands are tied due to the stupidity of what passes for a chinese legal system.

It's okay to like them. Just don't pretend they're legal, or that they have permission to make them. They don't.

13. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I meant the coneheads in particular, not so much the upcoming sunstorm and beyond stuff they are supposedly putting out.. Don't get me wrong, I understand where everyone is coming from with their points with the situation, I was just saying that they changed it up enough so that there weren't any legalities to go against them.. Idk, I'm tired, maybe that wasn't my point, LOL!!! Either way, I see both sides with the Igear stuff I guess.. Live and let live I say!!