Second Time Around - TFSource Article

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    First impressions are everything, or so the saying goes. Is it different for Transformers toys? We can occasionally find ourselves the victims of hype, influence and enabling. The enthusiasm of a friend, a group or the fandom generally can rub off on us and we may buy things we initially didn’t want to. So, it helps to see Transformers toys in hand, in the flesh, before making a decision. As part of an active and ever-growing group of local Transformers enthusiasts in London, we bring new Transformers to pub meets and fascinate/horrify the other patrons with our tables full of robots. This is a great way for collectors to experience figures and make more informed buying decisions. However, occasionally the experience of exploring a new toy while in a large group of people, in dimly lit surroundings and in a social environment may result in an inaccurate assessment. Sometimes, just coming back to a toy after a period of time, or after some modifications, can make a big difference. This week I look at my experience with a select group of Transformers where the second time around has yielded a much more favourable response.

Second Time Around | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 8
  2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Was it my CW UM you saw at the pub? If it was maybe you're just adverse to my toys...

As to second time around, well it's more like getting to know the toys better. I still haven't opened my TR Highbrow plus a couple other bits until I feel I've had enough time with some older stuff. Having said that OSKOSS dropped today and he's immense, in every sense of the word... and I was not enamoured with MP-12 nearly as much, or indeed by Stevil33's OSKOSS when I saw it in hand... second time around eh?

3. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Second time around and the peace, comfort, undisturbed tranquility (with our kids, yeah right :lol ) of our own homes.

And yes it was your Magnus!

All the best
    Maz

4. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I knew it. You just hate my stuff.

5. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I liked your 3-step Bisk just fine!

All the best
    Maz

6. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Like I said in another thread, I'm glad you had a chance to really handle the toys and get a better impression. It just absolutely floored me that you were so ready to dismiss PMOP the first time around when, in my hands, I thought it was a beautiful figure. Sure, it has its flaws that come with it being part of the Generations line...but I really feel the sum of its parts outweighs them.

I now apologize for earlier impressions of elitism. This article proves that you are willing to go back to the well for a second impression. Bravo.

7. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    And I'm basically saying the same. +1 :thumb 

8. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Elitism? Have you not read the article with 3 Step Bisk? Quite possibly the least Elitist toy ever!

9. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    No, I haven't. The article about Titans Return in question came about a month ago. The way the article was written came across with an air of elitism, in my opinion. It somewhat tarnished my opinion of Maz. But, I am able to say when I am proven wrong.

10. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what everyone else's problem is, that's definitely a space bridge.

Also fun fact: the Roman dye "Tyrian Purple" was held in similar regard for the amount of work that went into producing it (requiring many many sea snail shells just to extra rather small amount of the dye). That purple was more of a red wine color though, like Marvel Comics Shockwave.

11. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:

That's really good of you both, thank you. Genuinely appreciated :) 

Wow, awesome. Many thanks for sharing!

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  12. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Good stuff Maz, as always. I like Galvatron, though the flip up mask does bug the heck out of me. I'm not sure I will ever come around on MP Smokescreen though. I think my G1 Smokescreen looks incredible in robot mode, and I really do not like the anime aesthetic of the robot head sculpt. But I can't complain too much about the MP line, we have been so many great pieces there.

13. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

The light purple on Galvatron severely bums me out. I should have dropped the preorder, but I thought it might look better in hand.

Getting the 86 movie Blu-Ray recently makes it even worse. Its just way off. That is an interesting explanation of significance of that light purple to their culture though.

I like everything else about it, though.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  14. MartyFeeb

MartyFeeb Wait... it's a bug?!

News Credits:
    Does your PMOP have loose elbows? Mine does something FIERCE, similar to the loose hips of Skullcruncher! :(  I'm really sad that this sort of thing is expected nowadays, so I don't know if I have a defective one or if it's just par for the course (the new, low QC Hasbro).

Anyway, I have to say I LOVE your church mode! :lol  I can totally see the space bridge mode, and really commend you for thinking of that. Me? I can't really be bothered - I kind of hate the new modes. It's a funny thing: I LOVE base-mode TFs with a passion (those mini Micromaster sets were the best, imo). But I really LOATHE how Hasbro is just deleting historic figures and slapping the gimmick on Optimus. Or Bumblebee. Or one of the other 2-3 characters they spam.

This base mode on PMOP and Blaster should be great... but to me, it's a big exclamation point to the fact that they will likely never release the original base toys, or toys that had legitimate base modes (i.e. Trypticon, Scorponok, which, despite being in development, should really have been released multiple times and in multiple versions by now!). Instead... wee... another Optimus... and he can be a base... woo... :rolleyes2  Call me a purist, but I've seldom used a hammer to drill and vice versa. And think about the reality: the only time you drill with a hammer is when you lack an actual drill! ;) 

Oh, and that Galvatron slap-on helmet is obnoxious. Not because it looks a little bad and doesn't move right - the more annoying part (to me) is that they felt it necessary to slap a stupid, kid-friendly gimmick that's clearly meant for young kids. Pop up masks? Ehhhhh... I think most adults would not be impressed... Not when they could have done a proper helmet, for example. That would be way better, even if it was some kibble. Put some dang missile pods on the back of his helmet and a peg to use it as a makeshift weapon or something!

15. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    A UK member @ambitron is using a repainted MP Prowl helmet and Streak face to create a toy accurate Smokescreen head, so combined with the reprolabels, could make the perfect creature you are after?

Yeah that seems to be what bugs most people I speak to, that it isn't movie or screen accurate. I think somewhere down the line I just assumed there was some deep Japanese fictional relevance to the lighter purple and I adored it on the reissue G1 Galvatron. It's beautiful to me, though, and it made it more attractive than the Hasbro version too. Of course now I like the mould, I'll be looking for a cheap Hasbro version as well...

Actually now that you mention it, I did notice a little bit of looseness on one elbow for the swivel, but not up and down motion. My SDCC Fort Max has crazy looseness in the same swivel.

I think if they had repeatedly used Fort Max, Tryp and Scorp for base mode Transformers in successive lines down the years, it may be seen as not so special an event as it is currently. I have enjoyed being part of the Fortress Maximus 'event' so to speak. I felt part of something massive (*groan*).

I can't disagree about the Galvatron helmet, I would love to have the rationale of it explained to me, at least then I could have some understanding and appreciation of the choice instead of pure frustration. Luckily, he has a whole lot more going for him :) 

All the best
    Maz

16. Flash1087

Flash1087 Maybe in an Alternate Dimension

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fantastic post as always, and it just makes me feel all the worse about not having opened my Delta Magnus yet, despite my decades-long obsession with the original Powered Convoy.

Also, I really appreciate your explaining the TT Galvatron color scheme. I like the mold well enough, but the lavender color really put me off, especially in light of the much richer Hasbro color scheme. I'm still not sold on the Legends version, but the explanation was helpful!

17. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Thank you so much for the kind words! I too managed to not make Delta a priority despite the long time appreciation for its history and original figure. Life and distractions just get in the way, huh?

Oh all thanks must go to @Napalm for the explanation of the Galvatron colours! :) 

All the best
    Maz

18. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Indeed, great article as always, Maz. It's always nice when you return to a figure and realise you like it a lot more than you did when you first bought it.

Indeed, I love G1 Smokescreen (the toy). He was one of my favourite TFs as a kid - the colours were great, the rally car look was up there for me with Jazz in terms of vehicles, and I still think Smokescreen has some of the best box art out of all the Transformers. I was gutted when he turned up in the cartoon and looked like a complete doofus. What did they do to him? Why? Just look at his face in the box art - that pointy nose and sticky-out chin. I don't know why they didn't just use that as the basis for his cartoon model. I disliked the shovel-faced cartoon version so much that I clearly erased it from my memory. When the Datsun MPs were announced, I was very excited for Smokescreen - until I was reminded of his cartoon model and saw his head sculpt. So yes, inspired by Maz's pictures in his article, which reminded me how great the car mode is and that I had always intended to swap his head, I finally got around to taking mine apart and making a toy version. (I'll post some pictures in Radicons at some point.)

Back on-topic, I think MP Soundwave is one that I appreciate more now than I did when I first got him, as well as TigerTrack (the comic in TF Generations helped me appreciate the latter). I'm trying not to be tempted by those Titans Return figures, but I see a very nice-looking Bumblebee coming with Wave 3, dammit...

• Like Like x 1
  19. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:

20. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There are a few figures that I had, sold, repurchased, sold again, repurchased again...and I can't recall actually enjoying any of them the second or third times around. I bought them because "I had that as a kid...why did I sell it again?" and having it in hand again reminded me why I sold it.