Season 3 Rodimus

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Saberblade, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Saberblade

Saberblade Why not?

Ebay:
    I know a lot of people hated Hot Rod/Rodiimus for having Optimus killed. I think Rodimus did a great job as a leader Under the circumstances he was in. He was the humbled inexperienced leader, he had Ultra Magnus and Kup around, that was a plus. Even Ultra Magnus once told him to have a little faith and trust himself more and in time he will be just as great Optimus once was. Rodimus, wasn't a softy soft as Optimus, he wasn't rude either, he cared about his fellow Autobots. He's being too hard on himself and that has to do with living with guilt of having Prime killed. When the writers decided to bring back the Great Optimus, everybody joyced at the idea of him coming back to life. That didn't help Rodimus's character development. Instead of having Optimus Prime come back and be leader again, he should have been Rodimus's mentor and guided him, just like Alpha Trion once did with Optimus when he first became leader.

• Like Like x 10
  2. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

That is what appealed to me the most about him. He was a fallible leader, and he knew it, but he let his knowledge of that cloud his judgement and give him doubts. That is why I enjoyed him a lot more than Optimus, because the doubts just made him more human and relatable. You just wanted to go there and try to cheer him up.

And I said this before, and I'll say it once again, gotta give Dick Gautier props for his performance as both Hot Rod and Rodimus. His performance had the proper amount of energy, intensity and angst that I think Rodimus should have. To me, he will always be Rodimus.

• Like Like x 10
  3. Raiju

Raiju Yub Nub, y'all! Yub Nub!! Veteran

News Credits:
    As a kid, I hated Hot Rod and Rodimus Prime. In my young eyes at the time, no one could ever replace Optimus Prime as a leader and character. But as I got older, I realized that I was being too hard on Rodimus and started to sympathize with him more given the circumstances of him becoming the new Autobot leader.

He was constantly plagued by self doubt and never wanted the responsibility of being in command but eventually accepted and grew into it, which was an apt metaphor for every kid having to grow up and become a mature adult, whether they wanted to or not.

• Like Like x 8
  4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime System Pride

Not sure why you specified Season 3 when you seemingly included the Movie and season 4 as well.

That said I actually like your idea. Instead of giving Optimus the Matrix back and restoring the status quo or... having Optimus die AGAIN a few episodes later in the Japanese continuity... having him act as a mentor for Rodimus could of helped him grow as a character and given them something new to do rather than what they did.

Bringing Optimus back from the dead obviously did nothing to save the franchise as the show was canceled soon after.

Having Optimus immediately die again soon after was just dumb and defeats the point of even bringing him back at all.

I still think Rodimus should of offered to return the Matrix because it's true to his character being that he never wanted it and that's totally something he would have done. But I think Optimus should of turned it down saying "You're the leader now, the Matrix chose you for a reason, keep it." and then offered to take on a role as an advisor and second in command being there for guidance to Rodimus rather than just taking his old job and pretending Hot Rod was never a Prime before does nothing to add to the story. Hot Rod never develops as a character. It's never a good idea to reset the status quo like that unless you can bring something new and interesting into the story to counter balance it.

I think we kinda got an idea of what this could look like when Optimus came back to life in RID2015 while Bumblebee was leading his own team. I quite enjoyed seeing Optimus trying to take on a more advisor role and even having problems adjusting to not being the leader anymore. I would love to see something like that with G1 Optimus and Rodimus… though I don't think it would work quite the same because Bumblebee was a way more confident leader by the time Optimus comes back than Rodimus ever was so I can't see the two of them actually having issues over leadership when Rodimus doesn't want to be leader in the first place. They'd have to play that a little bit differently maybe having Hot Rod give up the Matrix regardless of if Optimus takes it back or not so Optimus has to convince him that the Autobots need Rodimus Prime.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Runamuck86

Runamuck86 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The way Rodimus wanted his old life as Hotrod back made him very relatable.
    I found him more interesting as a leader.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Longitudinalwave

Longitudinalwave A Big Fan of (Sound/Shock)wave

I may like Optimus Prime better, but I don't dislike Rodimus (except maybe at the tail end of "Fight or Flee", when he tells someone whose homeworld had literally just been BLOWN UP that "Cybertron's a better place anyway"). I think he was generally well-written in Season 3 and I certainly never found him to be whiny. Overall, however, I'm just sort of indifferent to him, through no fault of his own, because my father (who was about 11 when the 1986 movie came out) really disliked Rodimus Prime as leader, and passed some of that dislike down to me. I also find him more enjoyable as Hot Rod than as Rodimus, but that's entirely personal preference.

• Like Like x 3
  7. ScientistSkids

ScientistSkids Well-Known Member

He was great in the UK comic. I felt like his story was very compelling and well done there. Simon Furman had a great handle on the season 3 characters. Those were my first brushes with him outside of a few episodes I caught and the movie.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Um, in what version of Transformers did Hot Rod "have Optimus killed"? :confused: 

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Longitudinalwave

I suppose it depends on how you define "got him killed", because in no version does Hot Rod deliberately do something to put Prime in danger (in "Dark Awakening", they fought, but Prime was a Quintesson-controlled zombie in that one, and they also fought in "Return of Optimus Prime, part 2", but in THAT episode, Rodimus was infected with the Hate Plague). However, in the 1986 movie, Hot Rod's interference in the fight between Optimus and Megatron, which he actually did in an attempt to help Optimus, ended with Megatron overpowering him and using him as a shield against Optimus, allowing Megatron to fatally wound Optimus. Thus, in a very indirect manner, Hot Rod got Optimus killed, because, had he not intervened, Megatron might not have been able to fatally wound Optimus. I think that many of those who say that Hot Rod got Optimus killed are saying so partially in jest, but that's where it came from.

• Like Like x 3
  10. AMG

AMG Old School

I like Rodimus, he was a character with depth. Even with his on going inner doubts, he still took care of things as a leader admirably. I feel that Rodimus is a character that ages well and you appreciate him more as the years go on.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

The marvel adaptation says hello

And don’t you see a bit of a contradiction in that statement?
    Hot Rod got Optimus killed,

Megatron might not have been able to fatally wound Optimus.

If you can’t be certain about what might have happened then you can’t contribute all blame to Hotrod

Anyway, I say we blame Kup.....He was too lazy to help LOL

• Like Like x 3
  12. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    Can't we all just blame Optimus' death on Hasbro and call it a day?

• Like Like x 4
  13. Longitudinalwave

To clarify, I don't blame Hot Rod for Optimus' death! I was trying to clarify to someone else as to why some people might, and I guess it might not have worked as well as I intended! :oops:  Your Kup comment was funny. :lol 
    I second this!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Primeultra

But that would be no fun

15. Gunslinger99

Gunslinger99 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    But then we wouldn't have something to argue about for multiple pages.

• Like Like x 2
  16. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Ironically the way he was written in Season 3 was intended to make him dis-likable. In retrospect it made him even more relatable than Optimus was over two seasons. Supposing they didn't go that route I imagine he would have been written exactly the same as his predecessor

17. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime was shown to shoot the seatbelt straps on Spike from a distance while he was in a moving vehicle yet couldn't hit Megatron who wasn't very well hidden behind Hot Rod?

Prime hesitated. Hot Rod had tried to help him unlike Kup.

Since I first saw Rodimus Prime aged 10, he's been my favourite Autobot. I was one of the few kids who was glad Optimus died. Never liked him.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Primeultra

How do you figure it was intended?
    That would defeat the purpose of selling his toy

• Like Like x 1
  19. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Hasbro saw toy sales dropped from killing Optimus and they when they planned to bring him back they told the writers to make Rodimus as unlikable as possible. So when Optimus returned no one would feel upset about Rodimus Prime being demoted.

20. Longitudinalwave

Judging from the responses to this thread, that backfired....but it WOULD explain that bit in "Fight or Flee" I mentioned earlier.

• Like Like x 2