Season 1 G1 MP Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by tonewheelz, Aug 9, 2019.

1. tonewheelz

tonewheelz Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I just recently started collecting Masterpiece G1 figures with the intention of completing Season 1 G1 Masterpiece and/or Masterpiece scale characters. Below is what I've acquired so far, and what I still have left. I was hoping some of you experts could fill in any gaps I may have missed, and/or have any suggestions on better figures than what I have listed A few characters aren't in Season 1 (Loudpedal, Exhaust, or Grapple), but felt they were worth having. Perhaps Inferno would be worth having, from Season 2, or the Coneheads. Any suggestions, or recommended changes would be much appreciated!

Acquired or Preordered

MP-44 Optimus Prime Convoy - Preordered
    MP-21 Bumblebee
    MP-45 Bumblebee - preordered
    MP-12+ Sideswipe
    MP-39 Sunstreaker
    MP-36 Megatron
    MP-13 Soundwave - Preordered
    MTRM11 Meteor (Starscream)
    MP-47 Hound - Preordered
    MP-15 Ravage & Rumble
    MP-16 Buzzsaw & Frenzy
    MP-17 Prowl
    MP-20 Wheeljack
    MP-23 Exhaust
    MP-25L Loudpedal
    MP-35 Grapple
    MP-29+ Shockwave
    Ocular Max PS-01C (Mirage)
    MP-18+ Streak
    MP-27 Iron Hide
    MP-30 Ratchet
    XTB MX-VIII Aegis (Trailbreaker) - Preordered
    MTRM-12 Skycrow (Skywarp)
    MTRM-13 Lightning (Thundercracker)
    MTRM-09 Downbeat (Jazz)
    Toyworld Constructor TW-C07

Still left to acquire:

OTS-09 Grump (Gears)
    Ocular Max PS-09 Hellion (Cliffjumper)
    OTS-01 Huff (Huffer)
    OTS-02 Brawny (Brawn)
    FT-11 Spotter (Reflector)
    FT-08 Grinder (Grimlock)
    FT-07 Stomp (Sludge)
    FT-04 Scoria (Slag)
    FT-06 Sever (Snarl)
    FT-05 Soar (Swoop)
    FT-12 Grenadier (Bombshell) Insecticon
    FT-13 Mercenary (Shrapnel) Insecticon
    FT-14 Forager (Kickback) Insecticon
    FT-10 Phoenix (Jetfire)
    X-MM-VI Boost (Windcharger)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

I look at that and I can feel my wallet hurting.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Gastrotrain

Gastrotrain Well-Known Member

I'll always recommend checking out maketoys visualizers for Reflector. The non-partsforming lens could be something that appeals to you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tonewheelz

lol, me too, dude. Definitely gonna try to finish it slowly.

thanks! Gonna check out some reviews!

• Like Like x 2
  5. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Wow...that’s a ton of MPs in a short period of time! If you decide to go after an Inferno, take a look at Ocular Max Backdraft in case the official MP doesn’t suit your style. The official is more toon style while Backdraft is more toy style. I have Backdraft myself...he is fairly hefty and solid with the exception of some fiddly panels in vehicle mode. He is also surprisingly well articulated.

6. tonewheelz

Thanks for the suggestion! If choosing between cartoon or toy accuracy, I’m definitely going cartoon. Anything else on my list left to acquire that might be better replaced with another figure for cartoon accuracy?

• Like Like x 1
  7. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

Wait on Fanstoys Brawn.

8. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yes. The upcoming MP45 Bumblebee. He is cartoon as fug.

9. tonewheelz

oooh, thanks for bringing this to my attention. He looks good!

I have this on preorder lol. Forgot to add it to the list there.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

For the G1 Cassettes, you may want to check out the MMC/Ocular Max Ravage, Frenzy, and Rumble versions. They will scale better in bot mode than the TT MP versions. The bird cassettes by MMC are nice, but they are huge in comparison.

For the Insecticons, another option are the MMC series. You can get these on sale from time to time. They are pretty good IMO, but not perfect. For example, they are rather "underdetailed", and you may have to pick up some stickers to make them look as nice as the FT versions.

The FT Dinobots are a great choice. Stomp is might be the hardest to find. You may want to decide early on if you're just after the regular versions, or the limited edition "more shiny" X versions.

11. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What are the chances we get an MP Cliff jumper sometime soonish after MP-45? I know their alt modes are pretty different and they didn’t do it with MP-21, but still, seems like an opportunity there. If it were me, I’d move him down the list just in case.

12. tonewheelz

Dude yes! They also seem easier to acquire and much more affordable lol. As far as scale, they are MP scaled?

Thanks for the tip. With my luck, that’d happen too.

upon rewatching the 1st season, it looks like Grapple is in the 1st episode, but they call him Hauler lol. He lifts Hound up from the ravine after he got hit.

13. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Holy crap, that's an impressive collection in little time, but some of the "still to get" list might be difficult of expensive (the FT dinobots and Phoenix).

Possibly very small.

It all depends on what direction TT is going. If TT decide to make Cliffjumper some generic chibified car then it could come at any moment because there's no need for a license end it simplifies the design. However, in that case it wouldn't fit with the rest of the line, since all the Autobot cars are licensed cars...even the new Bumblebee is licensed.

Licensed means TT needs to buy permission from the car company, and in Cliffjumper's case that's potentally very difficult. Cliffjumper transformed into a Porsche and Porsche has not been forthcoming with the license in the past 16 years, despite several attempts by TT. (Some say because Porsche is very demanding, some say because Porsche thinks TF's aren't worthy of their brand, but most point to Porsche's war history: founder F. Porsche was good friends with Hitler, designed the VW Beetle for the Nazi party, redesigned the beetle to work as a military jeep and then produced it, designed and built tanks to helpt the Nazi's in the war, and after the war was put on trial for war crimes and spent time in prison; with guilt over the war still very much present in Germany and the Porsche company having been confronted with this past through protests in recent years, this would then mean war toys such as TF's don't get the license since it would be a public reminder of this war tainted past.) That means that if TT want's to continue with licensed cars, then they need the Porsche license and unless Porsche comes around, that won't happen.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Grimlock King

Grimlock King ME KING!

Ebay:
    Nice collection! I’m just a stickler on myself and stick with official licensed products though there have been some really good 3rd party items I’ve been resisting. The ONLY 3rd party item I picked up is Fans Toys Grinder (Grimlock) because it’s Grimlock and IMO up to MP scale done right on the character.

15. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow! First of all, thanks for the post. That was very informative and I had no idea about basically any of that.
    I never realized Cliff Jumper was meant to be a Porsche. His toy was a bumblebee repaint. Do you think making him a different kind of car would be a big deal, or would the fans not accept that? Make him a Mazda or something? (His Wikipedia page tells me that his second toy version in 1984 was a Mazda?) It seems like if they were going to go the Bumblebee repaint-route again they would have done it with MP-21 since that figure was more toy-accurate.

16. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Cliffjumper was not a Bumblebee repaint in G1. There are not-so-subtle differences between the two cars. Same proportions in bot and car mode, but different cars.

The Mazda is called Bumper.

Despite being a repaint of Bumblebee in many other lines since, there’s no way that Cliffjumper would ever be a straight repaint of Bumblebee in the MP line.

17. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

G1 Cliffjumper may have transformed the exact same way as Bumblebee, but he was not a repaint of Bumblebee. Just the same transformation to go from a completely different car to a similar shaped robot.

As for an MP, what @Sam said. The MP series is about accuracy to G1 and that includes the accurate altmode. Considering how much they remoulded Inferno to get Grapple (not just replacing the ladder arm with a crane, but structural remoulds as well), there's no way TT would make Cliffjumper simply a remould (and thus the wrong type of car). That's acceptable in a regular (main) line like the movies or classics, but for the MP they go for accuracy.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ah, thank you both for the clarification. What about just changing Cliffjumper's model to a different car that looks similar? I mean, it's not like the G1 cartoon was hyper detailed. Do you think people wouldn't go for that?

19. chchchch

chchchch Chunky Coherent

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I would most definitely go for MP-20+ over MP-20, if you are going for show accuracy. If not then it's just what you prefer!

20. tonewheelz

Thanks for the heads up! Might need to be on the back burner for a bit lol. I sorta jumped the gun with some of the non plus models.

• Like Like x 1