Seacons and Nightbeat Update

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Petes Robot Convention, May 23, 2008.

1. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:
    Yeah, I feel the same way. I joined at the beginning of the year, and getting the same old want ads and advertisements every month, with a small comic every two months isn't worth the money, imo. The free figures aren't great either.....clear Energon figures? Come on. So, I'd expect more of a discount for these club exclusives.

Heck, I'm part of the Joe Club too, and they have inserts in the middle of the newsletter EVERY month.

2. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    Only two FP exclusives to date: Airazor and now Nightbeat, have ever been 4 times the cost of the retail versions of toys using those molds. All others have been less than that (unless you count the value of a box set as ONLY including the toys, and not the convention it's intended to support. For those toys, I'd say the value of the loose set is a far fairer place on which to make such a judgment).

3. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

Well, to be fair, all of these free energon figures were planned, what, 5 years ago? It's not like they could know what all of the Cybertron/Animated/Classics figures were going to be back then to plan future exclusives with. I'm actually quite enjoying the club combiner, I can't wait to see him finished. As for after that, well, I'm willing to give them a chance to see what they come up with. Will we get another set spaced out over time, maybe figures that tie in with that year's Botcon so there's variety year-to-year, or something else entirely? I'm not arguing your opinion of the club, you're free to feel however you want, but knocking them for the energon figures isn't fair. It's not like every year they're scrambling to come up with an exclusive and saying "Hey, I know! Let's do another Energon figure!"

4. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Personally, I think it's funny that people bitch about the price for this, but if it were a Takara-Tomy release or eHobby they wouldn't bat an eye over price. I think the set is too much money, but then I'm not the people that bitch about all the seekers being made either. This hoby kills me, if it is from Japan and expensive it is worth it, and if it is from Hasbro and expensive people complain or wait for "clearence".

5. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed

News Credits:
    I wonder, if FP made a G1-style box for these guys (or any of their exclusives) would that make more people want to buy them? Not that I don't like the heavy duty card board and foam, I'm just curious about if the packaging really does help people make their decisions about purchasing items.

6. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I would actually prefer it to be packaged FP-style (assuming it is similar to the Botcon set and Astrotrain/Airrazor packaging). Even though the boxes don't have clear areas to showcase the toys I like how heavy-duty and glossy they are, and the inclusion of foam padding and artwork. It just makes them feel more like collectors' items to me.

But I could completely see how some folks would prefer G1-style packaging for the Seacons, since they are after all G1 molds.

7. Runamuck

Runamuck Sushi

News Credits:

Well, why do they plan these out 5 years from when they're supposed to be released? Is that just for these current figures or do they always do this? If they always do this, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Oh, and I had no idea they didn't plan them out every year.

8. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I am hoping for the FP foam insert boxes with bitchin' art.

It is great to be able to take them out and play with them and still store them in a great box. And the box art is great for display too.

9. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:

Well, most of them aren't planned out so far in advance, but they wanted to do a combiner, so they had to make the limb mold choices when they started the club 5 years ago. I think the decos are finalized as well, although those might be more open to tweaking.

As for if they always do this, it can't be answered, since the club combiner is the first and only set of free club figures they're offered. After the main piece is released next year, they could start another combiner, start offering free club pieces that tie in with that year's Botcon set, exclusives that are just fun one-offs that people want to see done, or stop doing them altogether. We won't know until after the club combiner is finished.

10. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    QFT. I love the FunPub boxes. I agree that it would be nice to have the option of a loose, bagged set as well.

11. nkelsch

Personally, I would love to see FP go into the 'box' business. They could make a box with official art and logos designed for holding retail figures in foam. like "TF ANIMATED WAVE 1" that has little foam holes for all the wave 1 figs.

It is a durable storage case that keeps the figs in great condition but allows people to open them. Best of both worlds.

12. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Eye-Goon > Perceptor

News Credits:
    Well, I don't think it's actually FP that makes the boxes, they probably contract some other company to do that for them as well. Hence the whole "packaging issues delay" and all that.

13. nkelsch

Well then FP should contract them to make packages for retail sets, I dunno, I think there would be a market for it.

:D 

14. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

That's actually a pretty good idea. Beats the hell out of Ziploc baggies and a cardboard box, how I currently have my Armada stuff stored away.

15. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Seconded, but I doubt it would be cheap. That's my only reservation. I'd pay maybe $30 for a nice display box to store several figures in, but much more than that and I'd pass.

16. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    The TFC boxes are awesome. Nightbeat is a must for me. Have the original Seacons, so, I don't need those...love the art, though! Can't wait to see Nightbeats'

but it is nice to be able to get them at all, because weren't these planned for the Universe line lone ago and no retailer picked it up or something? And if I recall a lot of folks were clamoring for the Club to pick them up, so we got our wish, no?

BTW, what are the production numbers on these?

17. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    I'm just not sure how this would work. It would have to be impractical to come up with a different foam cut-out for every retail toy. But they'd almost have to have an option for anything and everything out there, because character-specific boxes would probably not have sufficient appeal.

18. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Yeah, one of the things I failed to elaborate on in my reply above. While I certainly like the idea, I don't see there being enough interest in such a thing to make it economically viable for the club to do.

19. nkelsch

They already make custom foam cutouts for the figures they have released. So it is perfectly possible to make foam-cutouts for multiple toys.

Since a lot of collectors are completionists, they would choose a specific 'set' like Animated wave 1 and make a box with custom holes for all of the wave 1 figures. The box would only be designed for that. Just like the botcn 2008 box is only designed for the botcon 2008 figures.

I am not talking individual boxes for each retail figure, I am talking about a single box designed to hold a whole set of figures.

Also, many cases have foam inserts that are cubed to be customized. While we could all just make our own, I think that there could be a business case for an official licence holder to make them. The rest of us can't due to the Hasbro customization rules.

20. G.B. Blackrock

News Credits:
    Are we talking about the same thing? Every BotCon, they mass-produce nearly 1000 boxes, with 1000 foam inserts with specific spaces cut our for each. There are two options for boxes for retail toys. 1 )Only do boxes for a few toys/characters, and hope that there's a demand for boxes for the characters you choose. 2) Do boxes that can work for a multitude of characters. This has greater potential for sales, but how do you do a cut-out that will work with many different toys? No one cut-out design could possibly work. That means cutting out the foam insert separately for EACH order. Ain't gonna happen!

A bit better, but still, such a concept would never sell more than a VERY few boxes.